1. 1. Who do you THINK will win...

• Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Tokyo
  2. 2. Who do you WANT to win...

• Istanbul
    • Madrid
    • Tokyo

However after Rio - Istanbul,perhaps the IOC would want to go back to a more reliable host from a proven host country.

Uhmmmm, right after the IOC Session in Durban last Sept., wasn't Jacques Rogge all gungho about Durban moving forward with a 2020 bid? NAH. After Rio, maybe Istanbul, there's no such thing as "...going back to a safe country" thing. It's "who's next on the cross-off list?" They've got those 5-6-7 rings to fulfill. The sooner the better.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm, just a thought - how many north African, muslim IOC members are there? Would they support Istanbul and the first Games in a Muslim country or hold it off to favor the chances of an African Games in 2024 with South Africa?

This has been discussed before, in the sense of what would truly be an "African" Games.

That North African group would most likely support a Muslim bid, even if it is outside Africa, before they'd support a South African one. Since they would have much more of a connection, politically, culturally & religiously with a Muslim candidate than they would with a Sub-Saharan one.

I bet had South Africa been in this 2020 race, too, those North African votes would still have gone to Istanbul, regardless.

Now that the IOC and USOC have a revenue-sharing agreement, it would be interesting in what the USOC wants to do now. Bid for 2022 or 2024?

However, both ideas clash with one issue that has been making the US news a lot recently: the domestic economy.

Atlanta 1996, while trying to emulate Los Angeles 1984, did not go as planned. In fact, has anyone in the world recall anything international (in the sporting sense), since those Olympic Games for that city? I haven't. Unfortunately, it has become associated with that bombing by that extremist who thought "the second coming of Jesus was coming to smite homosexuals and pro-abortion activists."

Well, Salt Lake 2002 was the latest Olympic Games on US soil. Overall, it went well, but it had some major slip-ups along the way, both before and during the Games.

Now, come 2015 or 2017, does the US even has the money to launch a bid for a Games, never mind hosting another one? It got spurned by the IOC for 2012 and 2016 for various reasons. I guess we will have to wait for the news to come, if there is going to be any.

Getting back on track here, it will be interesting on how the 2020 race plays out. I still think Istanbul has what it takes to win the bid. However, the thought of Madrid being in the list was not surprising, but it is kind of shaky to me. As for Tokyo, I am keeping the cards to my chest for now.

Has Athens had anything international or Beijing I know London will have that 2017 thing but alot of cities havnt hosted or they hosted things I havnt heard of.

Has Athens had anything international or Beijing I know London will have that 2017 thing but alot of cities havnt hosted or they hosted things I havnt heard of.

Athens hosted the IAAF World Championships during their bid campaign. Anyway, it's Greece. If any country has an emotional advantage for the games, it's Athens - the games went "home".

Beijing I can't figure anything off the top of my head, but I'm sure they've had their share. Anyway, it's China - you can't ignore or shun a third of the world's population.

If Tokyo loses, they won't be back. Neither will Madrid. Istanbul is like a fat kid going after cake, it ain't gonna stop till it gets some chocolately goodness.

Many have said the IOC does not look at the future, but focuses on the present and makes choices based on what is in front of it. At this moment in the Olympic Movement, you have probably one of the clearest foresights then at any time in history. South Africa, Canada, the United States, China, France and Germany all want the Olympics and this race will determine that order and who gets left out. More than any time before I think members will vote based on the decadal out-come they would like to see. The Chinese could very well support the Japanese, get them out of the way so when Shanghai starts after it in the '30s there will only be the Indians to deal with. North Americans wouldn't be harmed fatally by any of the bids, but Istanbul would sure make it easier. The IOC has a clear chance to shape the next 5 games from 1 vote. There hasn't been a vote that will have this big of a cascade effect since 1990. They would be foolish to take not take what is to come into this.

What do you think the next 5 cycles will be then?

If Tokyo loses, they won't be back. Neither will Madrid. Istanbul is like a fat kid going after cake, it ain't gonna stop till it gets some chocolately goodness.

Many have said the IOC does not look at the future, but focuses on the present and makes choices based on what is in front of it. At this moment in the Olympic Movement, you have probably one of the clearest foresights then at any time in history. South Africa, Canada, the United States, China, France and Germany all want the Olympics and this race will determine that order and who gets left out. More than any time before I think members will vote based on the decadal out-come they would like to see. The Chinese could very well support the Japanese, get them out of the way so when Shanghai starts after it in the '30s there will only be the Indians to deal with. North Americans wouldn't be harmed fatally by any of the bids, but Istanbul would sure make it easier. The IOC has a clear chance to shape the next 5 games from 1 vote. There hasn't been a vote that will have this big of a cascade effect since 1990. They would be foolish to take not take what is to come into this.

My question was referring to this quote.

Uhmmmm, right after the IOC Session in Durban last Sept., wasn't Jacques Rogge all gungho about Durban moving forward with a 2020 bid? NAH. After Rio, maybe Istanbul, there's no such thing as "...going back to a safe country" thing. It's "who's next on the cross-off list?" They've got those 5-6-7 rings to fulfill. The sooner the better.

