Short List

Faster

Wow, looking good for Madrid. I expected the crisis would have made them lose more points. It seems it wasn't the case.

Maybe they can perform a feat a la Pyeongchang and use again the "third time is a charm" rule. But we will have to wait and see.

Tokyo, Madrid and Chicago all scored above eventual winner Rio for 2016 as well. The technical side's all been addressed now. The emotional sell is what will win it now.

And Istanbul can play the "fourth time's a charm" card.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Istanbul can play the "fourth time's a charm" card.

Actually, that would be the 'fitth time's a charm'. I'm starting to get the impression now that Istanbul 2020 has gotten a major boost today. And with the elimination of both Doha & Baku, Istanbul could get the sentimental votes in the regard that it's the only Muslim bid left standing.

It took a lot of time for me, but I made an aproximate score according to the report...

Istanbul 6.987 aprox 7.0

Tokyo 8.024 aprox 8.0

Baku 5.536 aprox 5.5

Doha 7.201 aprox 7.2

Madrid 8.097 aprox 8.1

Maybe they can perform a feat a la Pyeongchang and use again the "third time is a charm" rule. But we will have to wait and see.

From this point on, it's emotional appeal. And Madrid & Tokyo shouldn't use their 2nd, 3rd time cries because Istanbul will cry: this is our f*cking 5th TRY!! How can one top that?

Istanbul could get the sentimental votes in the regard that it's the only Muslim bid left standing.

Yeah, I agree, I do think this has just changed the dynamics of the race and really boosted the Turks' chances tremendously now.

And, yeah, fifth time. Thanks for the correction.

I'm still surprised... Doha would have scored higher than Istanbul according to their report, if you don't believe it then make your mathematic calculs... I'm also suprised Madrid was higher than Tokyo :o

I'll repost the table. (I can't seam to install a table into this forum)

Istanbul (85.50 - 110) Avg 6.98

Tokyo (101.50 - 123.00) Avg 8.02

Baku (62.50 - 93) Avg 5.55

Doha (89.00 - 114.50) Avg 7.27

Madrid (103.00 - 123.50) Avg 8.05

Venues Village IBC/MPC Sport Enivor Accoum Tranp Medical Safety Telec Energy Legal Support Finance TOTAL

Istan

Low 6 6 6 5.5 5 6 5 7 6 6 6 7 8 6 85.50

High 8 8 8 7 7 8 7 8 7 8 8 9 9 8 110.00

Avg 7 7 7 6.25 6 7 6 7.5 6.5 7 7 8 8.5 7 6.98

Tokyo

Low 7 8 8 7 5.5 9 8 8 7 9 5 7 6 7 101.50

High 9 9 9 8 8 10 9 9 9 9 8 9 9 8 123.00

Avg 8 8.5 8.5 7.5 6.75 9.5 8.5 8.5 8 9 6.5 8 7.5 7.5 8.02

Baku

Low 4 5 4 3.5 4 3 4 5 4 5 4 6 7 4 62.50

High 7 8 6 5.5 7 5 7 7 6 7 5.5 7 9 6 93.00

Avg 5.5 6.5 5 4.5 5.5 4 5.5 6 5 6 4.75 6.5 8 5 5.55

Doha

Low 5 7 7 5 4 5 6 8 6 7 7 6 8 8 89.00

High 8.5 9.5 9 7.5 6 8 8 9 7 8 9 7 9 9 114.50

Avg 6.75 8.25 8 6.25 5 6.5 7 8.5 6.5 7.5 8 6.5 8.5 8.5 7.27

Madrid

Low 8 7 6 7.5 7.5 8 8 8 7 9 8 7 7 5 103.00

High 9 9 9 8.5 9 9 9 9 8 9 9 9 9 8 123.50

Avg 8.5 8 7.5 8 8.25 8.5 8.5 8.5 7.5 9 8.5 8 8 6.5 8.09

Wow can't wait to read that in full at home

Doha didn't seem to bad excer environment would've thought Madrid finance would be lower

Didn't see Baku Tokyo or Madrid yet will read when on computer

Wasn't sydney games in September and they were pretty successful why not propose air-conditioned stadiums if you want in august or sept maybe they should read these forums. Can someone sum up the enviro problem it's way too leggy for my iPod touch so if you can post here would be appreciated.

Wasn't sydney games in September and they were pretty successful why not propose air-conditioned stadiums if you want in august or sept maybe they should read these forums.

What about the outdoor sports? It's NOT just the enclosed venues that matter; it's the indigenous population; and the overall comfort of visitors, SPONSORS and the athletes. Doha and all those Gulf-Arab countries just have very extreme conditions NOT conducive to outdoor sports. You can bet visitors going to WC 2022 will be the bitchiest in history!! And I think the IOC has sensed that.

GET OVER IT! Doha has been cut. It wasn't a good enough candidate. Doha? Nada!

The IOC Executive Committee has set this up for Istanbul to win and Tokyo to act as an insurance policy.

The winner will be determined by a few things that happen in the coming months. Over the next year, the bid that does the most tweaks to refine their bid will win points with the IOC. And then after that, the bid that tells the most compelling story will win. If Istanbul address the IOC's concerns, they will win, because they have the story. If they don't meet enough of the IOC's needs, say hello to Tokyo 2020.

GET OVER IT! Doha has been cut. It wasn't a good enough candidate. Doha? Nada!

The IOC Executive Committee has set this up for Istanbul to win and Tokyo to act as an insurance policy.

