2012-13 ISU Figure Skating Season

Competition format is that you need 3 of 4 disciplines so Korea wouldn't qualify. The first round has all of them participating and then the top 5 go to the next round and finish it off.

Qualifying is based on a ranking of all European, FC. world cups, World championships. The top 10 will qualify adding up the results from those.

Only 10 new quota are being added for the team event. So the 10 countries who qualify are allowed to enter into another single athlete/pair/ice dance combo if they didn't qualify for their respective event (though they need to meet minimum standards).

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R they using the same athletes for the "Team event'? If so, then everyone has to learn an additional TEAM routine, AND their individual discipline routine already? I mean how will the skaters and coaches react to this? Isn't it difficult enough just to master your own Short and Long Programs??

What is the format, I've tried to find it before but couldn't.

South Korea? Where is their man, pairs and dance team?

Ten teams compete in the short program. A skater/pair from each country skates. They get 10 points for first place to 1 point for 10th place.

The top five teams after the sort programs compete in te long program. 1st place in a long prpgram segment takea 10 points, 5th place gets 6 points.

Essentially, after the short program the die will be more or less cast.

R they using the same athletes for the "Team event'? If so, then everyone has to learn an additional TEAM routine, AND their individual discipline routine already? I mean how will the skaters and coaches react to this? Isn't it difficult enough just to master your own Short and Long Programs??

They will skate the same routine for the team and individual events.

So that means the Russian's are going to be handicapped by their man.

If Osmund progresses another notch or two, Canada could win this in a laugher. The Russians don't have a man, the Americans a pair, the Chinese a dance team, the French a woman.

It's just so odd. That will also mean, enlarging the "judges" pool. And then they still have to do the Skaters' Gala on the Closing night of the Games + be part of the Closing ceremony (as I think the Sochi organizers will want them to be). Has the ISU thought this thru?

What if there are injuries or sickness? WiIl the 'alternates' step in?

Exactly makes no sense whatsoever lol.

Why skate the same thing twice for two different medals?

Based on recents from the World Championships (not completely accurate I'm sure)

Gold - Canada

Silver - Russia

Bronze - USA

4th - France

5th - Italy

6th - Germany

Japan won the last WC at 55 points, USA 53 Canada 42

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_ISU_World_Team_Trophy_in_Figure_Skating

FROM THE ISU:

Following the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2013, the following six teams are qualified for the ISU World Team Trophy 2013 in Tokyo / Japan, April 11 to 14:

Rank

Nation

CAN - Canada

USA - United States of America

JPN - Japan

RUS - Russia

FRA - France

CHN - China

Standings for Sochi:

MbCm5AO.png

By my count, this is what the team trophy would look like based on the results of the 2013 worlds. I picked The top 9 countries plus Ukraine. I gave Japan, Ukraine and Spain a 3 point on the pairs short. I might have made a few small mistakes, but it should be close.

Men's short
Canada 10
Japan 9
France 8
Spain 7
USA 6
China 5
Germany 4
Russia 3
Ukraine 2
Italy 1

Women's short
Italy 10
Japan 9
Canada 8
USA 7
Russia 6
France 5
China 4
Spain 3
Ukraine 2
Germany 1

Pairs' short
Russia 10
Canada 9
Germany 8
China 7
France 6
USA 5
Italy 4
Spain - Ukraine - Japan: 3

Short dance
USA 10
Canada 9
Russia 8
France 7
Italy 6
Germany 5
Ukraine 4
Japan 3
Spain 2
China 1

Short:
Canada 36 Q
USA 28 Q
Russia 27 Q
France 26 Q
Japan 23 Q
-----
Italy 21
Germany 18
China 17
Spain 15
Ukraine 11

Men's long
Canada 10
Japan 9
USA 8
France 7
Russia 6

Women's long
Japan 10
USA 9
Russia 8
Canada 7
France 6

Pairs' long
Russia 10
Canada 9
France 8
USA 7
Japan 6

Free Dance
USA 10
Canada 9
Russia 8
France 7
Japan 6

Long
Canada 35
USA 34
Russia 32
Japan 31
France 28

Total
Canada 71
USA 62
Russia 59
France 54
Japan 54
Italy 21
Germany 18
China 17
Spain 15
Ukraine 11

With this scenario, Canada would win the gold medal before the final segment.

