The government needs to take control of the Olympi

The_Torch

Yes, this was always going to be a an obstacle for London 2012. Though 81% of the land required for the Olympic Park has already been secured.

Hold on tight peoples, I feel a few law suits coming on.

Who said it was going to be easy?

:laughlong:

I'm just glad we're having these problems now and not in 2009. Apparently China is still in the process of "acquiring" land for the Beijing Games. That's "acquiring" by way of paying off the landowners with cash sums far below the land's value, along with relocation assistance which makes the Marshgate Lane traders' concerns seem like a school playground conker fight.

Ultimately, when it comes to building the venues, all I want to hear are three magic words: fixed price contracts. Then if the costs overrun, no-one except the contractors will have to foot the bill. If the handover is late, the price of the contract goes down. I just wish someone had done that with our new Tower down here in Portsmouth. £33 million. THIRTY-THREE MILLION! Originally £16 million. Now scale that up for the Olympics. See what dithering can do? It won't be one billion. It'll be two. Or two and a half. Shudder to think.

The government needs to take control of the Olympic site

It was the private consortium building the new Wembly that duped the government over the athletics track.

We don't want anything like that happening again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...012/default.stm

It was ultimately the private consortium that paid most of the bill for the new Wembley which I don't believe could ever have hosted an Olympics anyway even with a perminant track. While private business might lookout for themselves they have nothing on politicians when it comes to ****ing up sports projects.

Archived