NBC Killed Doha's Bid

If this is true, it's not gonna be a bit of a stink!

American TV executives sink Doha 2020 Olympic bid

Doha's bid to host the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics was ended after executives from American televison objected to the dates proposed.

NBC, who have the contract to cover the Games in the United States, claimed that if it was moved from its traditional July/August date to October as the Qatari capital planned then it would "become a weekend Olympics".

It was enough to scupper Doha's bid.

The IOC's working group report laid out the problem, warning that that would lead to "reduced demongraphic reach, broadcasters would have difficulties in attracting the same audience levels in terms of working people and youth", meaning it would hit NBC's advertising revenue.

The IOC report said: "In October, broadcasterss would face lower viewership/rating levels on a global level when having to compete with other major sports events or general entertainment/TV programming priorities for the autumn season.

"Significantly less Olympic broadcast would also result in lower exposure and impact commercial opportunities."

More: insidethegames

If the story is true, they have a right to object. They spent billions on Summer Games -- not autumn ones. Dates might have even been in their contract. As it is, they signed on with no idea where the Games would be held. Truthfully, I think the IF's would've been pretty unhappy with the Doha timeframe too.

I agree with the sentiment, it's logical, but it isn't gonna sit too well with those who don't like NBC having too much influence on scheduling and decisions. And is this the first time NBC has directly and publicly intervened to kybosh a bid in a host race?

Maybe this should be in a thread of its own, but it sets the cut-off precedent now, and it's bad news for the likes of Melbourne - I really think it would be too cold for them to hold a summer games in the July-September time frame. And totally kills off all those southern winter games fantasies.

Also, NBC doesn't really want to tick off the NFL by having regular season games bumped for the Olympics.

The Olympics would be bumped by the NFL, not vice-versa.

After the Sydney Games, Dick Ebersol told the IOC that American TV would never support another Games in the autumn. Obviously, NBC put itself in a vulnerable position by securing the rights before the 2020 location is announced, but they can still exert significant pressure on the IOC over the dates of the Games. I'm glad they did in this case.

quote from IOC report pag 73

www.olympic.org/Documents/Host_city_elections/Final-report-2020-Working-Group-English.pdf

Olympic Games held in the IOC’s preferred period of July / August provide broadcasters with a “guarantee”

that they will be prime-time market leaders with Olympic broadcast. In October, broadcasters would face

lower viewership/ratings levels on a global level when having to compete with other major sports events or

general entertainment / TV programming priorities for the autumn season. Significantly less Olympic

broadcast would also result in lower exposure and impact commercial opportunities. A reduced level of

Games exposure would particularly affect some sports and disciplines.

In July/August, people have more leisure/vacation time. There is therefore a risk that an October Games

would become a “weekend Olympic Games” and, with a reduced demographic reach, broadcasters would have

difficulties in attracting the same audience levels in terms of working people and youth

The proposed scheduling of events presents some challenges with respect to sports to be held in outdoor

venues (16 out of 28 sports). Early morning events would result in:

· A less balanced schedule of events with less events available to prime time broadcast;

· Less spectators and therefore a less TV friendly product;

· Rights Holding Broadcaster personnel having to work longer days with the potential of having to send

more staff on site and thus higher production costs;

· Additional programming issues for the top broadcasting markets due to the time difference.

I think that's rather pathetic from America, that means that they won't be happy with 2016 games, next Australian games they wont be happy and any middle eastern alternative games too, Dubai's heat is as bad as Doha 41 degrees on average in july august so is it NBC running the show now

There is no foundation for the above post. First, it's not "America", it's NBC. Second, NBC has entered into a business arrangement with the IOC and agreed to pay BILLIONS of dollars, therefore they have the right to require the IOC to honor the terms of their agreement. Third, nothing has corroborated this story and we don't even know if it is true.

