Short List

Faster

All 4 will make candidacy, except perhaps for Doha. But Baku's not got a chance in hell--there's so much negative press out there because of the Eurovision this year.

I still think it's Istanbul ahead at this point--so long as Erdogan's arrogance is kept in check and he at least acknowledges the concerns about the Euro event. Ultimately I think Turkey's decision will be based on their intelligence gathering: if they get the sense they've no real chance they'll go with FIFA and grease palms accordingly; otherwise the OSG will take precedent.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is the first post I liked of urs. There is a first for everything :lol:

Y? Bcuz I (as do others, too) don't view everything on these boards with your bias Toronto "Olympic"-style spectacle blinders. Too bad that I can't say the same with your 2,500+ trifling (Toronto) posts. :P

I've been following these forums for a couple of years now and I thought I'd just put my 2 cents into this discussion on 2020, which I find to be one of the most interesting and volatile bidding races since Moscow and Los Angeles were having it out in the 1970s. Back then the Cold War and security made the Olympics unappealing, taking the power of choice away from the IOC; and now the global economy is doing it again. The fruitful list cities stepping forward for 2012 seems very far away.

As for the shortlist, all the bids have flaws, but I think the only two candidate cities that would give the Olympic movement the best outcome would be Istanbul, followed by Tokyo.

All 4 will make candidacy, except perhaps for Doha. But Baku's not got a chance in hell--there's so much negative press out there because of the Eurovision this year.

I still think it's Istanbul ahead at this point--so long as Erdogan's arrogance is kept in check and he at least acknowledges the concerns about the Euro event. Ultimately I think Turkey's decision will be based on their intelligence gathering: if they get the sense they've no real chance they'll go with FIFA and grease palms accordingly; otherwise the OSG will take precedent.

What negative press has been said about Baku Eurovision? I havent been keeping up with news about it lately been mega busy

Anyway

i think all 5 will make shortlist, if they knock out Doha or Baku i think they might take it to heart and not bid for 2024, i think Doha will continue to bid for a while, think they have the money, i'm probably wrong though haha. All cities do have flaws but Tokyo is in the lead for sure now. When do we find out evaluation scores?

i think all 5 will make shortlist, if they knock out Doha or Baku i think they might take it to heart and not bid for 2024,

Well it would probably be wise because in all honestly, with the calibre of cities that will step forward for 2024 and 2028 I can't see the IOC going somewhere like Doha or Baku. To be quite frank - I think that both these candidatures are delusional.

Y? Bcuz I (as do others, too) don't view everything on these boards with your bias Toronto "Olympic"-style spectacle blinders. Too bad that I can't say the same with your 2,500+ trifling (Toronto) posts. :P

I think majority of my posts have been nothing to do with Toronto. 1 for 6088 posts something you should be proud off

At what time does the shortlist will be announced?

May 23 Programme

Programme of the IOC EB Meetings

Wednesday 23 May

Time (local - EDT)

Meetings / Events

7.50am

Photo opportunity

8 - 10 a.m.

Joint meeting of the IOC EB and the Summer Olympic International Federations

10.05 a.m.

Photo opportunity

10.15 – 11.45 a.m.

Joint meeting of the IOC EB and the International Olympic Winter Sports Federations

1.30 p.m.

IOC press briefing

2.50pm

Photo opportunity

3 - 6 p.m.

IOC Executive Board meeting

6.30 p.m.

IOC press briefing including announcement of 2020 Olympic Games Candidate Cities - available via teleconference

Time specified is EDT (Eastern Daylight Time), which is GMT - 4.

Please note that all times are subject to change.

IOC

I think majority of my posts have been nothing to do with Toronto. 1 for 6088 posts something you should be proud off

I didn't say that the "majority" of your posts are about Toronto (that's Y I put that in parenthesis). But you do have this bad habit of making a lot of them about it.

N really, for someone that's been here for only a year, N already thinks that they "know" everything about the Olympics, it's not like your needless N trivial opinion matters to me TBW. So stop being so antagonizing already, geesh!

I didn't say that the "majority" of your posts are about Toronto (that's Y I put that in parenthesis). But you do have this bad habit of making a lot of them about it.

N really, for someone that's been here for only a year, N already thinks that they "know" everything about the Olympics, it's not like your needless N trivial opinion matters to me TBW. So stop being so antagonizing already, geesh!

Why are you assuming things? You need to grow up. Never have I acted as I know everything about the Olympcis.

CNN will carry the announcement - there wont be the hour long special like they do for the host announcement - however the past few bid cycles they have had the press conference featuring the shortlist announcement.

There will be no major Australian reportage as the candidate phase isn't really newsworthy. There is no real angle for the Aussie media apart from maybe "Tokyo is giving it a go". Unless Doha gets highest marks in which there will be a muted outcry.

CNN will carry the announcement - there wont be the hour long special like they do for the host announcement - however the past few bid cycles they have had the press conference featuring the shortlist announcement.

There will be no major Australian reportage as the candidate phase isn't really newsworthy. There is no real angle for the Aussie media apart from maybe "Tokyo is giving it a go". Unless Doha gets highest marks in which there will be a muted outcry.

Oh crap that sucks! Will it be online?

from Tokyo bid facebook

seems that its a feed to shortlist announce

IOC記者会見ツイキャスLIVE予定!

いよいよ2020年オリンピック・パラリンピックの正式立候補都市がIOCにより選定され、日本時間24日朝7:30からの記者会見で発表されます。招致委員会広報が、現地からこの模様をツイキャスLIVE中継!何都市が残るか、是非ご注目ください! http://twitcasting.tv/tokyo2020jp

IOC LIVE press conference scheduled !

Official candidate cities for 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be selected by the IOC finally, will be announced at a press conference from 7:30 am (24) Japan time

http://twitcasting.tv/tokyo2020jp

Archived