I don't know about this. Rio, Istanbul, Durban? Three new frontiers in a row? No Europe, no US, no sports powerhouse in three cycles?

It's definitely possible, but I think the IOC would think twice. Especially if Rio is a little shaky. Frankly Sochi and Pyeongchang are risky too....

I disagree, Faster. I'm sure multiple members will vote with an eye to the future, but I really think you'd be hard-pressed to extrapolate 5 Games out from this race. There are way too many variables.

Of course, I'd still be interested in seeing your thoughts.... i.e. Tokyo 2020 dictates the following 5 hosts in the following order, Istanbul dictates x, Madrid dictates Y....

i think i'd be most pleased with istanbul winning.

for some reason i see tokyo being almost too good to pass up for the IOC though. if we're lucky the pyeonchang geopolitics will do them in and istanbul will win and sate them on new frontiers for a while.

Those risk comments are just nothing! The IOC has already realized that "proven countries" haven't delivered perfect games either. Problems in Atlanta, Sydney, Vancouver and London have performed risks and problems before and during the games. What is true, for the IOC and FIFA new frontiers represent new important market revenues. If they are clever, they should give a chance to Turkey. After all, many people here talk about some organizers from Russia, Brazil, South Korea or Turkey as if they were retards!

Of course the new frontiers are not retards! Some countries have more resources and experience than others. That doesn't mean the others can't pull the necessary components together in a brilliant way.

In most of the cases cited above its a case of unusual challenges for non-traditional hosts -- not weaker hosts.

With Sochi I expect a lavish success. The Koreans will organize their Games brilliantly, but there are questions about weather and the enthusiasm and quantity of spectators.

The Summer Games are three times the size of Winter Hames and a bigger challenge. Rio and Istanbul (if they should win) represent emerging nations. That brings fresh energy and excitement, but also unknowns. That doesn't mean they aren't up to the challenge, it just means that their ability to overcome some obstacles is untested.

Rio must accomplish extensive infrastructure improvements, smooth transportation logistics for a spread out venue plan and address crime issues. That's on top of delivering all the other necessary elements.

Istanbul has the spectre of governmental instability in its recent past. So far their bid has seemed unfocused and awkward. (Still no logo? A very small point, but still....) They too must address the challenges of a spread out plan and difficult transportation. Again all this is on top of their other duties as host.

No one is accusing these hosts of incompetency. They are, however, unknown quantities.

I voted for Tokyo for the winner and for Istanbul as my wish, although there is no bad choice in this list for me.

But i'll stand by my theory that some of the IOC's members know very well that should Madrid or Istanbul win, the 2024 race wouldn't be as gorgeous and exciting as they want it to.

And i'm just convinced they want that. If Madrid or Istanbul wins, only one europeans city will bid, and only Tokyo in Asia will bid.

If Tokyo wins it's gonna be at least 3 or 4 major european cities and a Us bid! Add new frontiers like Istanbul (europe too i know i know don't give me geography lessons, i see you coming) & South Africa's bid and it will be a very exciting race with massive coverage from the media and everyone fighting like crazy for the IOC favors like in 2012.

Maybe i don't know the real values of IOC members and i'm wrong when i see a pack of wolves, but i can't really see them trading a possible Durban-Rome-Paris-Madrid-USA-Istanbul and maybe more for only a Durban-Los Angeles-Tokyo in 2024.

I think the USOC will be extremely wary of SA. Although they'd prefer Summer Games (I believe), they remember 2016 and Rio well and won't want to repeat it. Unless a fantastic bid from a top tier city materializes, I'm not convinced the US will bid for 2024. The same could be true for Europe. Therefore, I'm not sure IOC members will vote for 2020 with 2024 in mind. They may assume it will be Africa.

Really? You believe that should Tokyo wins we won't see at least two or three bids from Europe?

I would be completely atonished if, despite the crisis and everything, at least two countries from Spain, Germany, Italy, Turkey & France weren't bidding and you can already count on Baku too (which chose to call itself an european city). And that is without the possibility (even if it's very slight) to have a surprise bid from i don't know Sweden, Netherland, maybe Poland i don't know.

Of course the fact that 2022 could be in europe may change it but it wouldn't prevent european city to bid like a Madrid win.

OK, I finally voted.

I think Tokyo will win.

I think I'd like Istanbul to win at the moment.

I'm impressed. I'm still waiting on this one. Really not ready to call it.

I would most want to go to Madrid, but I think their goose is cooked. It's a toss up between the other two in terms of my personal feelings.

If Turkey showed some passion and a plan I would be rooting for them more. As it is, they're leaving me cold. I definitely think Istanbul could be a LOT of fun. But potential is just potential unless somebody actually brings it to fruition. So far I've seen no evidence that the Turks will rise to the challenge.

I expect Tokyo to be consistently competent and a bit bland from beginning to end. If Istanbul doesn't get their act together, Tokyo will win. I don't feel very excited about Tokyo Olympics right now though.

Archived