Doha's Reaction

From the same story on insidethegames talking about NBC's influence on the decision:

Publically, at least, Doha accepted the decision.

"We respect the decision," said Sheikha Al-Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, the daughter of Qatar's Emir and a vice-president of Doha 2020.

"We provided the dates that we thought were most suitable.

"We believe we did everything in our capacity."

But she also hinted at the fury bubbling away under the surface.

"I think the two cuontries that were eliminated are emerging markets and I think it is a missed opportunity for the IOC,"

insidethegames

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said it before and i'll say it again. This was payback for stealing the 2022 WC. When I heard back then about how worried the IOC was after all the evidences shown about that polemic election of December 2010, I knew Doha was dead even before they started.

Besides, hosting the olympics in October would had caused a lot of problems with many broadcasting companies arround the world.

I laughed at this quote by the Sheik:

Sheikh Saoud bin Abdulrahman al Thani, General Secretary of the Qatar Olympic Committee took the news well, he said “we will continue and we will not give up; sport is in our DNA*.”

* at least those Qataris with XY chromosomes, or come from East Africa, I think he meant!

I laughed at this quote by the Sheik:

Sheikh Saoud bin Abdulrahman al Thani, General Secretary of the Qatar Olympic Committee took the news well, he said “we will continue and we will not give up; sport is in our DNA*.”

* at least those Qataris with XY chromosomes, or come from East Africa, I think he meant!

I have to agree there, when I read the article. They are going to have to win a few more medals with home grown athletes before they can say that! I kinda want Istanbul to win 2020 if only just to deny the Qataris a shot at 2024.

Both Doha and Baku would be foolish to bid again until they are in stronger positions.

Qatar needs to demonstrate their cutting-edge climate control with the World Cup. They need to prove they can pack stadiums and that the venues will have a legacy. They need to engage in some pillow talk with NBC and find out if there is a workable time frame. They need to dramatically increase their sporting reputation.

Until they address all those points, future bidding will be pointless.

Baku needs to radically improve their infrastructure. They also need to build a resume hosting international multi-sport events. In my opinion they really should go for a YOG. Until they make dramatic progress in these areas, there is no Point in mounting another bid.

I really don't think either city should contemplate 2024 or 2028. By the 30's perhaps they will be better prepared....

http://sports.yahoo....15622--oly.html

We'll hear from Qatar again in 2024. Other excerpts from this article:

The IOC granted Doha a rare exception to possibly host the Games in October and November, when the weather is cooler.

But broadcasters expressed concerns that a shift in the dates could mean a smaller television audience, according to the report, although there were fewer objections when Sydney moved its Games to September for similar reasons.

Other issues may also hinder any future bid. By some accounts, the furor over bribery accusations after Qatar was awarded the 2022 World Cup made IOC members reluctant to suffer the same bad press as football's world governing body. "Offering the Games to Qatar would expose the IOC to the same risks as FIFA," commented one IOC member after a meeting in Quebec City, citing the high-profile allegations of graft in the bidding process, which Qatar has strongly denied.

Another problem is size. IOC president Jacques Rogge told AFP in 2008 that "a city of less than two million people cannot ever hope to host the Games." Qatar has a population of only 1.7 million, albeit concentrated in its capital.

The thing of it is though, how is Doha going to overcome this same issue: The weather & schedule.

Them trying for 2024 isn't going to make their hurdles disappear. The IOC will still say the harsh Qatar climate is still a concern, even in October. Not to mention the broadcasters concerns for a Summer Olympics that late in the year.

And If Istanbul wins 2020, Doha (& the whole Arabian Peninsula, for that matter) can kiss 2024 goodbye. The IOC most likely doesn't even want to look at them until at least they see how Qatar 2022 turns out, So that means, 2032 at the earliest. And even then, who knows.

The thing of it is though, how is Doha going to overcome this same issue: The weather & schedule.

Them trying for 2024 isn't going to make their hurdles disappear. The IOC will still say the harsh Qatar climate is still a concern, even in October. Not to mention the broadcasters concerns for a Summer Olympics that late in the year.

