Turkey Has A Choice – Olympics Or Euros

GBModerator

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has to be the Euros - in the bag as the only bidder, plus its a complete nationwide event.

Makes the US and South African decision not to bid for 2020 seem even more foolish especially as it seemed with the former that several cities were happy to give it a go.

Well, that should silence all those posters who insist there's no problem with Turkey hosting both events.

Just makes the decisions of those nations who chose not to bid even more silly.

Talk about missing an opportunity

Has to be the Euros - in the bag as the only bidder, plus its a complete nationwide event.

Makes the US and South African decision not to bid for 2020 seem even more foolish especially as it seemed with the former that several cities were happy to give it a go.

No it doesn't. Neither the US nor South Africa chose to stay out of the race because they were afraid of the competition -- least of all Istanbul.

The US stayed out for lack of a revenue deal. SA stayed out because the government felt other domestic issues required their resources more urgently. I doubt either country regrets their decision at all.

No it doesn't. Neither the US nor South Africa chose to stay out of the race because they were afraid of the competition -- least of all Istanbul.

The US stayed out for lack of a revenue deal. SA stayed out because the government felt other domestic issues required their resources more urgently. I doubt either country regrets their decision at all.

but realistically if they ever bid again, they are likely to come up against a tougher field.

Well, that should silence all those posters who insist there's no problem with Turkey hosting both events.

Indeed Athensfan! I was expecting this debate to go on for months. On the face of it, that's as decisive an end to an argument as I've ever witnessed on these forums!

kryton.jpg

And yet.....why is he saying this now? He must know that it's looking likely UEFA will award their tournament to Turkey before the IOC votes. The scenario he speaks of is looking less and less likely by the day. Something seems odd if he's decided to say this now; unless of course this was simply an answer to an unknown question put to him by a journalist.

If he's said this off his own back, perhaps it's a subtle hint that they should drop their Euro bid now without saying as such? But I'd find it incredible if Turkey turned down the certainty of the Euros in favour of a hypothetical chance of the Olympics. If Rogge is playing politics to try to force Ankara to be focused solely on the Games, I don't think it'll work.

but realistically if they ever bid again, they are likely to come up against a tougher field.

Probably. But we can't focus on the external considerations to the exclusion of the internal ones. Both SA and the US felt 2020 was the wrong time for them based on factors that had nothing to do with the other bidders.

Indeed Athensfan! I was expecting this debate to go on for months. On the face of it, that's as decisive an end to an argument as I've ever witnessed on these forums!

kryton.jpg

And yet.....why is he saying this now? He must know that it's looking likely UEFA will award their tournament to Turkey before the IOC votes. The scenario he speaks of is looking less and less likely by the day. Something seems odd if he's decided to say this now; unless of course this was simply an answer to an unknown question put to him by a journalist.

If he's said this off his own back, perhaps it's a subtle hint that they should drop their Euro bid now without saying as such? But I'd find it incredible if Turkey turned down the certainty of the Euros in favour of a hypothetical chance of the Olympics. If Rogge is playing politics to try to force Ankara to be focused solely on the Games, I don't think it'll work.

I don't know that the IOC is secretly hoping to be able to award the Games to Istanbul (in fact, I seriously doubt it). I do think the IOC would prefer that Istanbul make a decision one way or the other as quickly as possible.

I'm sure UEFA would prefer a commitment one way or the other too. UEFA is not going to let Turkey be non-committal and drag their feet until the IOC vote. They will try to lock them in quickly and force them to make a decision ASAP.

My guess is that Turkey will drop the Olympic bid.

Ok so there's an actual IOC rule that says they can't host another major event in the same year, that's interesting. That's settled, no double hosting. I still think it could be done feasibly, had the rules allowed for it and had the IOC and UEFA been willing, but no point in talking about it now.

Which leaves us with the question of how they'll tackle this. I say, make it known to both parties the Olympics will have first priority, and that if UEFA forces Turkey to sign a commitment early, then sign it on the condition that it can be revoked if Istanbul wins the Olympics. If the UEFA doesn't like it, too bad so sad.

yeah there's a rule cause i was reading my paris 2012 bid book and it said we go by the guidelines that we will not host any major events during the games prior or after

I think Turkey should just take EURO 2020 which is a quarantee rather than to bid for something they are not sure about. Good luck!

if they do then hello tokyo 2020

NOW I am confused.

It there is an IOC rule that states a host country cannot host another major sporting event in the same year, why wasn't there a problem with Korea potentially hosting the 2014 Asian Games and the 2014 Winter Olympics? Incheon was chosen as the 2014 Asian Games host in April 2007, 2.5 months before the 2014 Olympic vote, where Pyeongchang narrowly lost to Sochi by 4 votes. Not only was there no peep from the IOC, but Pyeongchang almost won. Or is the Asian Games not considered a major sporting event by the IOC? I know that the events would've been 7-8 months apart unlike with Turkey, but are rules not rules?

NOW I am confused.

It there is an IOC rule that states a host country cannot host another major sporting event in the same year, why wasn't there a problem with Korea potentially hosting the 2014 Asian Games and the 2014 Winter Olympics? Incheon was chosen as the 2014 Asian Games host in April 2007, 2.5 months before the 2014 Olympic vote, where Pyeongchang narrowly lost to Sochi by 4 votes. Not only was there no peep from the IOC, but Pyeongchang almost won. Or is the Asian Games not considered a major sporting event by the IOC? I know that the events would've been 7-8 months apart unlike with Turkey, but are rules not rules?

I don't think it is written in stone. Rogge is just explaining that this is the IOC's view and since the IOC makes the decision on the host, their opinion matters. Perhaps the Winter Games are enough smaller that they wouldn't care. Or perhaps because there would be more time between Asian Games and Winter Olympics they think it's more feasible. It really doesn't matter because it's not an option for Turkey to do both. I'm surprised they needed Rogge to spell it out for them.

NOW I am confused.

I am thinking the same thing, however they were in different cities. For Euro 2020 Turkish bid to be successful Istanbul is an almost must. This reminds me of the 2015 Women;s World Cup and the 2015 Pan Am Games. PASO refused (and city of Toronto agreed) to allow Toronto to host games.

Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Rio then Baku?? Yeah, okay.

I doubt Baku will win it'd be interesting and maybe not the bottom of the list

The race is getting interesting there's a clear front runner but wonder how many votes other

Cities will get

I don't think it is written in stone. Rogge is just explaining that this is the IOC's view and since the IOC makes the decision on the host, their opinion matters. Perhaps the Winter Games are enough smaller that they wouldn't care. Or perhaps because there would be more time between Asian Games and Winter Olympics they think it's more feasible. It really doesn't matter because it's not an option for Turkey to do both. I'm surprised they needed Rogge to spell it out for them.

So then it wouldn't be a hard rule. Otherwise, someone from the Sochi team would've been smart enough to point that out before the race and win 2014 by default. And if it's not a hard rule, the IOC shouldn't say there is a rule somewhere that prevents Turkey from doing the same today. Unless there's something that says "The IOC reserves the right to refuse double hosting on a case-by-case basis before the actual vote", but that sounds so un-Charter-like. Oh well.

It is a hard rule, it has been apart of the Host City Agreement for sometime now. But its scope is up to interpretation. Primarily that it affects the city itself only, or country as a whole. The narrow interpretation is often used for larger countries that have multiple focal cities. For instance when Canada wasn't told to drop the 2010 Commonwealth Games bid after winning the Olympics in July. Whereas for the European Championships, which would be heavily focused on Istanbul

Archived