The winner will be determined by a few things that happen in the coming months. Over the next year, the bid that does the most tweaks to

refine their bid will win points with the IOC. And then after that, the bid that tells the most compelling story will win. If Istanbul address the IOC's concerns, they will win, because they have the story. If they don't meet enough of the IOC's needs, say hello to Tokyo 2020.

Calm down apparently they got higher scores then istanbul. I'm thinking about future bids for

Doha

What about the outdoor sports? It's NoT just the enclosed venues that matter; it's the indigenous population; and the overall comfort of visitors, SPONSORS and the athletes. Doha and all those Gulf-Arab countries just have very extreme conditions NOT conducive to outdoor sports. You can bet visitors going to WC 2022 will be the bitchiest in history!! And I think the IOC has sensed that.

Mmk no Doha games then unless IOC accept october

It took a lot of time for me, but I made an aproximate score according to the report...

Istanbul 6.987 aprox 7.0

Tokyo 8.024 aprox 8.0

Baku 5.536 aprox 5.5

Doha 7.201 aprox 7.2

Madrid 8.097 aprox 8.1

How could you do that without knowing the factor used by IOC on each themes....

Gilbert Felli warned everyone during the presentation to not to do so, as it was more complex that to do an average...

IOC Executive Boards votes

AP has obtained vote totals for 2020 shortlist.12-0 in favor of both Madrid + Tokyo and 11-1 for Istanbul. Baku rejected 0-12 and Doha 3-9.

Doha can always host an IOC Session or the YOGs. They already WC 2022, what else do those freakin' Qataris want?

Haha i don't know the olympics I guess. Well I think they'll bid for 2024 but anyway sorry for discussing it on 5000 different treads. I'm going or Istanbul new region but madrid would e interesting and Tokyo would be good, can't wait for the bid books

OK just to be transparent: Istanbul had me once I visited the place. It's marvellous and the people of Turkey are just so warm and welcoming. So many great memories in 5 short days.

Now having read the IOC report...I still feel that way. ;)

Tokyo's weaknesses are a lack of public support and the radiation/seismic issue. There've been a couple of "double down" megaquakes in Japan in the last couple of hundred years: one megaquake followed within 2 years by another one further down the same fault system. Based on the 2011 Tohoku quake, that would farther south and closer to Tokyo. If that happens in the next year Tokyo's out, period. But unless public support increases based on IOC polling, they're out, period.

Madrid's clearly made several of the committee's underwear sticky, it's such an obviously biased love-in for Madrid and Spain (gracias Samaranchi). Their climate scores are too high; so are their accommodation scores. Madrid's weakness is being located in Spain--and the proposal to build thousands of flats in a country with thousands of unoccupied and unfinished housing projects sitting abandoned.

Istanbul's weaknesses are transportation and transportation. And Erdogan, a/k/a Sultan Reçep I.

Hey Jawnbc I'd say whatever scores Madrid received were probably well deserved, the same for Istanbul and Tokyo. As far as I can see this forum is fully convinced that Madrid can't win, which is not the opinion of the rest of the olympic world. So you shouldn't be surprised when the IOC scores are higher than what you would give Madrid. Also, implying that the only reason Madrid got the scores they did is still thanks to "Samaranchi" (wtf is with the i? that's not the diminutive in spanish) is insulting and getting lame as an excuse. Madrid does its homework consistently and presents great bids time and again unlike Istanbul's all over the place past bids; so it should be rewarded for that.

Madrid does its homework consistently and presents great bids time and again unlike Istanbul's all over the place past bids; so it should be rewarded for that.

Sure ... as soon as a little bit more time's passed between it and Barcelona 92.

BTW - it's not just us ... most of the Olympic media commentary I've been reading lately is also writing off Madrid's chances ... at least outside the Spanish press.

Hey Jawnbc I'd say whatever scores Madrid received were probably well deserved, the same for Istanbul and Tokyo. As far as I can see this forum is fully convinced that Madrid can't win, which is not the opinion of the rest of the olympic world. So you shouldn't be surprised when the IOC scores are higher than what you would give Madrid. Also, implying that the only reason Madrid got the scores they did is still thanks to "Samaranchi" (wtf is with the i? that's not the diminutive in spanish) is insulting and getting lame as an excuse. Madrid does its homework consistently and presents great bids time and again unlike Istanbul's all over the place past bids; so it should be rewarded for that.

well, yeah, Samaranch Sr. was alive in 2005 and 2009; it had high scores--but 3/5ths of the IOC body didn't think that was good enough. 1 vote is all it takes. And Spain has already had an Olympics and a World's Fair, and a basket economy; Turkey has had neither and has a stable economy. So....

(The "i" means plural; like the Winklevoss twins (of the Facebook saga) were called the Winkelvii by wonder boy Mark ZUckerburg.)

Well, well, well.

Baku out, no surprise. Infrastrcture issues, popularion too small, authoritarian government. All equals one thing and that 0 votes.

Doha wasn't a close run thing either. Only 3 of the board voting for them to shortlist and 9 against. As I said a while back, a snowballing of issues for them too which results in this. And FIFA looking rather isolated in their decision to award a World Cup to one city, bloody idiots.

Istanbul through no surprise. One board member voted for them NOT to shortlist though. Interesting.

Tokyo through. I haven't read the report but apparently public support is being questioned, one of the least important factors in determining a winner when all is said and done. If that's their biggest concern I think the Japanese will be pleased with that, but they may wonder how the dynamic of the race now sits.

Madrid top of the pile. Why are people surprised? Most venues in place, government guarantees, hosting experience. Even wih the financial problems this is a very, very stable technical bid, as I've been saying all along.

Will have a proper read later. Shortlist was revealed ten to midnight, and it's first thing in the morning now. So haven't had time to properly digest.

Archived