And If Istanbul wins 2020, Doha (& the whole Arabian Peninsula, for that matter) can kiss 2024 goodbye. The IOC most likely doesn't even want to look at them until at least they see how Qatar 2022 turns out, So that means, 2032 at the earliest. And even then, who knows.

Exactly.

Move to september? Idk, all of middle east seems screwed for the heat issue, Dubai is in the same boat

Kind of hard for beach volleyball, rowing, sailing, triathlon,

i think they can build temporary indoor stadium,fill it with sands and held the beach volleyball inside it (i think quite like water polo)

i think they can build temporary indoor stadium,fill it with sands and held the beach volleyball inside it (i think quite like water polo)

EXcept it's kinda stupid. It's called 'Beach" volleyball so there must at least be the simulation of a true "outdoor" setting. SO even if it's really by the beach, the sand footing is acceptable but it must BE OUTDOORS. No faking this one. Of course, they can hold these things at like 2:00am when it might be cooler; but will people and players come out to play and attend? Nah!! Those Gulf shake-doms must understand their oil-money can only buy so much.

Sweden, a winter power, can't get the Winter Games because they only have one suitable ski resort that is somewhat remote.

Finland, another winter power, can't get them because they do not have mountains.

All of the Southern Hemisphere falls out of the Winter Games schedule.

Hungary, one of the Top 10 all-time Olympic medal winners, will have difficulty hosting the Summer Games because they are land-locked and only have lakes for sailing.

Jamaica, a key track performer, does not have the population base to host the Summer Games.

India, the world's second largest population, would have a hard sell given their scant Olympic medal performance.

Sometimes your physical and sporting legacy just don't add up to Olympic hosting status, even if you have more money than God.

So I fail to understand the outcry for Doha getting cut...a city of less a million, within a country of less than 2 million (and most of that migrants), which has only ever won 2 bronze medals. This isn't the injustice of the year.

Sweden, a winter power, can't get the Winter Games because they only have one suitable ski resort that is somewhat remote.

Finland, another winter power, can't get them because they do not have mountains.

All of the Southern Hemisphere falls out of the Winter Games schedule.

Hungary, one of the Top 10 all-time Olympic medal winners, will have difficulty hosting the Summer Games because they are land-locked and only have lakes for sailing.

Jamaica, a key track performer, does not have the population base to host the Summer Games.

India, the world's second largest population, would have a hard sell given their scant Olympic medal performance.

Sometimes your physical and sporting legacy just don't add up to Olympic hosting status, even if you have more money than God.

So I fail to understand the outcry for Doha getting cut...a city of less a million, within a country of less than 2 million (and most of that migrants), which has only ever won 2 bronze medals. This isn't the injustice of the year.

Amen! Amen! Amen! Perfectly phrased.

I also don't think Doha CAN come back for a 2024 bid (or beyond). This is the second time the IOC rejected them based almost purely on the heat and proposed dates, and remember, Doha had obtained special permission in the first place when they placed their 2020 application. The IOC showed flexibility in being willing to at least consider dates outside of the July-September window. Now, it is pretty clear, that will always keep hot hot hot cities (and I don't mean tourist hot like Istanbul or design hot like Berlin) out of the race.

EXcept it's kinda stupid. It's called 'Beach" volleyball so there must at least be the simulation of a true "outdoor" setting. SO even if it's really by the beach, the sand footing is acceptable but it must BE OUTDOORS. No faking this one. Of course, they can hold these things at like 2:00am when it might be cooler; but will people and players come out to play and attend? Nah!! Those Gulf shake-doms must understand their oil-money can only buy so much.

if they want to do it outdoor they can do it at MIDNIGHT

if they want to do it outdoor they can do it at MIDNIGHT

a mistake i take that back here's the real reply

nonsense i think middle are too hot not even a good place for sunbathing and nowadays i disagree with beach volleyball because they started to play it outside the beach so we should call it sand volleyball instead here's what i think play it in the beach inside some kind of circus tent and no more TOO HOT!!!

Qatar should just deal with the fact that some countries aren't made to host the summer olympics (just like many more countries aren't fitted to make winter games)

Also, like Shrek mentioned, not all sports can be played indoors (and It would feel a bit seclusive to hold them all on enclosed spaces, at least for my personal taste)

Archived