2012-13 ISU Figure Skating Season

Does Dallas have a good indoor arena? Maybe Dallas?

Anyway, Davis & White win the US Ice Dance title again; followed by (2) Madison chock-Even Bates (I LOVED their Dr. Zhivago free dance. MAGICAL!!) and (3) the Shibutanis dancing to the soundtrack of "Memoirs of a Geisha." Too bad team #4 - Madison Hubbell and the Zachary fellow came in 4th because I also LOVED their flamenco; I think one of the best flamenco numbers I have seen in competition ever.) But then they're the alternate team. Good luck to the US ice dancers!

(Interesting note: of the top 5 ice dance couples, 3 of the ladies are of Asian descent.)

Dallas has the American Airlines Arena.

It likely will have to be a city without an NHL or NBA franchise.

Why will it be a city without an NHL or NBA franchise? ISU requires the stadium to have a capacity of at least 8000 for Worlds. Colorado Springs' World Arena has less than 8000. Unless they go for Tulsa with the BOK Centre.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

european-figure-skating-championship.jpg

Results

Men

1. Javier Fernandez, Spain

2. Florent Amodio, France

3. Michal Brezina, Czech Republic

Ladies

1. Carolina Kostner, Italy

2. Adeline Sotnikova, Russia

3. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Russia

Pairs

1. Tatiana Volosozhar.Maxim Trankov, Russia

2. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy, Germany

3. Stefania Berton/Ondrej Hotarek, Italy

Ice Dance

1. Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev, Russia

2. Elena Ilinykh/Nikita Katsalapov, Russia

3. Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte, Italy

>>>> Defending champions Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat withdrew from the competition because of injuries leaving the pairs field wide open.

U mean ice dance for the French pair withdrawing.

Also I said no NHL/NBA because during the time there will games, but surely something can be worked out if needed.

that's supposed to be ice dancing.

re: no NHL/NBA, that's fixed in advance that's why Worlds are awarded several years before the actual event. Staples Center hosted Worlds in 2009, Rogers Arena (GM Place then) hosted Worlds in 2001. So scheduling shouldn't be a problem since whoever is put forward has already established a venue partnership. ISU just released an RFP for numerous 2016 ISU Championships and 2016 Worlds will be held from 28 March - 03 April.

that's supposed to be ice dancing.

re: no NHL/NBA, that's fixed in advance that's why Worlds are awarded several years before the actual event. Staples Center hosted Worlds in 2009, Rogers Arena (GM Place then) hosted Worlds in 2001. So scheduling shouldn't be a problem since whoever is put forward has already established a venue partnership. ISU just released an RFP for numerous 2016 ISU Championships and 2016 Worlds will be held from 28 March - 03 April.

Toronto was floated as a host for 2013 but Skate Canada went with London.

Toronto was floated as a host for 2013 but Skate Canada went with London.

I know Winnipeg lobbied hard for 2013. Vancouver was a candidate city for the re-assigned 2011 Worlds but Skate Canada knew they won't win but they had to forward a candidate city as a sign of support. I would've been held at Pacific Coliseum but Moscow was the logical bet as Russia made it easier for athletes to secure a visa since Moscow had to organize it on such a short notice. I wonder who'll be the next Canadian Worlds host? If Quebec City Amphitheater is already finish maybe Quebec City will be the next one to host Worlds for Canada.

I know Winnipeg lobbied hard for 2013. Vancouver was a candidate city for the re-assigned 2011 Worlds but Skate Canada knew they won't win but they had to forward a candidate city as a sign of support. I would've been held at Pacific Coliseum but Moscow was the logical bet as Russia made it easier for athletes to secure a visa since Moscow had to organize it on such a short notice. I wonder who'll be the next Canadian Worlds host? If Quebec City Amphitheater is already finish maybe Quebec City will be the next one to host Worlds for Canada.

