Doha's Reaction

Though one would wonder how this could affect possible bids in the future (far future in some cases) of cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Jakarta, Bangkok, Cape Town, Melbourne, Buenos Aires.

Thank you! This, this is what i'm talking about, idc if doha doesn't win (yes i've done a complete 180) but what about other bids, surely NBC i mean the IOC won't be happy with a september games. Australia isn't one of those countries that you say will never get an olympics, the revenue will be less for NBC if it is in september or october. Africa is bound to get a games, Australia is too in the future (not near future) India in the distant future. So what will the NBC do there? put there 2 cents in again and threaten not doing the revenue stuff.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you! This, this is what i'm talking about, idc if doha doesn't win (yes i've done a complete 180) but what about other bids, surely NBC i mean the IOC won't be happy with a september games. Australia isn't one of those countries that you say will never get an olympics, the revenue will be less for NBC if it is in september or october. Africa is bound to get a games, Australia is too in the future (not near future) India in the distant future. So what will the NBC do there? put there 2 cents in again and threaten not doing the revenue stuff.

Yeah. This has set a dangerous precedent IMO.

I do suspect the timing issue was as perhaps more a justification than the real reason for their booting from the race, and I know others have said in various threads that they believe that the IOC would be "flexible" if the likes of Oz, South Africa and Buenos Aires - or the hotter and sultrier climes like India - were to bid, but Doha would be quite within their rights to cry foul and bias if that happened. Indeed, I'm no fan of Doha at all, but I will give them they have a bit of justification to be pissed - they had discussed the timing issue quite early on with the IOC, moved their dates forward from the previous bid, and supposedly got the IOC's blessing to proceed. And then went on, for the second time running, to be dropped like a hot potato while scoring better than some of those who made it on the list.

My fear is now the IOC has set pretty stringent timing restrictions and quite publicly used them to deny a hosting contender that if nothing else, has the technical and financial wherewithall to organise a games. But in doing so have backed themselves in a corner where the likes of Melbourne, Cape Town, BA or Delhi would find it difficult to meet the time constraints. What are the likes of them to do in future? Launch negotiations with NBC before bidding and promise to make up any ad revenue shortfall in order to get the broadcaster's reluctant blessing?

I appreciate and accept the Realpolitik that NBC's money gives them clout. But, hmmmm, this whole explicit timing restrictions issue is not sitting right with me.

It specifically said on the report had a section about the climate problem, says about july/august only, september would be dangerous too, sydney was september guess since then the NBC has had a few words to the IOC and mustn't have made as much money from those games. I know everyone thinks Doha has been sooking, but heck i'd sook if Melbourne or Africa propose september/october games and made it through.

I know everyone thinks Doha has been sooking, but heck i'd sook if Melbourne or Africa propose september/october games and made it through.

To tell you the truth, I don't think they have been sooky since the short list announcement. They've been diplomatic and gracious, I haven't seen any reports of them being spiteful or bitter. The joy in their dumping by many, including myself, has probably been more unsporting than their (public) reaction has been.

On the other hand, I suppose many people here are just incredulous that anybody could be surprised or disappointed Doha won't host 2020.

Back to the schedule issue. If the timing was the sole real reason they didn't make it, then I think, as I said, the IOC has been backed into an unfortunate limitation on possible hosts from now. If it was more of a pretext, then the IOC should have been more upfront about it. Or maybe they actually have been more frank behind closed doors with Qatar - I have my doubts, though.

Far from being a black and white issue, there are always exceptions made on compelling grounds. India and Africa are compelling grounds, and NBC might even feel it can make MORE money by broadcasting an Indian or African games, even if held in September or October.

I do see though why Doha might feel shortchanged if one day Delhi makes the shortlist after proposing an October games. I agree with the end result here, but not the means to achieve it. The IOC should've just come out and flatly said that Qatar is too small, insignificant and undeserving to host.

Far from being a black and white issue, there are always exceptions made on compelling grounds. India and Africa are compelling grounds, and NBC might even feel it can make MORE money by broadcasting an Indian or African games, even if held in September or October.

I do see though why Doha might feel shortchanged if one day Delhi makes the shortlist after proposing an October games. I agree with the end result here, but not the means to achieve it. The IOC should've just come out and flatly said that Qatar is too small, insignificant and undeserving to host.

I really would not support an Indian olympics. Appauling conditions, hundreds of millions in poverty, many people are below the poverty line, The heat would be a tiny issue compared to others. Doha seems exceptional compared to India, heat, money, poor infrastructure, no offense but the designs off the city aren't that great, it smells, the slums, people begging for money. Unless they build a new city and only move in the rich people i think they would score really low. Plus the failure of 2010 comm games would definitely impact

This graph is interesting, 41- 60% of indians live on less then $1.25 a day i know its 2009 but still wow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Percentage_population_living_on_less_than_$1.25_per_day_2009.svg

Heta in july august is only 33 degrees anyway

i know that sounds really ignorant and mean but it is kind of true...

