Toronto City Council Overwhelming Votes On 2024 Summer Olympic Bid

GBModerator

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who says that it's "still too early" to be thinking about 2024, especially when it comes to U.S. cities. This just goes to show, that if cities out there R SERIOUS, then its never too early to start planning, especially if you're thinking big like Olympics.

N now, that it seems that R neighbors to the north look like they want to gun for it, any interested U.S. cities better get their behinds rolling. Otherwise, this here could have a good potential to put a wrench into any near-term U.S. bid.

So who says that it's "still too early" to be thinking about 2024, especially when it comes to U.S. cities. This just goes to show, that if cities out there R SERIOUS, then its never too early to start planning, especially if you're thinking big like Olympics.

N now, that it seems that R neighbors to the north look like they want to gun for it, any interested U.S. cities better get their behinds rolling. Otherwise, this here could have a good potential to put a wrench into any near-term U.S. bid.

I don't think a Canadian win will hamper a USA bid like a USA win will hamper a Canada bid.

Really, now is the time for any city to start the machinations of a 2024 bid. North America and Africa aren't as impacted by what happens with 2020 as say Europe and Asia. But this is a big move for Toronto. The start of a third bid. And given the chance that an exotic locale like Istanbul could win 2020, then the chances would likely be greater that the IOC would be more willing to throw a bone to the 'old standards' for 2024 than host three exotics in a row. With the possibility of South Africa, a US bid, Toronto, and rumours of Paris and others, the 2024 race could be a hot one like 2012.

Certainly not me. As soon as the revenue deal was reached I said that anybody interested in 2024 needed to make their voice heard NOW. Up until the revenue deal, I could see laying low.

I don't know if it's important that these potential candidates go public, however -- not this early. What's important is that they communicate very clearly with the USOC. The USOC hasn't decided whether they are targeting 2022 or 2024. Los Angeles would look silly to say, "We're bidding for 2024," if then the USOC says, "Not so fast. We're going for 2022."

The USOC has to control the timetable of the publicity.

I agree, however, that if American cities are interested they should already be talking to the USOC.

Next thing you know, Canada may want to bid for the 2026 World Cup, a Commonwealth Games and possibly another Winter Olympics on top of all that. That could be a bit much, but it is not impossible to do all that, if Canadians can handle that kind of workload.

This board will go nuts with both a Canadian and African candidate in alone, much less anything else in the field.

These early preparations may well make the 2020 vote even more strategic than usual.

How though? I don't see any 2020 outcome that would have significant implications for 2024.

Istanbul would probably be SA's last choice, but I still don't see it as a deal-breaker for them.

That is the right move in term of timing to announce it now... reacting after the discussions made at Quebec SportAccord around a future Canadian Olympic bid and the question addressed on whether to bid for winter with Quebec or summer with Toronto ???

That is the right move in term of timing to announce it now... reacting after the discussions made at Quebec SportAccord around a future Canadian Olympic bid and the question addressed on whether to bid for winter with Quebec or summer with Toronto ???

Are you asking us that question or are you telling us something?

Well, let's not get too far ahead of things. This is just the first step needed. It could completely unravel if Toronto City Council fails to get enough local support and the nod from the the COC and support from business, provincial and federal governments and the rest of Canada. Things work a little more collaboratively in western countries. There are more partnerships to build and that all takes time. For example, Vancouver began its pursuit for 2010 somewhere after 1996.

Are you asking us that question or are you telling us something?

I was just saying that some of the reports I heard and read from SportAccord last month in Quebec, were mentioning people at the COC & IOC debating (after announcement by local and provincial politics that Quebec could bid in the future) the fact that it could be best to bid for the summer vs the winter & vice-versa !

Well, let's not get too far ahead of things. This is just the first step needed. It could completely unravel if Toronto City Council fails to get enough local support and the nod from the the COC and support from business, provincial and federal governments and the rest of Canada. Things work a little more collaboratively in western countries. There are more partnerships to build and that all takes time. For example, Vancouver began its pursuit for 2010 somewhere after 1996.

Yes, this is just the 1st step needed, and in due time reacting after what has been discussed in SportAccord !

I was just saying that some of the reports I heard and read from SportAccord last month in Quebec, were mentioning people at the COC & IOC debating (after announcement by local and provincial politics that Quebec could bid in the future) the fact that it could be best to bid for the summer vs the winter & vice-versa !

Yes, this is just the 1st step needed, and in due time reacting after what has been discussed in SportAccord !

The IOC was leaning which way?

I don't know if it's important that these potential candidates go public, however -- not this early. What's important is that they communicate very clearly with the USOC. The USOC hasn't decided whether they are targeting 2022 or 2024. Los Angeles would look silly to say, "We're bidding for 2024," if then the USOC says, "Not so fast. We're going for 2022."

