Doha 2024

I agreed its be a kick in the guts to not be shortlisted 3 times Istanbul made it past shortlist sometimes other times not. I definitely think they won't win but if 2024 has a huge bidding (if Istanbul wins) possibly Tokyo Madrid Doha Baku africa Paris USA maybe Rome who would they cut Doha had been higher then 1 City each race but been cut twice. If they can come up with a good justifying of the heat issue we never know they could make shortlist

Please God NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

THE BASTARDS DON'T FREAKIN DESERVE AN OLYMPICS!

No Olympic tradition, no regard for women, bugger all population, an attitude that deep pockets will buy them anything they want. Nouveauriche peasants - who'll go back to being peasants once the black gold runs out.

No Olympic tradition, no regard for women, bugger all population, an attitude that deep pockets will buy them anything they want. Nouveauriche peasants - who'll go back to being peasants once the black gold runs out.

hahahha nice, they will probably bid though

Third post I couldn't like by you because of my quota being reached -.-

2024 setting up to be the bid race of the ages.

This will be a really stupid bid considering Durban and Paris + 2/3 of the 2020 losers will bid. Not to mention other bids like an American one.

Just like Durban and a batch of European contenders were going to bid for 2020? We have no idea who will bid in 2024. To say that a city like Doha should sit that one out because of the potential of competition would be really stupid. Look at 2020.. this is a much weaker field than anyone was anticipating (not that it helped them at all). Who's to say history won't repeat itself in 2024? I don't expect that to be the case, but who knows.

Just like Durban and a batch of European contenders were going to bid for 2020? We have no idea who will bid in 2024. To say that a city like Doha should sit that one out because of the potential of competition would be really stupid. Look at 2020.. this is a much weaker field than anyone was anticipating (not that it helped them at all). Who's to say history won't repeat itself in 2024? I don't expect that to be the case, but who knows.

I half agree. I see no reason to expect a lot of high quality bids for 2024. Durban, Paris, the US, the two 2020 losers are all questionable. We could easily see a two or three city shortlist for 2024. There's no reason to expect a monster battle at this point.

I don't think Doha should bid for 2024, but it has nothing to do with the potential competition. They need to prove themselves with the World Cup before bidding again. They need to develop their own sporting culture and win medals with homegrown athletes. They need to develop and educate a spectator base for international sport. Most of all, they need to talk directly to the networks and IF's to figure out a scheduling solution. Until that happens, they should not bid. I'm seeing 2032 at the earliest for Doha and probably not even then.

I don't think Doha should bid for 2024, but it has nothing to do with the potential competition. They need to prove themselves with the World Cup before bidding again. They need to develop their own sporting culture and win medals with homegrown athletes. They need to develop and educate a spectator base for international sport. Most of all, they need to talk directly to the networks and IF's to figure out a scheduling solution. Until that happens, they should not bid. I'm seeing 2032 at the earliest for Doha and probably not even then.

This part I agree with. I think Doha was foolish to push for 2020. They'd be equally foolish to push for 2024 given that most of the lead-up will overlap with the World Cup. But yes, they need to prove they have something more to offer than money. It still surprises me that was enough for FIFA (and from a money standpoint, I think they had a lot more to gain from giving soccer a boost in the United States as opposed to Qatar). It would surprise me even more if that's enough for the IOC.

I agree 2028 maybe if the 2022 world cup goes really well probably not 2020 or 24 cause world cup you guys have convinced me on that, i still think they will try and bid though

• 3 months later...

Doha can continue to fund bids and if Istanbul doesn't win then the Middle East/Islamic World will still be a new frontier.

In Doha's favour are:

1) Money

2) Infrastructure including a new international airport

3) a more liberal attitude to women by comparative Middle Eastern terms - women can hold positions in government, can drive, are allowed to go out without a male companion, have no formal restrictions on what they can wear etc ... hosting a games would encourage this further.

4) Guaranteed religious tolerance as long as it is conducted privately

Of course there are issues around LGBT rights but unfortunately that is an occurence across many cultures

In terms of sport, Doha will be the centre for Qatar 2022 but also has held

1997 and onwards The Qatar Athletic Super Grand Prix (Diamond League)

2001 first Middle East country to host a WTA tournament

2005 West Asian Games

2006 Asian Games

2011 Asian Indoor Games

2014 FINA World Swimming Championships

as a Middle Eastern country which is becoming more liberal in its attitude to human rights, awarding Doha the Olympics will speed this process not bring it jarringly to a hault in my opinion

I stop short at ruling out Doha completely, due to two things:

-Their shocking and undeserved awarding of the 2022 World Cup. Although admittedly, the IOC are not foolish numbskulls like FIFA nowadays.

-People treated Atlanta the same way with their 1996 bid. Doha 2024 is a long stretch, but I would not totally rule them out. Crazy stuff has happened before. Anything is possible...

I must admit, I take dark pleasure at their rejection. Let them bid!

• 2 months later...

Qatar will return to bid for the Olympics says QOC general secretary

November 14 - Qatar Olympic Committee (QOC) general secretary Sheikh Saoud Bin Abdulrahman Al Thani has promised that the country will return to bid for the Olympics and Paralympics, most likely in 2024, because their ultimate goal is to host the Games.

Full article:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/1011674-exclusive-qatar-will-return-to-bid-for-the-olympics-says-qoc-general-secretary

Qatar will return to bid for the Olympics says QOC general secretary

November 14 - Qatar Olympic Committee (QOC) general secretary Sheikh Saoud Bin Abdulrahman Al Thani has promised that the country will return to bid for the Olympics and Paralympics, most likely in 2024, because their ultimate goal is to host the Games.

Full article:

http://www.insidethe...neral-secretary

Let them continue to bid and lose.

Archived