Hopefully they can fix the country in the next 100 years and lower the population boom there

But even India makes more of a compelling case than Qatar ever would. N they also have 10x's as many more Olympic medals than the Qatari's do. Maybe India's potential conditions aren't ripe now, but in the next 20-30 years, who knows. I'm sure many would've said the same of China & Brazil back in the 1980's.

Yeah, the IOC agreed that they would look at Doha's dates more closely this time around, but that doesn't mean they'd automatically accept those dates. In a perfect world, it would've been better that the IOC cite the TRUE reasons, & I agree that they should've been more straight-forward to the Qatari's about it. The catch-22 here though is, that the preliminary phase is suppose to be a "technical" evaluation to determine the capabilities of the bidding cities. So what else can the IOC say in this case then.

Had they told Doha the truth, then the Qatari's really would be crying fou right nowl. So the IOC could only do the most diplomatic thing & hang-on to a technical issue that they can easily wash their hands with. N if it opens up a pandora's box later on with other more compelling & deserving candidates, the IOC will deal with it then. It's not like the IOC really has to concern themselves with places like Melbourne & Buenos Aires at this point in time. N if South Africa bids with Durban, it's been already noted that their weather conditions R still ideal in the July/August timeframe. But for now, the IOC ExCo thought to themselves that they couldn't risk having Doha on the 2020 ballot with all the other non-technical issues that R really involved.

I haven't read an IOC statement that put all the blame on Doha's scheduling. The scheduling may be tricky for broadcasters, but Doha had many additional weaknesses that were highlighted in the working group's report.

The fact is Doha was eliminated for many reasons. I don't think the IOC has painted themselves into a corner the way some of you do. As near as I am aware, the decision was was not tied explicitly or primarily to the scheduling.

I haven't read an IOC statement that put all the blame on Doha's scheduling. The scheduling may be tricky for broadcasters, but Doha had many additional weaknesses that were highlighted in the working group's report.

The fact is Doha was eliminated for many reasons. I don't think the IOC has painted themselves into a corner the way some of you do. As near as I am aware, the decision was was not tied explicitly or primarily to the scheduling.

Maybe have another read through http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Host_city_elections/Final-report-2020-Working-Group-English.pdf

They had high scores in most areas, higher then Istanbul did may i add.

And at the bottom of doha's evaluations they even included this

Additional information provided by Doha in relation to the

proposed dates of the Olympic Games

As mentioned earlier in the report, the IOC Executive Board asked Doha to present full assurances that the

October dates proposed by the Applicant City would not “impact negatively on broadcast coverage or the

spectator experience”. The Working Group sought the advice of Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) and the

IOC’s International Television and Marketing Services (ITMS) who have reviewed the additional information

provided by Doha. Their feedback is reflected below.

Olympic Games held in the IOC’s preferred period of July / August provide broadcasters with a “guarantee”

that they will be prime-time market leaders with Olympic broadcast. In October, broadcasters would face

lower viewership/ratings levels on a global level when having to compete with other major sports events or

general entertainment / TV programming priorities for the autumn season. Significantly less Olympic

broadcast would also result in lower exposure and impact commercial opportunities. A reduced level of

Games exposure would particularly affect some sports and disciplines.

In July/August, people have more leisure/vacation time. There is therefore a risk that an October Games

would become a “weekend Olympic Games” and, with a reduced demographic reach, broadcasters would have

difficulties in attracting the same audience levels in terms of working people and youth.

The proposed scheduling of events presents some challenges with respect to sports to be held in outdoor

venues (16 out of 28 sports). Early morning events would result in:

• A less balanced schedule of events with less events available to prime time broadcast;

• Less spectators and therefore a less TV friendly product;

• Rights Holding Broadcaster personnel having to work longer days with the potential of having to send

more staff on site and thus higher production costs;

• Additional programming issues for the top broadcasting markets due to the time difference

seems like it factored in alot of there decision

But even India makes more of a compelling case than Qatar ever would. N they also have 10x's as many more Olympic medals than the Qatari's do. Maybe India's potential conditions aren't ripe now, but in the next 20-30 years, who knows. I'm sure many would've said the same of China & Brazil back in the 1980's.

Yeah, the IOC agreed that they would look at Doha's dates more closely this time around, but that doesn't mean they'd automatically accept those dates. In a perfect world, it would've been better that the IOC cite the TRUE reasons, & I agree that they should've been more straight-forward to the Qatari's about it. The catch-22 here though is, that the preliminary phase is suppose to be a "technical" evaluation to determine the capabilities of the bidding cities. So what else can the IOC say in this case then.

Had they told Doha the truth, then the Qatari's really would be crying fou right nowl. So the IOC could only do the most diplomatic thing & hang-on to a technical issue that they can easily wash their hands with. N if it opens up a pandora's box later on with other more compelling & deserving candidates, the IOC will deal with it then. It's not like the IOC really has to concern themselves with places like Melbourne & Buenos Aires at this point in time. N if South Africa bids with Durban, it's been already noted that their weather conditions R still ideal in the July/August timeframe. But for now, the IOC ExCo thought to themselves that they couldn't risk having Doha on the 2020 ballot with all the other non-technical issues that R really involved.