In fact, an anonymous IOC member has said that the calendar was not the overriding issue. According to the working group report they were also concerned about the feasibility of delivering so many new projects in a short time, the proximity of the World Cup, the reliability of proposed climate control, probable lack of spectators and a massive carbon footprint.

If the IOC wanted to move the Games to October, they certainly could. NBC would almost certainly still want to televise them too. However, October Games are only worth a fraction of what true Summer Games are worth. The IOC can change the dates, but they would have to change the price to match because the same market share is simply not available in October.

NBC has every right to object.

Incidentally, we are talking about the "SUMMER Olympic Games"........

The article seems real to me and if it's not then wasting my time.

Yes they spent lots of money but that will affect and Australian and south American bid huge time zone differences but Sydney was still a success.

To me after reading the report the major factor was climate problem had a section devoted all areas scored very highly with enviro being mid. Yes summer games but the sydney games were held in our spring which wouldve been Americas autumn.

What I'm saying is I don't think it's fair that a city can be scrapped by anyone but the ioc, it's like a threat if doha win we won't we won't continue our agreement. Plus this will affect other cities if a hot African city or Australian city bid then what throw them out. I'd go to those games and I'd go to Qatar too, I know it is nowhere near doha's time and I understand IOC's decision but that's what im saying was it the IOC's decision

Arch I hate this Internet connection scrapped everything I said and isn't popping up

Well il sum it up cause I'm not writing my 3 paragraphs again.

Sydney was in my spring Americas autumn. NBC caused a fuss then didn't they? This will jeopardize any future southern hemisphere bid. I am aware its not doha.s time but they have scored high twice now and were kicked from 2016 cause climate I'm sure NBC factored there too and now booted again because of some new enviro reason. Evidence is there, they are high scoring bids and although itS not there time I think it is there time to be shortlisted

If by 2016 Doha has built up there infrastructure you think they'll make it then?everyone will have a big carbon footprint nowadays. Brazil has 2014 wc and 2016 olympics. America has had 2 enter and summer within 4 years and 6 years. I am very aware they are larger cities but I think if anyone had the finance to pull off such an event it's Doha but money isn't all

I respect the IOC's decision but it's just that was it the IOC's decision

And of course one both of what I said came up well read both cause I added some bits in my 2nd post, don't go o hard sorry I'm arguing alot today :/

OMFG! The IOC IS the one that made the fricken decision! You really think that they truly, 100% cared what NBC had to say?! Someone at the meeting prob said; "oh, look. NBC would 'object' to October Games". N someone else then prob said; "yeah, okay. So?"

This is the IOC's party & they can invite whomever they want, whenever they want. Obviously, the IOC is NOT interested in Doha (nor Baku) at this time. Just like they weren't interested in Istanbul in the past for 4 times, but now they R paying much more attention to the Turks.

N like it's been noted many times before by others here, it was more than just the climate issue that sunk it for them. Of course the "report" isn't going to point out everything. The IOC needs to be diplomatic about it. What do you think - that the IOC was also going to say; "sorry, Doha but you just have WAY too many other issues, too. Like no sporting tradition. Never sending female atheletes to the Games. The "corruption" (since you like that word) allegations against your World Cup win. The fact that you're only a city-nation smaller than the city of Baku & you want to host two-mega sporting events within 2 years, which is over-extending yourself for such a small nation. Ticket sale issues, etc, etc, etc".

C'mon, get over it already, geesh. They're cut. It's time to move on & stop whining about Doha's elimination. It even took China, CHINA, 2 fricken tries before they got it. Let alone some middling nation that still has a long way to prove themselves. The IOC doesn't just hand over the Games just cuz one says so. You need to EARN them!

The whole "preferring summer to autumn" angle won't stop the IOC from considering other southern hemisphere bids. Sydney was a September games and as much as NBC might not have liked it, Australia put themselves in a position where they made it very hard for the IOC not to like them. If Qatar could put forth an iconic city, exponentially increase its population and landmass, and develop some type of Olympic sporting tradition, the IOC would be more than willing to overlook the fact that Doha wants a Summer Games in autumn.

