Turkey Has A Choice – Olympics Or Euros

GBModerator

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turkey should just withdraw their Euro 2020 bid. They should've realized that this was their best shot at the Olympics ever & not have bothered to apply for the Euros in the first place. Dumb move.

They should defintely withdraw one thats for sure. If they went ahead with Euro 2020, I think Istanbul would be a very strong contender probably favourite for the games in 2024. If they withdraw from Euro, front runner in 2020 for games and a favourite for euro 2024 for sure...Going for both is a waste of money...both would mean at this stage 100% euro 2020, with a failed olympic bid and wasted funds.

I still think Turkey will choose the games, if they have to choose, but we'll see. If its Euro then definitely tokyo 2020...Unfortunately for Baku, after the horrible games in Athens 2004. I doubt The IOC would want to take a risk with a country that may not be able to cope with such a large event. Even though I honestly believe Baku would do a fine job. :)

Excuse me. The Athens Games were NOT horrible. I was there. Were you?

Here were the issues with Athens:

1. Bureaucratic delays in the first three years.

2. Ballooning security expenses (first SOG post 9/11)

3. Low spectator turnout at some venues.

4. Unexciting food at the venues.

Here are the positives:

Everything was done on time (though they abandoned the roof for the pool).

The city and venues were gorgeous.

A palpable sense of history and pageantry.

Unique, spectacular ceremonies.

No security issues (apart from the marathon disturbance that could've happened anywhere).

Superb transportation.

Friendly, able guides. Very helpful people.

The best Olympic village at that time, according to Rogge.

In retrospect, Greece should've been working on their financial problems rather than hosting the Olympics, but the Games ultimately comprised only a tiny fraction of their debt. They were, however, symptomatic of the spend, spend, spend mentality that crippled the country.

As for lower spectator turnout, is it any wonder? All the media reported for YEARS was how behind everything was, how the venues would not be ready and how they had no confidence in the Greeks to defend against terror attacks. Of course that would affect attendance.

I am not of Greek descent, so I have no vested interest. I have been to several Olympics and I will never forget Athens it was a magical experience and one of the highlights of my life. They staged absolutely magnificent Games.

The IOC will not choose Baku, but it wont have anything to do with the quality of Athens' Games.

Excuse me. The Athens Games were NOT horrible. I was there. Were you?... I am not of Greek descent, so I have no vested interest. I have been to several Olympics and I will never forget Athens it was a magical experience and one of the highlights of my life. They staged absolutely magnificent Games.

The IOC will not choose Baku, but it wont have anything to do with the quality of Athens' Games.

Have you been to Baku? No? But I have lived there for 8 years. So how can you be so sure whenever you speak about it? ;)

Have you been to Baku? No? But I have lived there for 8 years. So how can you be so sure whenever you speak about it? ;)

I have not been to Baku. Nor have I attacked Baku. I can read though. And I have read enough facts from enough reliable sources that I am confident that the IOC will not choose Baku for the 2020 Games. I have no doubt Baku has many wonderful traits, but it is not their time.

Incidentally, the IOC will vote without seeing Baku in person.

I have not been to Baku. Nor have I attacked Baku. I can read though. And I have read enough facts from enough reliable sources that I am confident that the IOC will not choose Baku for the 2020 Games. I have no doubt Baku has many wonderful traits, but it is not their time.

Incidentally, the IOC will vote without seeing Baku in person.

You are judging Baku by a stereotipical attitude towards it. Believe it or not but we are capable of hosting great Olympics and both will benefit out of it IOC and Azerbaijan.We have money for holding a magnifficent event, Olympics has power to accelerate the process of our improvement in all sport, infrastructure and tourism. Another issue is that Olympics can give us more than what would Madrid or Tokyo benefit out of it. For Spain and Japan it is another event but for us this is something that could transform us from an oil-rich country ex-Soviet republic into a modern tourist ans sport hub of our region.

You are judging Baku by a stereotipical attitude towards it. Believe it or not but we are capable of hosting great Olympics and both will benefit out of it IOC and Azerbaijan.We have money for holding a magnifficent event, Olympics has power to accelerate the process of our improvement in all sport, infrastructure and tourism. Another issue is that Olympics can give us more than what would Madrid or Tokyo benefit out of it. For Spain and Japan it is another event but for us this is something that could transform us from an oil-rich country ex-Soviet republic into a modern tourist ans sport hub of our region.

Excuse me, but I have written several posts talking about Baku's excellent campaign, surprising charm and how they seem to have the most personality of any bid. I am saddened by these news reports and saddened by your disproportionate response to them.