2015 is when its completed so for sure it will be a fav.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully he has a good finish in London and can secure Canada a third men's spot in Sochi.

I rarely watch Figure Skating so I'm not sure how the qualifying works? I'm assuming if one nation finishes in the Top 10 at the World Championships before the Olympics qualifies their country two spots? If two from the same country finish Top 10 then they've qualified a 3rd spot? Is this correct?

I rarely watch Figure Skating so I'm not sure how the qualifying works? I'm assuming if one nation finishes in the Top 10 at the World Championships before the Olympics qualifies their country two spots? If two from the same country finish Top 10 then they've qualified a 3rd spot? Is this correct?

Nope.

If a country has 1 athletes at the WC then it needs that athlete to finish in the top 2 to get 3 spots for the Olympics. If its 2 or 3 athletes the combined placement has to be 13 or less.

for a country to send 3 skaters/team; 2 of the 3 must have a combined placement of no higher than 13 if i remember.

eg: 2012 Worlds, Chan was first and Reynold 12 = 13 = 3 men's skaters for Canada in London.

If a country is only sending one skater/team, that skater/team must finish in the top 10 to secure a 2nd spot.

Nope.

If a country has 1 athletes at the WC then it needs that athlete to finish in the top 2 to get 3 spots for the Olympics. If its 2 or 3 athletes the combined placement has to be 13 or less.

If a country is only sending 1 athlete/team, they can only send 2 even if they finish in the top 3. the old qualification was if your country made the podium, you have 3 spots automatic.

bnr_g.jpg

Results

Men

1. Kevin Reynolds, Canada

2. Yuzuru Hanyu, Japan

3. Han Yan, China

>>> Reynolds comes from behind after a sixth place finish in the short program

Ladies

1. Mao Asada, Japan

2. Akiko Suzuki, Japan

3. Kanako Murakami, Japan

Pairs

1. Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford, Canada

2. Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch, Canada

3. Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir, USA

Ice Dance

1. Meryl Davies/Charlie White, USA

2. Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir, Canada

3. Madison Chock/Evan Bates, USA

Up next: World Juniors in Milan

Not a single Russian winner? What are the 4 continents they count (No, So America, Asia & Oceania)? Is this the competition where they exclude Europe?

Funny too, from those results show that the US is fading from the Singles Competition, while the Pairs & Ice Dancers are moving up -- thanks to Russian coaching. The 2nd US dance team, Chock & Bates, are REALLY good too. I just loved their DR. ZHIVAGO routine and the incredible height advantage of the guy, Evan Bates, over Madison, really helps them.

Precisely. This is for all countries not in Europe who have the European championships.

Got it. I always wondered about that; and now it makes sense so that the Euros don't have an extra competition going into the Worlds & Olys. Thus, they give the rest of the world ANOTHER competition to even out the tiredness & sharpness factors -- altho the FC is more strenuous for the participants because they have to travel many more time zones (maybe 7 or 8) than the Europeans who probably have to cross only 2 or 3 time zones to get to the competition site. It's so Machiavellian.

• 3 weeks later...

JR-Worlds_logo-1.gif

World Junior Figure Skating Championships Results

Junior Men

1. Joshua Farris, USA

2. Jason Brown, USA

3. Shotaro Omori, USA

Junior Ladies

1. Elena Radionova, Russia

2. Julia Lipnitskaia, Russia

3. Anna Pogorilaya, Russia

Junior Pairs

1. Hayden Denney/Brandon Frazier, USA

2. Margaret Purdy/Michael Marinaro, Canada

3. Lina Federova/Maxim Miroshkin, Russia

Junior Ice Dance

1. Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin, Russia

2. Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron, France

3. Alexandra Aldridge/Daniel Eaton, USA

Up next: the big one, World Figure Skating Championships in London, Ontario, Canada

The big one! World Figure Skating Championships

WFSC1.jpg

Budweiser Gardens

London, Ontario, Canada

11 - 17 March 2013

Archived