FIFA World Cup 2026 .... Canada

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2. Our Canadian colleague has already said that the BMO cannot be expanded beyond 28,000 seats. Therefore the Rogers Centre would be the ideal 2nd stadium in Toronto.

3. An AFL game does far more damage to a playing surface than a MLB game which is why the surface needs a longer rest. As for the Blue Jays not wanting to switch the pitch all the time, we are not talking about a regular tennant sharing the surface for the next 10 years - we are talking of a small window of 2 weeks for a one off event only. The Raiders and Athletics and until recently the Dolphins and Marlins have done this with no problems for years to the playing surface at least.

It's not ideal at all. It would be nice for it to be ideal because of the capacity, but your desire to over-simplify the situation with the Blue Jays isn't going to play out so well when it actually comes down to it. You make it seem like the Blue Jays could finish a series on a Sunday and that Rogers Centre would be ready to host a World Cup match only a couple of days later. And then after the World Cup, it would only take a day or 2 to switch back for baseball. Let alone that you'd try and schedule all these games in a 2 week window to minimize the impact on the Blue Jays. There's no way that FIFA is going to make it that easy for them, especially when they normally want a stadium's calendar cleared well in advance. Will they make an exception for Rogers? Maybe. Either way, they're going to want to play at least a couple of test events there. It's not like the Silverdome in 1994 where they had a chance to play a test event the year before and then had all the time they needed to set up for the World Cup. And you can't necessarily use Oakland and Miami as your basis of comparison because A) those are still outdoor stadiums, so it's easier to maintain a natural grass surface and B ) if they do install grass at Rogers Centre, it's only going to be a provision for baseball, not for other events. Like you said, this is a one-off event, not something they'll have all that much experience with doing and there may be better alternatives to the costs of using Rogers Centre

4. And finally again your American arrogance shows through. Firstly, the U20 World Cup Finals involving 20 teams was held at 6 locations - Montreal,Ottawa,Toronto, Edmonton, Burnaby, Victoria

You sneer at the 22,987 average per game, but this was this average beat the likes of Portugal 1991, Australia 1993, Qatar 1995, Malaysia 1997, Nigeria 1999, Argentina 2001, UAE 2003, and the Netherlands 2005.

So some major Soccer nations, where the sport is No1 yet couldn't achieve the same average per game as the Canadians who had some smaller capacity stadiums in the mix, meaning not only were these well attended, but the large grounds were also fuller. Translate that level of enthusiasm for an age group event and it is clear why FIFA like the idea of a Canadian World Cup

The 2007 U20 actually involved 24 teams, not 20, but that's beside the point. I'm not sneering at the attendance figures. It's definitely impressive that they managed to draw crowds like that and they deserve the praise they got from FIFA. That said, it's still small potatoes compared to the World Cup. The largest crowd for the U-20 I believe was just under 56,000. The AVERAGE crowd for the 2010 World Cup was just under 50,000 and that's for 64 matches with more teams doing more travelling. It's 3 million-plus tickets versus 1 million-plus. Not a small difference. Could Canada handle a World Cup? I believe they could, although easier said than done without spending some money to make their bid look a little more impressive. Are they the best option when compared to the United States (and we know what's offered there.. they made it pretty clear for the 2022 bid)? Even our resident Canadian here seems to have doubts. I know Canada is probably looked upon more favorably these days at FIFA than the Untied States is, but is the natural progression for them to go U-20 to Women's World Cup to World Cup with the United States having gotten nothing in between? I have my doubts on that one.

