The 2012 Team Australia News and Hospitality Thread

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Matt Mitcham, even if he indulged in the 'stick it to the poms' crud before the games. He has a great sense of humour and doesn't take himself too seriously - take note Tom Daley with your publicist. Unfortunately FINA decided on a 'stick it to Mitcham' campaign after the shock of Beijing, downgrading the difficulty of his best dives, ramping up on things that suit the Chinese. The events that require scoring judges always leave me feeling politics play a part. I'm not saying he dived well today, just thinking it must be hard when the federation decides it doesn't like you.

Bummer about Matt - he truly is a nice guy (I've met him, he's very unassuming). Still, I think it would have been uphill for him against Tom Daley and the Chinese anyway. I can now cheer on Tom with no reservations. And maybe slip away from the event anyway - I've heard enough of God Save The Queen to last me for a while, and I suspect my seat is in the nosebleed section. I just wanna see the inside of the Aquatics Centre, and I can leave London happy.

If Aussie win the gold in Sailing apparently it will be the first time since 1920 that one country has won 4 gold medals in sailing. Thats an achievement there. Its locked at 2-2! With the decider about to start.

Jeez, if it wasn't for sailing, our tally would be looking a lot sicker!

You Aussies have been pinching many of our sailing medals! We topped the table for sailing in the last 3 games and now on our home turf, you go and steal 'em from under our nose!.

I guess its revenge for the cycling! ;)

Epic performance by Australia overall...The Gold count doesn't do justice....Silver means you came close to toppling huge the big boys.

Don't be so hard on yourselves at the lower gold haul...Be proud of the overall total.

And, for Rols manly, you are still going to gobble up most of the Golds in Glasgow. Team Great Britain has to break up for that!

Well done Australia...big brother of 'Team Oceania'.

Epic performance by Australia overall...The Gold count doesn't do justice....Silver means you came close to toppling huge the big boys.

Don't be so hard on yourselves at the lower gold haul...Be proud of the overall total.

And, for Rols manly, you are still going to gobble up most of the Golds in Glasgow. Team Great Britain has to break up for that!

Well done Australia...big brother of 'Team Oceania'.

Well said... I second this!

I'm extremely happy with how we went. I mean swimming was the only major let down but was still great to watch and i think we are starting to see the beginning of other countries dominance in the pool (mostly China). Hopefully we get some of our coaches back to Australia and find some new athletes to power us at Glasgow and Rio! Also hope Matt Mitcham doesn't retire and stays for Rio. Very proud at sailing 3 golds very nice! Although we are 10th on gold tally we are 7th for total which is a great result and 5th for silvers an amazing result! We may be overtaken on the tally lets hope not! Overall a reasonable games for Australia. Can't wait for 2016!

You'd better talk to Rols about how to get through your first post Olympics downer on Games Bids. Takes about three months, but then we build up to the 2020 Bid Round next year!

Rols...amoungst others.

Games Bids has been around since the late 90's when Canada bided for the 2008 OSGs. I've been here since Athens. There is a core group of around a hundred members that you've probibly noticed...

Hang around, you still get involved in 'Other' sports events and Commonwealth Games feature along with other regional games.

So is Rols the oldest member on these forums?

Far from it, though I've been here since just before Athens 2004.

The likes of Kendegra, Citius Altius Fortius, Thatsnotmypuppy, Michelle and Guardian are among the longest servers here still posting. And gams time always brings a few old timers back - I noticed a few when I logged in here and there.

Far from it, though I've been here since just before Athens 2004.

The likes of Kendegra, Citius Altius Fortius, Thatsnotmypuppy, Michelle and Guardian are among the longest servers here still posting. And gams time always brings a few old timers back - I noticed a few when I logged in here and there.

he meant the oldest member of this forum.

HAHAHAHAHHAHA I've already started to experience it in real life, going to be a long 4 years, lucky there is the 2020 bidding and then sochi games and then beginning of 2024 bidding!

Sochi should be here in no time. Whereas after Vancouver, there was a one and a half year wait to the 2018 hosting decision, and then another year to London, now it's just a one year wait to the 2020 decision, and then another six months to Sochi. It's the best part of the Olympic cycle.

Archived