The Baku Reaction - Tears and Disappointment

Again from insidethegames:

Baku also looked stunned by the decision with bid chief executive Konul Nurullayeva left in tears.

"We sincerely congratulate Istanbul, Madrid and Tokyo that made it to the Candidate City Phase," said a statement on their Facebook page.

"We are of course extremely disappointed, but we accept the decision of the IOC Executive Board."

The report left them with no chance to stage the event as it said: "The Working Group nevertheless feels that the city's infrastructure and Games' planning and experience are not sufficiently developed at this stage to deliver successful Olympic Games in 2020.

"Concern was also expressed whether the significant amount of construction required to host the Games was consistent with the size and legacy needs of the city.

"For these reasons, the Working Group recommends to the Executive Board that Baku should not advance to the second phase of the 2020 bid process."

insidethegames

Azerbaijan have proved they can host a major event with the best of them. The stadium at Euroviosion was awesome and Baku made a fantastic host. I hope this country continues to develop they way they are currently doing. If Fifa can give such a large event to Qatar, then I dont see why another resource rich nation like Azerbaijan cant be awarded as well...I wish the best to Azerbaijan...I cant wait to visit this beautiful country one day... :)

Azerbaijan have proved they can host a major event with the best of them. The stadium at Euroviosion was awesome and Baku made a fantastic host. I hope this country continues to develop they way they are currently doing. If Fifa can give such a large event to Qatar, then I dont see why another resource rich nation like Azerbaijan cant be awarded as well...I wish the best to Azerbaijan...I cant wait to visit this beautiful country one day... :)

Eurovision is a single event. Not a two week long multi-sport international extravaganza. They are not in the same league.

• 8 months later...

Archived