Brisbane Olympics?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine in Melbourne knows of an official bid which Baillieu will make public in coming months.

Where are they going to hold it?

MCG is the only viable option, but the cost to put in a track is extreme for a 1 week event

Could hold it in the 2nd week of October after the AFL Grand Final if they do what they did with the Commonwealth Games is put the track in before and bury it for 6 months, but even then for the Comm Games the MCG needed to be reconfigured with some seating removed to fit it in

Don't think they could fit a track inside Etihad?

Unless they are planning to do something with the Smurf Turf Stadium at Albert Park? IAAF says the stadium must be a minimum of 30000 covered seats to host

IDK, even getting the IAAF champs for 2019 would be too soon to have much bearing on any future winnable Oz Oly bid IMO.

That said, it would be good for ANY Oz city to bid for the IAAF champs - probably that and the FIFA WC would be our best chances for a big event in the next few decades.

They seem like excuses. I remember Australian athletes pulling out of Manchester 2002 citing similar concerns - and that was held in July. Ultimately Pan Ams and CWG's are second tier and some athletes consider it non-vital to attend.

The IAAF World Champs would hold far more appeal and prestige for the athletes concerned.

We tried 2022 world cup and failed dismally however that may be because of Qatar's bribary. We got 1 vote.

I think we should go for championships in each sport. Such as IAAF (We could beat Doha) World Aquatic championships, World artistic gymnastics (Brisbane hosted it in 1994) Fiba definitely.

The question is, if Brisbane DOES end up bidding for 2024 or 2028 at the earliest, will it include venues in the Gold Coast as part of it's bid?

It can easily use the following Gold Coast Venues:

EXISTING:

Robina Stadium - Rugby 7's Preliminaries or Football Preliminaries - 27,400

Carrara Stadium - Football Preliminaries or the whole of Modern Pentathlon with the addition of a permanent pool nearby - 25,000

Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre - (an indoor sport) - 5,269 and Basketball Preliminaries at it's exhibition hall - 6,000 - 8,000

Surfer's Paradise - Triathlon and Marathon Swimming

Gold Coast Aquatic Centre - Synchronised Swimming, Waterpolo Preliminaries - 10,000

Hinze Dam - Mountain Bike - 2,500

NEW

Hinze Dam - BMX - 5,000

Hinze Dam - Canoe/Kayak Slalom - 6,000

TEMPORARY

Surfer's Paradise or Carrara - Beach Volleyball - 10,000

Otherwise, just make the bid centred on Brisbane, using the wealth of existing venues within and just outside city limits, even if they are not ideally close and in clusters.

• 2 weeks later...

If they consider a 2040's bid start looking in 2028

Realistically Australia will wait until 2040 - and so we should. We've done very well out of 1956 and 2000. I think Australia could only really start to bid again in in 2032 - and that is a huge stretch. I think 2040 could work well for Australia. It's a nice even number, 40 years after Sydney 2000.

The problem Brisbane might face, is that despite Melbourne and Sydney being previous hosts, and Brisbane's growth, these former two still have far bigger international presence in sport, and 1956 would be too far distant history to really impact Melbourne; and even more worrying for Brisbane is Sydney. I think Sydney could quite fairly put a case forward for Australian rights to a 2040 bid. Sydney is an iconic Olympic city. A 2040 Olympic bid could coincide with a refurbishment of Olympic Park at Homebush. Brisbane shouldn't be so expectant, nor should it waste its money and become Australia's Madrid.

I personally believe that the next Australian host of the Olympic Games will either be Melbourne or Sydney. Brisbane is quite simply not sufficiently well-known outside of Australia to make the case against the types of Candidate Cities that will be coming up. Melbourne is known worldwide for the MCC, the Australian Open, the Melbourne Cup and the F1 race. It clearly has a consistently strong sporting tradition and Olympic pedigree with its hosting in 1956.

Melbourne Airport is the second-busiest in Australia, with several corporations headquartered there and already possessing an excellent transport infrastructure...

Brisbane should focus on its development in the decades ahead, and leave the Olympic Games to Melbourne (at least if Australia wishes to mount an electable bid for the Olympic Games around the 2040s).

The fly in the ointment is the IOC's new "window" for SOG hosting - the mandated July to September period. It really puts Melbourne at a huge disadvantage - it really is bloody cold in those months. Sydney (as we managed in 2000) was only really possible at the very tail end of that period.