I am learning all sorts of things about Baku, both positive and negative. I have not adopted a stereotypical view. I do not believe they will host 2020. Nor do the vast number of posters on these boards. I am not even quite convinced that they CAN host 2020, though this bid is much stronger than the last one.

You may not like my views, but they are not rash or unconsidered.

anytime turkey can host euro s in future... time for the olympics now...

I see your point. But if Turkey turns down UEFA, don't you think UEFA will spite Turkey for many years? Plus, there's still a good chance Istanbul will lose to Tokyo.

tell me athens... whom gonna carry the burden of 24 team euro champ in EU :D

let be honest an econmical crise in that deep wont be easly covered in a year or 2 or 3.

and well platini made a huge hummiluation towards turkey ( not mean france winning but even not shake hands with our president at the voting day and pssed him away) i will be very happy to name him as the only president of uefa that cant find a place to organize the champ.ship in the history.

and how mny years Turkey will wait for EURO for? 24?28?32?? in the end we gonna have it. no prob.

and onthe other hand if Turkish government refuse euro but the games, that will show how it is important for us to organize and how we care about ... i think its the best WOW factor of Istanbul 2020 that no body can deny . refusing the biggest sport event in europe and 3 in the world while its guarantee for the sake of the games.

try to see the big picture man..eu economical growth is nearly 0. russia and turkey backing te whole continent ...

4 years passed nearly from the first crises spread from usa . now see how is eu. cant predict if it takes another 5 or 10 to recover. USA economical signals still not healty and europe is deadly sick. japan in reseseation. brics and next 11 countries taking whole world stand.

add this a iran and gulf crises. it will be the dead of europe but not turkey or russia.

If Turkey was unhappy with Platini or UEFA's conduct during the 2016 race, what exactly are they doing in the 2020 race? I sure as hell wouldn't want England going back cap-in-hand to Blatter's FIFA. Either it doesn't say much for Turkey's self-respect, or those involved in the bid aren't as bothered as you are.

try to see the big picture man..eu economical growth is nearly 0. russia and turkey backing te whole continent ...

So?

Whether that's true or not (and this isn't the thread for that discussion), that doesn't change the fact that at least four countries in Western Europe have the stadiums to host tomorrow if they wanted. A Euros in England or Germany or Spain would be massively profitable to both UEFA and the country involved, regardless of the state of the economy.

So UEFA could lock Turkey out for a few cycles if they wanted to. I don't think they will, and I think 2020 will actually end up in your country, but if Turkey plays silly-buggers out of spite, UEFA doesn't have to take it.

why government doesnt support euro this time ny ide guys u have? one of the biggest bribe issue in republic history and federation tries to cloud it with euro application. ;) search it u may find it on uncle google.

i even dont sure uefa will give euro 2020 to this federation

Olympics has power to accelerate the process of our improvement in all sport, infrastructure and tourism. Another issue is that Olympics can give us more than what would Madrid or Tokyo benefit out of it. For Spain and Japan it is another event but for us this is something that could transform us from an oil-rich country ex-Soviet republic into a modern tourist ans sport hub of our region.

Many of the people in Spain & Japan would disagree with you. With Spain's struggling economy, it's a chance to get the country back on track. And with Japan, it's an opportunity to get the country together & help rebuild after the Fukushima tsunami. So it would be more than just "another event" for them.

And besides, this agrument worked for Rio mainly bcuz it was an entire CONTINENT that never hosted the Games & presented a much larger impact than just merely "a region". N with Sochi already hosting a Games in the Caucasus, I can't see the IOC being in any hurry to award another Games just down the street from there.

Have you been to Baku? No? But I have lived there for 8 years.

N Y don't u live there anymore, hmmmm.

if Turkey ditches a bid for 2020 olympic and goes ahead for a euro one instead i dont think they'll become a favourite for 2024 i think the ioc will hold a grudge (i would) and not award them the games, they would hypothetically pick the euro games over olympics why would they reward them by helping 2024. I wouldnt vote for them, they had perseverance yes but ruined it by this stupid bid for euro 2020. Turkey really screwed up unless they ditch the euro 2020 and stick to olympics doubt they can be seen in a good light.

I still think UEFA will be petty and spite Turkey if they bail out now... Even to their own detriment.

i think IOC would do the same if they bail out of the olympic bid

Except the IOC actually has grounds to view Turkey as a somewhat flaky bidder. They also have more options than UEFA. I don't know that the IOC would be spiting Tukey as much as they would just be a bit wary.

