The Olympics in your social orbit

I was talking to a co-worker the other day and I joked that I was probably going to have to write it in my will that he is to be given all my Olympic books and things because he is the only person with whom I can have an intelligent Olympic discussion. When it comes to other sports, there is no problem, actually I get a little weary about talking about them all the time. I was just wondering if that is the way it is with everyone else, Are "Olympic" friends few and far between for you (not counting people here on GB, unless you've actually struck up friendships in which you get together and actually share quality time) ?

Actually i have only 3 friends that can talk intresting Olympic disscusions... A classmate (he runs), my grandpa (former professional soccer player) and my mother (she just loves the olympics)!!! :D Since i'm from a country where football is the most important thing, there are few Olympic "talkers", with my father and friends, for example, we only talk about football :S

Since I currently work in a tech company while taking a small break from uni (where I study in CS) its much easier for me to get a hold of someone to talk about StarCraft than about the Olympics. Probably the best person that I have access to for Olympics talk is a blind coworker who is a competitive alpine skiier and as such quite aware of events from winter sports in general.

Nope i don't know anyone which is why i got super excited when i found this place!

I have kind of a friend who's dad is a sports journalist and he knows abit about bidding but i dont talk to him much out of school so yeah.

Everytime i bring it up my family and friends groan. Like i went rome dropped out and noone responded. Or 100 days to olympics no response.

So i'm glad i have this place

I'm 100% geek wherever I go. My main interests are Video Games, local history and folklore, literature and obviously the Olympic Games. All the other stuff is quite easy to mix in the conversation here and there, but when I say "Olympics" people get all "dude, what the hell..." Doomed for life.

This is actually a very good topic. The short answer is no, there is no one I know that has my level of interest in sport in general and the Olympics in particular. I mean I know lots of people that love one sport or another, but I do have my Dad and my best friend who will listen. But people just think I am a huge sports nerd. There was a librarian in elementary school that had the same level of interest but he was kinda creepy.

But I remember in Gr. 7 I woke up early and watched the Olympic Ceremonies for Sydney and when I went to school my teacher and a good dozen or so of my classmates had done the same. So we actually had a class discussion about the ceremonies and then she decided we had to do a social studies assignment on Australia based on an aspect of the Opening Ceremonies. And in Gr. 4 and Gr. 8 during Nagano and SLC we did a month of social studies based on the Olympics and the cultures of Japan and Utah. I have almost 8 file boxes of material from newsources etc. because of the habit that developed.

In general I think a very wide range of people watch and follow the Olympics, but very few follow the bidding, qualification and preperations of the Olympics as much as we do. And it was really my Mom that got me into the Olympics to begin with, I still vividly remember her shooting at the TV when Donovan Bailey won gold.

None of my mates here have the foggiest what Im on about when it comes to the Olympics. Of course, i've got a bunch of them that are fully up with the sports side of it, but I imagine if I happened to mention Baku they would probably favour the option of it being a new kind of kebab rather than a city (let alone one that is bidding for the Olympics).

hahah. Most who know me pretty well know my Olympics passion and don't bat an eyelid these days. I've only got really one mate outside here, however, who's an Olympics fan as much as me - but more in the event itself rather than the four years in-between. My husband also (luckily) loves the games when they're on and watch them avidly with me, but of course can't fathom the fascination with bidding and scoping potential hosts in-between.

It does take a certain type of person to be really excited about the Olympics, in my social circle anyways. Most of my mates only talk about it while its happening and most of them only catch the highlights.

They couldn't care less about the construction of venues, ceremonies or design elements.... which I guess here, is just daily conversation.

This is actually a very good topic. The short answer is no, there is no one I know that has my level of interest in sport in general and the Olympics in particular. I mean I know lots of people that love one sport or another, but I do have my Dad and my best friend who will listen. But people just think I am a huge sports nerd. There was a librarian in elementary school that had the same level of interest but he was kinda creepy.