It's not ideal at all. It would be nice for it to be ideal because of the capacity, but your desire to over-simplify the situation with the Blue Jays isn't going to play out so well when it actually comes down to it. You make it seem like the Blue Jays could finish a series on a Sunday and that Rogers Centre would be ready to host a World Cup match only a couple of days later. And then after the World Cup, it would only take a day or 2 to switch back for baseball. Let alone that you'd try and schedule all these games in a 2 week window to minimize the impact on the Blue Jays. There's no way that FIFA is going to make it that easy for them, especially when they normally want a stadium's calendar cleared well in advance. Will they make an exception for Rogers? Maybe. Either way, they're going to want to play at least a couple of test events there. It's not like the Silverdome in 1994 where they had a chance to play a test event the year before and then had all the time they needed to set up for the World Cup. And you can't necessarily use Oakland and Miami as your basis of comparison because A) those are still outdoor stadiums, so it's easier to maintain a natural grass surface and B ) if they do install grass at Rogers Centre, it's only going to be a provision for baseball, not for other events. Like you said, this is a one-off event, not something they'll have all that much experience with doing and there may be better alternatives to the costs of using Rogers Centre

The 2007 U20 actually involved 24 teams, not 20, but that's beside the point. I'm not sneering at the attendance figures. It's definitely impressive that they managed to draw crowds like that and they deserve the praise they got from FIFA. That said, it's still small potatoes compared to the World Cup. The largest crowd for the U-20 I believe was just under 56,000. The AVERAGE crowd for the 2010 World Cup was just under 50,000 and that's for 64 matches with more teams doing more travelling. It's 3 million-plus tickets versus 1 million-plus. Not a small difference. Could Canada handle a World Cup? I believe they could, although easier said than done without spending some money to make their bid look a little more impressive. Are they the best option when compared to the United States (and we know what's offered there.. they made it pretty clear for the 2022 bid)? Even our resident Canadian here seems to have doubts. I know Canada is probably looked upon more favorably these days at FIFA than the Untied States is, but is the natural progression for them to go U-20 to Women's World Cup to World Cup with the United States having gotten nothing in between? I have my doubts on that one.

Growing grass in the Rogers Centre should cause little problem. The actual roof coverage retracts to the North so as the sun progresses from East to West it affords the greatest amount of sun hitting the playing surface. Having seen the Blue Jays play in the Rogers Center I am personally aware of this fact. Whilst the size of baseball fields can vary, I cannot see the Blue Jays not covering the floor of the Centre with a playing surface in which case this would be large enough to accommodate a football (soccer) field. And FIFA, as demonstrated with the Parc des Princes in 1998 are happy to be flexible to ensure the best facilities are available. Its not like the IOC.

As for the natural progression, then in CONACAF there is not one, certainly not on the scale of the Euros or Copa America. The natural progression is a) World Age Group Tournament B) Full Women's World Cup and then ... c) Full Mens' World Cup.

With regard to attendance .... you look at scalability. When the Dutch held an age group tournament they got about 11,000 on average. For the full Euros it was over 30,000. Likewise with Portugal. So you can readily accept that the attendance levels double when you host the full age group event compared to the age restricted event.

And lets not forget that the Rogers Centre was designed to be a MULTI-PURPOSE stadium. When arenas can swap between a hardcourt surface and ice in 24hr, how difficult is it to swap sports playing on the same surface?

Growing grass in the Rogers Centre should cause little problem. The actual roof coverage retracts to the North so as the sun progresses from East to West it affords the greatest amount of sun hitting the playing surface. Having seen the Blue Jays play in the Rogers Center I am personally aware of this fact. Whilst the size of baseball fields can vary, I cannot see the Blue Jays not covering the floor of the Centre with a playing surface in which case this would be large enough to accommodate a football (soccer) field. And FIFA, as demonstrated with the Parc des Princes in 1998 are happy to be flexible to ensure the best facilities are available. Its not like the IOC.

intoronto can correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but I believe the roof is normally kept closed except when they have events there. So that would be a pretty big change in policy to leave it open all the time. And again, all indications of the plans (preliminary as they may be) for grass at Rogers Centre is that it would make the stadium baseball-only during the summer, that they wouldn't slide the stands into position for CFL football or other events at the stadium. If it was that easy to install a grass surface to cover both configurations of the stadium, they probably would have done it already. But the reason you're hearing about the Argonauts being kicked out is not because they're worried about the condition of the field.. it's because they simply don't want to go through the trouble of installing grass to cover both them at the Blue Jays. Who knows if that philosophy will change, but thus far, it's clearly not what's being considered, certainly not in the short term.

