Eurovision Song Contest 2013

That was, in many respects, a well-produced show. Two major cock-ups, however: the voting (one 12 points appearing on screen before it was announced and announcing the winner with 4 countries left to vote) and the massive over-run, which could have been avoided with the opening reduced by 4 minutes and the interval reduced by 10. I LOVED how Sweden drew a cultural line in the sand: this is what European values mean and if you don't like it, go play somewhere else. And oh yeah, a very queer show too. ;)

The winner? Meh. And it looks like very much a compromise winner, since the juries and televoters seem not to have agreed on their favourite so far. I've done some mathematical sleuthing for ESCInsight to try and ascertain the Italian jury ranks. More info here.

Very pleased for Hungary's top 10. Think Ireland was totally robbed--but allegedly he hit a massive howler of a note during the jury's dress rehearsal.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think you can compare the French and German entries. The fact the German song was so similar to last year is what killed their chances. The French song was a good song and deserved a lot more.

After watching Cascada's performance again on Monday, it was clear why she didn't win: she was waaaay out of tune about 1/3 of the time. They built the performance around a staircase, then didn't even show her coming down it (and it looked cheap and flimsy--it should've been blinged out). Camera work was a mess too. She committed another sin too: she played to the stadium rather than the camera. You win the Eurovision by playing to the TV audience.

As well, whomever remixed the song for Eurovision undermined what was a great construction originally: verse, chorus, VERSE, CHORUS, OMG HUGE CHORUS. That abbreviated first verse disrupted the whole thing--rather like how Blue's ESC mix of "I Can" (with the 2 second silent pause) did.

Love "Glorious" and hoped it would win, but she blew it.

That was, in many respects, a well-produced show. Two major cock-ups, however: the voting (one 12 points appearing on screen before it was announced and announcing the winner with 4 countries left to vote) and the massive over-run, which could have been avoided with the opening reduced by 4 minutes and the interval reduced by 10. I LOVED how Sweden drew a cultural line in the sand: this is what European values mean and if you don't like it, go play somewhere else. And oh yeah, a very queer show too. ;)

The winner? Meh. And it looks like very much a compromise winner, since the juries and televoters seem not to have agreed on their favourite so far. I've done some mathematical sleuthing for ESCInsight to try and ascertain the Italian jury ranks. More info here.

Very pleased for Hungary's top 10. Think Ireland was totally robbed--but allegedly he hit a massive howler of a note during the jury's dress rehearsal.

I had the luck to have in all three shows a very good view onto the main stage - the pity was that I had my good camera with me at the grand final only. I will attach some pics of the grand final...

I was very pleased with Hungary's Top 10, too and I agree Ireland was totally underrated (It was one of my favourite songs and I think it will be longer played at Euro Club than the winner...

I have already read your article on ESCinsight with interest - the ESCinsight core team stayed in my hotel and I eavesdrop one of the recordings of their podcasts and we talked afterwards about it.

in front of the arena - the fans are in "ESC-mood"

P1070170_zpsc540f770.jpg

Moldova

P1070215_zpscd83546e.jpg

Finland - I loved that song (this will be played in Euro Club for a long time)

P1070226_zps4611c695.jpg

Malta

P1070252_zps4505d90f.jpg

Germany

P1070267_zpsa1e4f7af.jpg

Hungary

P1070345_zps92834354.jpg

Denmark

P1070351_zps957b7627.jpg

Iceland

P1070367_zpsd0b5375f.jpg

Azerbaijan

P1070383_zps07aa3598.jpg

Greece

P1070385_zps7a7f8879.jpg

Norway

P1070430_zps7fdac4d6.jpg

Ireland

P1070454_zps6dbf163a.jpg

Danish victory

P1070520_zpsb72cd004.jpg

After watching Cascada's performance again on Monday, it was clear why she didn't win: she was waaaay out of tune about 1/3 of the time. They built the performance around a staircase, then didn't even show her coming down it (and it looked cheap and flimsy--it should've been blinged out). Camera work was a mess too. She committed another sin too: she played to the stadium rather than the camera. You win the Eurovision by playing to the TV audience.

As well, whomever remixed the song for Eurovision undermined what was a great construction originally: verse, chorus, VERSE, CHORUS, OMG HUGE CHORUS. That abbreviated first verse disrupted the whole thing--rather like how Blue's ESC mix of "I Can" (with the 2 second silent pause) did.

Love "Glorious" and hoped it would win, but she blew it.

I totally agree - I had more the impression that Natalie was more interested to give the gay audience a good show and to have fun than to win. Furthermore I think her performance in the Euro Village (that was a public area in Malmö's city centre) was much better than during the grand final (voice-wise)...

I have no doubt that the song will be played in the Euro Club in future...

Splits are out!

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=split_results_of_eurovision_2013_revealed&source=twitter&medium=social&campaign=Twitter

971231_10152858252380790_605992508_n.jpg

296150_10152858358575790_1774992984_n.jp

You may have noticed that Spain came last in the final with both jury and televote and yet still beat Ireland in the overall rankings. This was due to the fact that the Spanish entry did particularly well in some countries, as high as 4th in one case. Whereas, Ireland - although doing better in the overall rankings - didn't manage to convert their position into points by scoring highly enough in individual countries Top 10.

One of the biggest misunderstandings I have noticed being made is that the average jury/televote ranks directly equates to points - it doesn't. It gives the assumption that the national juries/televoters will vote in roughly the same order, of course this is ridiculous. It doesn't account for the many peaks and troughs in popularity ranks over individual countries.

These are not the real splits--it's an attempt by the EBU to avoid releasing the real, per-country splits. Because when they do it'll reveal that Denmark was a consensus winner and that there was a serious disagreement between juries and televoters in several countries.

Which is fine--that's what the system is supposed to do, balance between populism and music quality--so I don't understand their reticence. If I were in Germany (where I believe Digame, who managed the televote, is based) I would submit a request for public information to see if I could get all these data released under EU law. :)

I don't think we've ever had the full country splits released by the EBU? We normally get the individual countries declaring them individually. I have seen Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Denmark so far. Unfortunately even the individual countries never release actual figures due to the EBU being worried about it being used for vote rigging. I have put in a freedom of information request in the UK to get the full votes of the UK jury and televote. I am pretty sure that Norway was screwed over by an ageing Jury.

Thank god we are getting rid of SVT !

The made draw and the fact they killed almost all the songs in national languages, the technical difficulties, the way they got the best show and draw possible for Norway & Denmark...

Worst host ever and i have been following since 1998

Archived