The whole "preferring summer to autumn" angle won't stop the IOC from considering other southern hemisphere bids. Sydney was a September games and as much as NBC might not have liked it, Australia put themselves in a position where they made it very hard for the IOC not to like them. If Qatar could put forth an iconic city, exponentially increase its population and landmass, and develop some type of Olympic sporting tradition, the IOC would be more than willing to overlook the fact that Doha wants a Summer Games in autumn.

Thank you! Agreed Sydney compared to Doha is miles ahead and Doha is nowhere near an olympic city yet, if they improve infrastructure and go for 2028 or 32 they should be shortlisted (would be 6 years and 10 years from fifa world cup respectively) so i think that problem might be a while gone maybe not, I guess we will have to wait and see for the upcoming bid races but for now its Istanbul Madrid and Tokyo

LOL@

Olympic Fan Darcy

relax,

I think i was a just a tad bit passionate yesterday :P to say the least haha sorry!

Thank you! Agreed Sydney compared to Doha is miles ahead and Doha is nowhere near an olympic city yet, if they improve infrastructure and go for 2028 or 32 they should be shortlisted (would be 6 years and 10 years from fifa world cup respectively) so i think that problem might be a while gone maybe not, I guess we will have to wait and see for the upcoming bid races but for now its Istanbul Madrid and Tokyo

It's not just about infrastructure. Leipzig, Birmingham and Minneapolis can build the infrastructure. Does Qatar have that iconic city like Sydney or Cape Town? A population of tens of millions of citizens? Who will benefit from a Qatari Olympics when 75% of the population is temporary foreign workers? Any Olympic sporting tradition in EITHER gender? Qatar should increase it's population by another 20 million and start building an Olympic tradition, and try again in 30 years. If their landmass can't support 20 million citizens, then expand the landmass. If they can't expand the landmass, well then, some countries just weren't mean to host an Olympics.

Darcy, I'm sure NBC didn't like the idea of Doha, but I'm also sure there were MORE THAN ENOUGH OTHER REASONS for the IOC to eliminate Doha. I listed them already but here we go again.

Proximity to WC.

Uncertain ability to deliver so many new projects simultaneously.

Lack of spectator base.

Lack of legacy and post-Games use of venues.

Untested cooling systems.

Huge carbon footprint.

The IOC made the choice. Not NBC. It was the right choice for many reasons. Stop trying to make "America" (as you initially wrote) your scapegoat.

Darcy, I'm sure NBC didn't like the idea of Doha, but I'm also sure there were MORE THAN ENOUGH OTHER REASONS for the IOC to eliminate Doha. I listed them already but here we go again.

Proximity to WC.

Uncertain ability to deliver so many new projects simultaneously.

Lack of spectator base.

Lack of legacy and post-Games use of venues.

Untested cooling systems.

Huge carbon footprint.

The IOC made the choice. Not NBC. It was the right choice for many reasons. Stop trying to make "America" (as you initially wrote) your scapegoat.

There is much more as well.

There is much more as well.

A lot of the commentary I've read over the past week or so indicated the IOC were worried that both Doha's and Baku's deep pockets would have inflated the marketing spend on the campaign and left them open to the old temptations of corruption. Certainly the 2022 WC's been the big elephant in the room regarding Doha for sure.

A lot of the commentary I've read over the past week or so indicated the IOC were worried that both Doha's and Baku's deep pockets would have inflated the marketing spend on the campaign and left them open to the old temptations of corruption. Certainly the 2022 WC's been the big elephant in the room regarding Doha for sure.

I did comment on that. Altho Japan is ready to spend their $75 million which I think should be spent on rehabilitating the Fukushima area rather than spending it on glossy brochures, videos and Kobe beef-sake receptions.

Archived