Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Texas

American Track Athlete Lashinda Demus: “we know that we’re competing in a dying sport”

hmmmm...

Actually, I like the high jump and the pole vault. But all the rest were invented when those Greeks didn't know any better. Maybe they'll go the way of the pankriaton (sp?).

Track and Field won't go away as it's the only sport that makes the English speaking Caribbean islands relevant in the world's sporting scene.

Track and Field won't go away as it's the only sport that makes the English speaking Caribbean islands relevant in the world's sporting scene.

But the world doesn't revolve around those Caribbean islands or whatever sports they indulge in.

T&F is boring. Everything just happens in seconds; and those long races--who wants to watch those sweaty guys race around the track 20 times? I mean any race rabbit can do that. T&F is just forced onto TV audiences. If network executives had their pick in selecting the most telegenic sports, T&F would be down there with, I dunno, cricket.

Gee, now where have I heard all that before. Seriously.. are you trying to make it obvious or do you just not care we all know who you are? I almost hate to stray myles away from the original point, but..

Pretty sure network executives DO have their pick in what sports they show and track & field is still near the top of the list. It's sport in its simplest form. Running, jumping, throwing. What fits "Citius, Altius, Fortius" better than track & field? I doubt the reason track & field has gone downhill in the eyes of Americans, let alone the rest of the world, is that you don't like perspiration

To 1 of Demus' points, track & field isn't exactly the most media-friendly sport in the 21st century. Meets can be exceedingly long. On their own in that regard, they can get boring (as opposed to being a part of a bigger multi-sport festival like the Olympics). And yes, there's a lot of set-up for not so much competition. I don't know what the solution for all that is, but needless to say the emergance of some newer homegrown stars wouldn't hurt matters.

Gee, now where have I heard all that before. Seriously.. are you trying to make it obvious or do you just not care we all know who you are? I almost hate to stray myles away from the original point, but..

Pretty sure network executives DO have their pick in what sports they show and track & field is still near the top of the list. It's sport in its simplest form. Running, jumping, throwing. What fits "Citius, Altius, Fortius" better than track & field? I doubt the reason track & field has gone downhill in the eyes of Americans, let alone the rest of the world, is that you don't like perspiration

To 1 of Demus' points, track & field isn't exactly the most media-friendly sport in the 21st century. Meets can be exceedingly long. On their own in that regard, they can get boring (as opposed to being a part of a bigger multi-sport festival like the Olympics). And yes, there's a lot of set-up for not so much competition. I don't know what the solution for all that is, but needless to say the emergance of some newer homegrown stars wouldn't hurt matters.

USA Track and Field could easily create a homegrown star out of its current crop. There are some viable candidates among the crop, including Allyson Felix. She has won everything except an Individual Olympic gold medal.

Comments from Sanya Richards-Ross on this issue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18083154

One error: Sanya's husband is not an NFL star. He's an average player at best who just got overpaid millions.

Richards-Ross could be another homegrown star, but she doesn't have the record of accomplishments that Allyson Felix does. That could change with an individual gold medal in London.

Again, it should be Allyson Felix. I think it will be her if she wins an individual Olympic gold medal and she's committed to USA Track and Field until Rio 2016, which I think she will be. Felix should be the face of the sport for the next four years (if London isn't her last Olympics, and I don't think it is, as she's only 26).