But I remember in Gr. 7 I woke up early and watched the Olympic Ceremonies for Sydney and when I went to school my teacher and a good dozen or so of my classmates had done the same. So we actually had a class discussion about the ceremonies and then she decided we had to do a social studies assignment on Australia based on an aspect of the Opening Ceremonies. And in Gr. 4 and Gr. 8 during Nagano and SLC we did a month of social studies based on the Olympics and the cultures of Japan and Utah. I have almost 8 file boxes of material from newsources etc. because of the habit that developed.

In general I think a very wide range of people watch and follow the Olympics, but very few follow the bidding, qualification and preperations of the Olympics as much as we do. And it was really my Mom that got me into the Olympics to begin with, I still vividly remember her shooting at the TV when Donovan Bailey won gold.

Wow that's really fascinating wish we did that when the olympics were on but now i doubt my class would do London 2012 unfortunately but would've been fascinating.

My good friend / roommate is a journalism student so he does have an interest in hearing about big events like the Games in the four years in-between. I can talk to him casually about bidding, future hosts, preparation, etc.

Other than him, I'm not sure who else would care enough to listen or hold a conversation. Though I could probably get away with throwing in the Games in a conversation through talking say urban redevelopment or the cultural aspects of it all with friends who have interests in those things in general.

Looking back, I was in 3rd grade when Sydney hosted (8 years old at the time) and I was in a program at school for "encirched" learning. In the week leading up those Games, the topic we learned about in the program was the Olympic movement. I was the only kid who knew that the Games started that Friday when the teacher prompted the question at the beginning of the week, but I really don't remember having that much of an interest beforehand. Anyway, that week of learning about the Games made me want to watch the Opening Ceremony at the end of the week. I watched that ceremony on NBC tape delay and that's when I would say my true interest started.

*enriched

hahah. Most who know me pretty well know my Olympics passion and don't bat an eyelid these days. I've only got really one mate outside here, however, who's an Olympics fan as much as me - but more in the event itself rather than the four years in-between. My husband also (luckily) loves the games when they're on and watch them avidly with me, but of course can't fathom the fascination with bidding and scoping potential hosts in-between.

Teehee, I'm pretty much known as the Olympics geek everywhere I know. And every once in a while I remind people of it when the conversation leads me to it. And then they rool their eyes and move on with their lives :P

My boyfriend hates watching sports, unfortunetly. But then again, I hate hearing about biology, so it works out O.o

as most of you im just the Olympic geek and get the odd question now and then . The wife has a little interst in bidding cities but that is more to know where we could be going on holidays in 7 years time rather than any real intrest in olympic bids. Unfortunately Rio is becoming a hard sell so looks like it’s a comm games in 2014 Europe is much easier sell.

Where I live, everyone's an Olympic fan every 2 years, but I haven't mentioned the Olympics to anyone outside these forums since Pyeongchang won the vote last July, and it'll probably stay that way until the London Games.

Like virtually everyone else on here, anyone I talk to about the Olympics besides these boards (at least with the bidding process & so forth), I get sarcasm. I'll mention who is bidding, for example, & I get "yippe, can't wait for the outcome" as a response.

I think like most have said, in general. most people like to follow the Olympics when they're on. Like their favorite athletes, teams, countries & what have you, but when it comes right down to the nitty-gritty of the inner-poltiics involved with the IOC, most could give two-hoots about that. I think we're the only nerds here on these boards that really get into it all.

When it comes to the Olympics, I am a major fan, despite the many frustrations that I have with it (NBC's coverage and the China/Russia/USA triumvirate of dominance, for starters). However, I am the only person in my family and in my social orbit who gives a flying fig about the Olympics, both Winter and Summer. It's the only sporting event that I "live" for. I've watched every Olympics from beginning to end since the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona. I do find it frustrating at times that I can't readily share my love for the Olympics with people that I know.

Archived