I agree India would be more interesting, say in 150 years. Really don't think India would be ready in 30 years, the 2010 games was a setback yeah they have there advantages but everyone does but they also have disadvantages and a lot of those. I never thought Doha would win however even in the report they were unsure whether to keep or not keep doha, Baku was a do not keep however they were less sure on Doha. All i'm saying is the IOC should've had some balls and said there are other issues with your bid like the fact you suck at sports and have basically no medals.

Darcy, I've read that document. Have you?

There is a section devoted to the dates. While acknowledging the challenges with Autumn Games, it does not reject Doha on that basis. If you read the final page in Doha's analysis, the committee lists many concerns with Doha's plan. These concerns do not focus on the scheduling at all.

The reality is that Doha offers an unusual bid that looks good in some ways on paper, but also has a unique set of deficiencies and potential pitfalls that do not neatly fit into the current framework for evaluation. The group acknowledges that analyzing Doha proved difficult.

Scheduling, however, was NOT highlighted as their primary concern. Therefore the IOC can still award Games to hotter climates and southern hemisphere hosts who propose later dates without Doha crying foul. I don't see this decision as setting a precedent.

Darcy, I've read that document. Have you?

There is a section devoted to the dates. While acknowledging the challenges with Autumn Games, it does not reject Doha on that basis. If you read the final page in Doha's analysis, the committee lists many concerns with Doha's plan. These concerns do not focus on the scheduling at all.

The reality is that Doha offers an unusual bid that looks good in some ways on paper, but also has a unique set of deficiencies and potential pitfalls that do not neatly fit into the current framework for evaluation. The group acknowledges that analyzing Doha proved difficult.

Scheduling, however, was NOT highlighted as their primary concern. Therefore the IOC can still award Games to hotter climates and southern hemisphere hosts who propose later dates without Doha crying foul. I don't see this decision as setting a precedent.

sure have, am aware that it mentions it in all however in all other cities it doesnt include additional information, there is no way of denying it. Of course it was a huge factor yes there was others but the timing and heat was the biggie.

Clearly the bid looks fantastic on paper otherwise would've rated lower right? I am new to this and maybe there is some difference between the ratings and what the IOC mean.

What is the main concern please do tell me, the low medals? the small population? yeah they're problems however i do think the scheduling is the big one

sure have, am aware that it mentions it in all however in all other cities it doesnt include additional information, there is no way of denying it. Of course it was a huge factor yes there was others but the timing and heat was the biggie.

Clearly the bid looks fantastic on paper otherwise would've rated lower right? I am new to this and maybe there is some difference between the ratings and what the IOC mean.

What is the main concern please do tell me, the low medals? the small population? yeah they're problems however i do think the scheduling is the big one

I agree with you that the scheduling contributed to the decision. I'm just saying that the IOC has also given other reasons for excluding Doha. Therefore the door is still open (from a PR standpoint) to bids that propose later schedules. I don't think Doha can successfully claim discrimination the next time the IOC accepts September dates onto the shortlist. I do think October is hopeless. These are Summer Games.

I agree with you that the scheduling contributed to the decision. I'm just saying that the IOC has also given other reasons for excluding Doha. Therefore the door is still open (from a PR standpoint) to bids that propose later schedules. I don't think Doha can successfully claim discrimination the next time the IOC accepts September dates onto the shortlist. I do think October is hopeless. These are Summer Games.

Ok cool sorry getting tired of arguing I'm sure everyone else is too.

But Sydney was in our spring USA's autumn or whatever they call it.

Hope a bid in September will be allowed in th future. Dubai Doha Africa Australia etc

Sorry all for annoying you so much

Ok cool sorry getting tired of arguing I'm sure everyone else is too.

But Sydney was in our spring USA's autumn or whatever they call it.

Hope a bid in September will be allowed in th future. Dubai Doha Africa Australia etc

Sorry all for annoying you so much

Not annoyed. Just explaining I don't see the later times lot as totally hopeless.

Here's the thing...two Olympic horses and a Danish cyclist died in the Roman heat of 1960. If that's NOT a clue to how hot it can be in the IOC's preferred cities, what MORE in the sunstroke capitals of the world -- the Middle East and the Gulf shiek/shakedoms? Now, aren't they glad that Rome also bowed out again?

Personally I'm glad Doha got booted!

After what happened at the Velargio Mall last week - just proves that these Oil Rich mini countries are just a mirage in the desert. All great having flash structures...But no good infrastructure to support it. Better Doha gets it right for Fifa 2022 before coming back to the alpha event in sport.

Well yeah, u may want it but I think 85% of the IOC'ers don't. So it ain't gonna happen in this lifetime.

I think it will happen in this lifetime, but not until the 40s or 50s. I guess it depends on whose lifetime we're talking about.....

Archived