Short List

Faster

Suck on that Doha!

Honestly, I don't usually actively "dislike" bids, and I expected them to make the short list, but would have been really sh!tty if they'd won at the end. Happy at them missing out to prevent that chance.

Feel a bit sorry for Baku, but that was on the cards. They've got Eurovision this week to console them.

I'd just love to see the scores for the others now!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Doha REALLY tought they stood a chance after what happened two years ago. This is the IOC, not the FIFA :lol:

I feel more bad for Baku, though...and the Eurovision was supossed to help them improve their image. I guess that the country being ruled by an authoritarian goverment is not helping.

Congratulations to Tokyo, Madrid and Istambul, though. Best of luck for them. And now Istambul has a good excuse to make a proper logo :lol:

Did Doha REALLY tought they stood a chance after what happened two years ago. This is the IOC, not the FIFA :lol:

I feel more bad for Baku, though...and the Eurovision was supossed to help them improve their image. I guess that the country being ruled by an authoritarian goverment is not helping.

Congratulations to Tokyo, Madrid and Istambul, though. Best of luck for them. And now Istambul has a good excuse to make a proper logo :lol:

Well when I watched the Amazing Race 20 visit Baku I was not impressed at all. It needs a lot of work. Putting up new shiny sports venues is not enough.

It hasn'tbothered me till now - but the time has come.

WHERE'S THE BLOODY LOGO, ISTANBUL?????????

yup..there are no broadcast.no proper ceremony, unhealthy mascot,reused singapore torch,didnt used medal from contest, and many more....

Well they are the Youth Olympics after all and can't be compared with a potential SUmmer Games host.

@LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL at unhealthy mascot.

Wow, looking good for Madrid. I expected the crisis would have made them lose more points. It seems it wasn't the case.

Maybe they can perform a feat a la Pyeongchang and use again the "third time is a charm" rule. But we will have to wait and see.

Ok, I was reading the report and I saw the following stuff:

1- Istambul was suggested they still need to refine certain things to improve athletes and other participants experience. They were also a bit criticized for their venues being spread out (specially the long distance between the olympic village with the rest of the venues), but keeping with the long term needings of the city.

2-Tokyo wasn't pretty much criticized and was praised for being a good technical bid, and for being very compact: However, they also mentioned that a large percentage of people, in the IOC public opinion, shown no opinion about the bid. They suggested that they need a better communication plan.

3-Madrid was praised, like Tokyo, for being very compact. Also they said that "There is a clear vision for the 2020 Olympic Games as a celebration of sport and the Games are viewed as an opportunity and catalyst to boost economic development and create sustainable social legacies to further improve the life of Madrid’s residents.". However, and as predicted, they also mentioned the current economic situation in Spain, saying that despite they have most of the venues ready, some of the ones which will be needed to be built will present a challenge.

4-Baku didnt passed the cut because of the still underdeveloped infrastructure and experience. Also, "Concern was also expressed whether the significant amount of construction required to host the Games was consistent with the size and legacy needs of the city."

5- Doha didnt passed the cut because it would had a strong enviromental impact. Also, they considered the effects towards the broadcasting of the games because of the dates selected. Transporting was also very criticized and considered a risk.

In my opinion, Tokyo and Madrid are pretty much tied. Madrid has the problem of the financial situation in Spain, while Tokyo needs to convince more people to support the bid. However both bids got good critics and were praised for their compact bid.

Here are the scores. (Let's hopes the table is formatted)

Venues Village IBC/MPC Sport Exp Enivor Accoum Transport Medical Safety Telecomm. Energy Legal Support Finance TOTAL Istanbul Low 6 6 6 5.5 5 6 5 7 6 6 6 7 8 6 85.5 High 8 8 8 7 7 8 7 8 7 8 8 9 9 8 110 Tokyo Low 7 8 8 7 5.5 9 8 8 7 9 5 7 6 7 101.5 High 9 9 9 8 8 10 9 9 9 9 8 9 9 8 123 Baku Low 4 5 4 3.5 4 3 4 5 4 5 4 6 7 4 62.5 High 7 8 6 5.5 7 5 7 7 6 7 5.5 7 9 6 93 Doha Low 5 7 7 5 4 5 6 8 6 7 7 6 8 8 89 High 8.5 9.5 9 7.5 6 8 8 9 7 8 9 7 9 9 114.5 Madrid Low 8 7 6 7.5 7.5 8 8 8 7 9 8 7 7 5 103 High 9 9 9 8.5 9 9 9 9 8 9 9 9 9 8 123.5

Archived