No matter what happens Turkey has largely brought this on themselves. Past history with substandard IOC bids and frequent UEFA bids doesn't really help them either. Frankly, they don't seem to understand how to play the game and what it takes to win. Perseverance, yes, but also strategy and focus -- both of which seem to be lacking.

The IOC has good reason to be nervous.

Methinks this topic is going to heat up again very, very soon. And I've been a bit busy at work lately, so haven't had much time to consider it. But, hey, before imminent fireworks break out, my two cents worth:

If I was the Turkish NOC, I can't see why I'd drop the Big Glittering Five Rings Prize I've been trying so long to go for and for which I have never had a better shot, in favour of a second tier event of little interest outside its immediate locale with little in the way of memorable long-term glamour legacy left behind – even if they just have to say “yes” to be guaranteed it. UEFA should be footing a share of the blame in getting over-ambitious with growing the Euro tournament, thus leaving too few potential bidder willing to go for it. They deserve to stew in their juices. And Istanbul should keep its eye on the big prize, not settle for the guaranteed consolation prize. It's a risk to hold out for the SOGs, but the payoffs would be so much of a magnitude greater.

The biggest priority for Turkey is to settle the issue once and for all – bite the bullet and go for it. If they dropped the Euro bid now, it would hardly be remembered in a year's time in the heat of an Oly bid. The alternative, however, could be disastrous – the last thing Istanbul would need is for the issue to just linger on and on with no real resolution, potential voters getting pissed of because the situation is up in the air, and Istanbul having to spend the next year or so defending its position rather than have the freedom to campaign and market its strengths and what it would be able to bring to the Olympic movement.

Like the Government financial guarantees to Chicago, or the Bavarian farmers to Munich, leave an issue unresolved and it just stops you getting your main message across. And mark my words – without the Euro 2020 hassles, Istanbul should be an extremely strong competitor to Tokyo, indeed, the only one that really could challenge Tokyo IMO.

Methinks this topic is going to heat up again very, very soon. And I've been a bit busy at work lately, so haven't had much time to consider it. But, hey, before imminent fireworks break out, my two cents worth:

If I was the Turkish NOC, I can't see why I'd drop the Big Glittering Five Rings Prize I've been trying so long to go for and for which I have never had a better shot, in favour of a second tier event of little interest outside its immediate locale with little in the way of memorable long-term glamour legacy left behind – even if they just have to say “yes” to be guaranteed it. UEFA should be footing a share of the blame in getting over-ambitious with growing the Euro tournament, thus leaving too few potential bidder willing to go for it. They deserve to stew in their juices. And Istanbul should keep its eye on the big prize, not settle for the guaranteed consolation prize. It's a risk to hold out for the SOGs, but the payoffs would be so much of a magnitude greater.

The biggest priority for Turkey is to settle the issue once and for all – bite the bullet and go for it. If they dropped the Euro bid now, it would hardly be remembered in a year's time in the heat of an Oly bid. The alternative, however, could be disastrous – the last thing Istanbul would need is for the issue to just linger on and on with no real resolution, potential voters getting pissed of because the situation is up in the air, and Istanbul having to spend the next year or so defending its position rather than have the freedom to campaign and market its strengths and what it would be able to bring to the Olympic movement.

Like the Government financial guarantees to Chicago, or the Bavarian farmers to Munich, leave an issue unresolved and it just stops you getting your main message across. And mark my words – without the Euro 2020 hassles, Istanbul should be an extremely strong competitor to Tokyo, indeed, the only one that really could challenge Tokyo IMO.

Very thoughtful post.

Based on what we've seen from the Turks so far, I'd be very surprised if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot by trying to keep both possibilities alive. Although your argument is very persuasive, I still expect them to choose UEFA. Finally, even if they did choose the Olympic bid, I question their ability to run the type of campaign you envision -- a taut, on-point, compelling focused effort.

In other words, based on what the Turks have demonstrated so far, I suspect they'll go against your recommendations at almost every turn.

The next two weeks will be very interesting....

I'm still confident in predicting Istanbul will not host the 2020 Olympic Games.

Just because GamesBids Index puts Istanbul at the top doesn't mean that they should automatically drop their Euro bid...

Irrespective of Euro, Istanbul plans are challenging.

Could be done, but current situation in Rio (e.g. venue plan still not finalised) will probably not help Istanbul.

It would be a very risky move to drop a sure thing (Euro) against a not so sure thing.

Archived