The USOC has to control the timetable of the publicity.

I agree, however, that if American cities are interested they should already be talking to the USOC.

Y isn't it important to go public this early? Toronto is certainly not wanting to keep it under wraps. An interested city needs to start getting that imperative citzenry & business support, otherwise you risk being in the same boat that Tokyo 2020 finds itself in now, very low support. N then get critiqued for it by the IOC.

N also, the very reason that the USOC may not know which direction to go, whether 2022 or 2024, should be all the more reason any worthwhile Summer Olympic hopeful that might be interested to speak up & speak up now that the revenue deal has been finally reached. Especially if it's believed, like some have pointed out here, that the USOC maybe more inclined to Summer Games than winter ones. So let those summer cities make it easier for the USOC to decide by raising their hands up HIGH!

This board will go nuts with both a Canadian and African candidate in alone, much less anything else in the field.

These boards would be on FIRE if there's are American, Canadian, South African, & not to mention French, bids! It would make the race for 2008, the last time Toronto was in back in 2000/2001, PALE in comparison on these forums!

How though? I don't see any 2020 outcome that would have significant implications for 2024.

Istanbul would probably be SA's last choice, but I still don't see it as a deal-breaker for them.

I'm most curious about how an Istanbul 2020 win would impact the summer host cities for the rest of the 20s. IMO, the implications of the other two are pretty clear: if Madrid wins, then South Africa will get 2024 and Asia OR North America will get 2028, or vice versa. If Tokyo wins, then Europe will get 2024 (I just don't think the IOC will go 16 years between Games in Europe) and South Africa will get 2028. Of course, this assumes that South Africa will be able to launch a capable bid.

I'm not sure how an Istanbul win would be perceived, though. Would it eliminate a realistic chance for Asia for the rest of the 20s? Would it eliminate Europe for the rest of the 20s? Or would it be considered a win for the Middle East and therefore keep both Europe and Asia in play for 2024 and/or 2028? Either way, I think the best chance for a North American Games in the 20s is if Madrid wins; otherwise, I think the 20s will be wrapped up by South Africa and Europe/Asia.

I just fail to see this notion by some, that somehow Istanbul 2020 would take out both Asia & Europe. Turkey is a pretty ambiguous location that I don't C how it would impact anything. Sochi 2014 surely didn't impede PyeongChang from winning 2018, & people R always debating if Sochi is really in Europe or in Asia. It's really a neither here nor there issue.

Great news! It means Toronto may use its Pan American Games as an invitation card to the world for a possible Olympic Games 9 years later, kinda like Rio did. It's great to see cities building and improving olympic structure for continental games and beyond. Backing Canada already!

Y isn't it important to go public this early?

You and I have very different ideas about the role of the USOC. I am of the opinion that the USOC calls the shots and it is important for any interested cities to play by their rules. In my mind, that means that the USOC must control the timetable regarding prospective bids.

From my perspective, you appear feel that it's vital for a city to get early publicity thereby attracting the USOC's attention and motivating their decision. (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm mistaken.) I really don't think that's the way this works.

What counts is a quality bid from a quality city with quality leadership. That's what's needed to win. Early public declarations don't count for a great deal and I don't think they will be particularly persuasive to the USOC.

Of course it's possible that a a quality bid from a quality city with quality leadership will also make early public declarations, but I don't think the two necessarily go hand in hand.

You and I have very different ideas about the role of the USOC. I am of the opinion that the USOC calls the shots and it is important for any interested cities to play by their rules. In my mind, that means that the USOC must control the timetable regarding prospective bids.

Yet this hasn't stopped cities like Denver, Salt Lake & Reno from looking into their options & C what kind of plans that they can come with before they formally go to the USOC.

And again, if the USOC is really more interested in Summer Games, then they'd have to take Toronto into their calculations when trying to develop a strategy for a possible U.S. Summer bid.

Yet this hasn't stopped cities like Denver, Salt Lake & Reno from looking into their options & C what kind of plans that they can come with before they formally go to the USOC.

And again, if the USOC is really more interested in Summer Games, then they'd have to take Toronto into their calculations when trying to develop a strategy for a possible U.S. Summer bid.

That's true, but we have no idea if the publicity of Denver, Salt Lake & Reno has actually been EFFECTIVE.

I'm sure the US will take Toronto into their thinking.

These boards would be on FIRE if there's are American, Canadian, South African, & not to mention French, bids! It would make the race for 2008, the last time Toronto was in back in 2000/2001, PALE in comparison on these forums!

The entertainment value of these boards alone if that were to happen should make even the most antis of all antis hope for a Toronto, American, South African and Paris race.

Archived