Sign in to follow this  
olympian

2012-13 ISU Figure Skating Season

i think the Canadians fell victim to the skate order. Duhamel and Radford skated first in the final flight and the Germans and Russians skated after them. Moore-Towers and Moscovitch as they say was also pretty good. I haven't watched it yet but despite reports D/R skated not the lose, people said they deserved silver instead of bronze.

The Russians broke the WR as well.

Told you they are going to make a great showing in Pairs (which has always been their forte) and maybe grab the bronze in Dance.

i think the Canadians fell victim to the skate order. Duhamel and Radford skated first in the final flight and the Germans and Russians skated after them. Moore-Towers and Moscovitch as they say was also pretty good. I haven't watched it yet but despite reports D/R skated not the lose, people said they deserved silver instead of bronze.

well, remember this is being held in Canada, so naturally, they may have that slight advantage which maybe the judges overlooked this time.

Told you they are going to make a great showing in Pairs (which has always been their forte) and maybe grab the bronze in Dance.

well, remember this is being held in Canada, so naturally, they may have that slight advantage which maybe the judges overlooked this time.

>>> skating first no matter which flight you are is the least desirable spot. the judges tends to hold back.

CAN 3

JPN 3

KAZ 2

ESP 2

USA 2

FRA 2

CZE 2

GER 1

CHN 1

UZB 1

RUS 1

SWE 1

BEL 1

AUT 1

EST 1

Are quotas for SOCHI

GOLD:Patrick Chan (CANADA)
SILVER: Denis Ten (KAZAKHSTAN)

BRONZE: Javier Fernandez (SPAIN)

Edited by intoronto

Pretty sure Czech Republic has two quotas and Ukraine has none.

Yes my bad.

Did I mention I think the qualification system is dumb?

Did I mention I think the qualification system is dumb?

LOL yes you did.

Looking at the rest figure skating is likely to have its lowest amount of countries competing ever.

How does the Czech Republic have 2, their score is 31. I thought you had to use both skaters to get your score instead of just using the most favourable criteria like in years past?

Edited by faster

How does the Czech Republic have 2, their score is 31. I thought you had to use both skaters to get your score instead of just using the most favourable criteria like in years past?

Because ISU has new rule. If you qualify for free skate the max you can score is 16th. So 16+10 = 26 enough to qualify 2.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-206192-223415-177357-0-file,00.pdf

Section 378

Kazakhstan is also going to qualify 2 despite their second skater not making the free skate. For them to get 3, both Kazakh skaters need to have a combined placement of 13. For the Czech Republic, with Brezina placing in the top 10, it assured the Czechs of 2 males sakters on Sochi.

After 2 events Canada has the most qualified for Sochi at 9 the maximum. Russia is second with 7.

@Olympian read my post above yours.

Because, and I am sounding like a broken record now, the qualification system is stupid.

There is a maximum number of points you can get if you make the long program (16) or show up at all and fail to make the long program - even if you DNS (18). The one thing that Intoronto got wrong is that this isn't a new rule, and it had an effect in qualification for 2010 (allowed the UK to have two Ice Dance teams).

IMO no way Kazakhastan or Spain deserves two skaters, and the Czech Republic is borderline. But oh well.

Edited by Fox334

question is, with Russia only qualifying one male skater, will Plushenko still compete? Or will they let someone else take that spot? Had Kovtun placed in the top 12 he would've qualified 2 for Russia.

Spain won't use the second. So doesn't matter.

they sent 2 at europeans. the other skater is Javier Raya.

question is, with Russia only qualifying one male skater, will Plushenko still compete? Or will they let someone else take that spot? Had Kovtun placed in the top 12 he would've qualified 2 for Russia.

Oh, like Joubert who should already retire, I think it would be doubly embarrassing for Plushenko to win outside the medals and then he will issue some sour-loser remarks again after. Not cool. It's better that he watch the competition holding hands with Johnny Weir and Joubert. They should just work as commentators.

If one of the countries in 3 or 2 qualifying positions in the women;s singles loses a quota Brazil will qualify for the first time ever.