• 4 weeks later...

(^) Actually I don't have my doubts I think Canada can host the 2026 WC. However its better to spend the money on the impovement of the national team

Well, Canada is ranked currently above Qatar, which is going to host the 2022 World Cup. And, until South Africa 2010, the host team always get to the knockout stages of the World Cup. As of this post being uploaded, Canada ranks 77th; Qatar ranks 91st. If the trend continues, Qatar will overtake South Africa as the lowest-ranked national team that qualified for the World Cup because of hosting rights. Besides, Canada did qualify for the World Cup once: 1986. Qatar: zero, until 2022.

I wouldn't count Canada out, in terms of possibly hosting the World Cup. The 2015 Women's World Cup will be a "big test" for the country and FIFA. It is also the only G8 nation not to host the World Cup yet, with Russia getting the nod for 2018.

It seems that the Canadian Soccer Association is, on principle, wants to bid for the 2026 World Cup.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/opinion/2012/07/canadian-soccer-association-to-bid-for-2026-world-cup.html

Not going to happen. Canada just doesn't need the stadiums that would be required for this, Canada doesn't have the influence within FIFA and like our English-speaking cohorts, Canada will not bow to ridiculous and corrupt demands of FIFA.

• 2 months later...

If you look at the last 5 world cups held or proposed to be held between 2006 and 2022 the average capacity attendance of the venues (or proposed capacity) is as follows:

2006: 52,390 seats (10venues)

2010: 51,460 seats (10venues)

2014: 53,376 seats (12venues)

2018: 51,144 seats (14venues)

2022: 50,484 seats (12venues)

FIFA's rules which are always fluid, stipulate a minimum capacity of 40,000 seats and the final to have 80,000 seats. There should be 10 host cities of which one can have 2 venues.

Could Canada offer the following

1x 80,000 seat stadium - Toronto?

3x 60,000 seat stadiums - Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver?

6x 40,000 seat stadiums - Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Halifax (?) Hamilton or 2nd Toronto?

Because if she can then she has reached the average 50,000 seat capacity generally offered by the previous 5 hosts

I have a few questions:

- When was the last World Cup Appearance for Canada?

- When Canada is not in the World Cup, who do Canadians root for? Nobody? England? Another country?

- 1986 ... when have Qatar qualified for the World Cup? With geographical rotation unless FIFA changes their rules Europe (2018) and Asia (2022) are out. Canada have held at least 4 FIFA age group tournaments in the last few years which can be considered a stepping stone. And if FIFA are serious about taking football to new countries .....

- Who do the English cheer for when England don't qualify like in 1994? Or the Scottish since 1998? or Russians in 2010? Or the Dutch in 2002?

I have a few questions:

- When Canada is not in the World Cup, who do Canadians root for? Nobody? England? Another country?

There is no one country that Canadians cheer for. Usually its a mix.

I've given up on trying to make sense out of FIFA. I personally wouldn't vote for Canada, but whose to say FIFA won't. FIFA is the one place where the USA, Canada and Haiti all have a chance of being on equal footing.....

Sorry. I meant "who's to say FIFA won't?"

I have a few questions:

In Toronto, judging by the car flags out there, there's a lot of support for England, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal, Poland, Brazil, Argentina and Korea. Though I suspect much of the Brazil/Argentina/Spain flags are not actually waved by the Brazilian/Argentinian/Spanish.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Canada is out of qualifying for Brazil 2014. However, in FIFA's latest rankings before that loss to Honduras, Canada's ranking was 61st. Not bad, considering that I think Canada's highest ranking I could think of was in the 40s.

I don't agree, you guys have a story in 1986. Qatar also lost yesterday and I don't believe that they can qualify for 2014 nor in 2018. Canada can't give up an bid only because they played badly one game.

Yea I was exaggerating. Obviously Canada hosting wouldn't be as bad as Qatar hosting, but men's soccer in Canada has a long way to go before they are worthy of hosting a World Cup. It's sad as a supporter of Canadian soccer for 15 years to actually see them perform worse over time.

Archived