Now, I know a lot of members here think the IOC would need to be flexible in such cases, but they really carved it in stone when they weren't flexible with Doha's proposed dates.

And it's also the reason Coates is publically talking up Brisbane as Oz's next host - he says that climate-wise, it's our only real possible candidate now in that scheduling window. Now, he may be just saying that as a bit of political posturing to make sure the IOC realises the restrictions it's now placed on such cities as Sydney, Melbourne, Capetown or Buenos Aires, but we've got to accept such scheduling as a given now, IMO, until it's tested and the IOC says otherwise.

Realistically Australia will wait until 2040 - and so we should. We've done very well out of 1956 and 2000. I think Australia could only really start to bid again in in 2032 - and that is a huge stretch. I think 2040 could work well for Australia. It's a nice even number, 40 years after Sydney 2000.

The problem Brisbane might face, is that despite Melbourne and Sydney being previous hosts, and Brisbane's growth, these former two still have far bigger international presence in sport, and 1956 would be too far distant history to really impact Melbourne; and even more worrying for Brisbane is Sydney. I think Sydney could quite fairly put a case forward for Australian rights to a 2040 bid. Sydney is an iconic Olympic city. A 2040 Olympic bid could coincide with a refurbishment of Olympic Park at Homebush. Brisbane shouldn't be so expectant, nor should it waste its money and become Australia's Madrid.

I can in no way see Sydney landing a games twice in 40 years when it took London 60 odd years. Taken Paris about 100 years. I agree as said Melbourne is a huge threat however as Rols has said the weather problem in Melbourne may learn in Brisbanes favour. However Brisbane will in no way win the bid on the first chance and we are definitely not like Turkey or Qatar who can bid 5 times in a row. (Seeing as we did 1992, 1996 then 2000). If brisbane loses the first bid Melbourne will be given a shot and if they lose then maybe even Sydney. In no way is Brisbane being expectant, this is simply a thread for me wanting a home olympics. They're have been talks by our AOC president our premier our lord mayor about our bid however it is a while away

I don't think they should Gold Coast for anything besides being a soccer venue.

Which will most likely be Robina Stadium. It's unlikely that they will go regional only, but if that's the case, Gold Coast and Townsville will host football preliminaries alongside Brisbane's 2 or even 3 venues. Gold Coast could serve 2, but i'd opt for 1. That being said, the traditional Eastern Coast football preliminaries venues is a better option. Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne, alongside Townsville and Gold Coast, with Brisbane hosting the finals.

WHEN we do decide to bid for an Olympics again, it's a matter of sporting tradition and readiness over excellent weather and suitability to host in season. I'd love to see Melbourne bid again, but will be more than pleased if Brisbane comes up with a reasonably good bid.

Where are they going to hold it?

MCG is the only viable option, but the cost to put in a track is extreme for a 1 week event

Could hold it in the 2nd week of October after the AFL Grand Final if they do what they did with the Commonwealth Games is put the track in before and bury it for 6 months, but even then for the Comm Games the MCG needed to be reconfigured with some seating removed to fit it in

Don't think they could fit a track inside Etihad?

Unless they are planning to do something with the Smurf Turf Stadium at Albert Park? IAAF says the stadium must be a minimum of 30000 covered seats to host

If Melbourne does host it will be held in October after the AFL season, or before it in March, like the Commonwealth Games.

I'm not sure if the quick layout of an athletics track is possible considering the fact that the field of the MCG is grass over dirt and not concrete. Not to mention that the 3,000 ground level seats need to be removed and the temporary athletics "scoreboards" would need to be installed at the upper level. If the Grand Final ends at the end of September, is 1 or 2 weeks enough to do all these alterations? Or will the MCG be forced to be less than 3,000 seats in that season, with the other temporary works done in the short 2 weeks prior to the athletics championships.

It didn't take London over 60 years to land the games again simply because between 1948 and 2012, they only put in one bid. And they won it...in the wake of three failed British bids from smaller, lesser known cities (Birmingham 1992, Manchester 1996 and 2000). Is there a lesson here?

Timing, appeal, narrative, stature, commitment, experience, legacy, prestige, trust, ability, infrastructure, leadership. These all have an impact on winning a bid.

Archived