R u kidding me? They are going to go into all this ridiculous, complicated math, just to award another medal? It really seems absurd and superfluous.

That would be because it kind of is.

OK. So it's a 4-day event in Tokyo. How will they condense that into ONE event in Sochi? As it is, they already will start the Men's Short program the day before Opening? And as I said, not unless they are removing the Skater's Gala, there will also be that. Or will it simply be awarding a "Team" medal and then proceed with the Skaters' Gala, as is traditional in past WOGs? So, they're sort of copying the "Team" competition in Gymnastics then.

OK. So it's a 4-day event in Tokyo. How will they condense that into ONE event in Sochi? As it is, they already will start the Men's Short program the day before Opening? And as I said, not unless they are removing the Skater's Gala, there will also be that. Or will it simply be awarding a "Team" medal and then proceed with the Skaters' Gala, as is traditional in past WOGs? So, they're sort of copying the "Team" competition in Gymnastics then.

The team event will run over three days. The men's short and pairs short portions of the team event will be the day before opening ceremonies. The dance and women's short, along with the pairs long, will be on day one. The men's, women's and dance long program will be on the second day of the game. THEN they will have the individual events. The gala will be on the next to last day of the games.

Schedule can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics

The team event will run over three days. The men's short and pairs short portions of the team event will be the day before opening ceremonies. The dance and women's short, along with the pairs long, will be on day one. The men's, women's and dance long program will be on the second day of the game. THEN they will have the individual events. The gala will be on the next to last day of the games.

Schedule can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics

Oh, so they've totally changed the sked now for Sochi. And I noticed that the short programs for the trad 4 disciplines are going to be just the day before. The pairs will have the least rest time between their final team event and their Short program day -- just one day. I wonder how the team event will enhance or diminish the quality of the skating in the later days.

But the big question in mind is: will the Team events be like the Synchronized team events...except they are mixed doubles...in that all will be performing to synchronized performances? So the skaters will really have to arrive early in Sochi so they can at least get a day or 2 of practice for the team events??

Oh, so they've totally changed the sked now for Sochi. And I noticed that the short programs for the trad 4 disciplines are going to be just the day before. The pairs will have the least rest time between their final team event and their Short program day -- just one day. I wonder how the team event will enhance or diminish the quality of the skating in the later days.

But the big question in mind is: will the Team events be like the Synchronized team events...except they are mixed doubles...in that all will be performing to synchronized performances? So the skaters will really have to arrive early in Sochi so they can at least get a day or 2 of practice for the team events??

No no no, everyone will skate their own programs alone, and it will be the same program as the normal events.

As for the pairs, I feel a lot of teams will swap out their pairs team between the short and long program. Any team that has two or more pairs team can do that if they wish to do so (they can do substitutions in two events between the short and long).

Teams that only have zero or one athlete qualified for an individual event can bring a substitute for the team event only, however they will only be accredited if the titular athlete is injured. This is a common provision in many sports.

/\/\ From a TV point of view, it all seems redundant. Or would the networks just do condensed coverage of the Team event so as NOT to give away the prized LONG programs in the individual disciplines?

I doubt it. Its all but a guaranteed medal for the US and by far their best shot outside of ice dance so I don't see NBC ignoring it.

I doubt it. Its all but a guaranteed medal for the US and by far their best shot outside of ice dance so I don't see NBC ignoring it.

But if it's the same routines, then who will want to watch the individual discipline nights WHEN it (NBC) normally get its highest audience numbers and can deliver those figures it promised its advertisers. See what I mean?

ISU Grand Prix schedules for 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 season(s)

Season 2013/14:
October 18 – 20, 2013 USA – city to be announced
October 25 – 27, 2013 St. John, Canada
November 1 – 3, 2013 Beijing, China
November 8 – 10, 2013 Tokyo, Japan
November 15 – 17, 2013 Paris, France
November 22 – 24, 2013 Moscow, Russia
December 5 – 8, 2013 Final – Fukuoka, Japan
Season 2014/15 (all host cities to be announced):
October 24 – 26, 2014 USA
October 31 – November 2, 2014 Canada
November 7 – 9, 2014 China
November 14 – 16, 2014 France
November 21 – 23, 2014 Russia
November 28 – 30, 2014 Japan
December 11 – 14, 2014 Final (host city not yet determined)

Updated 2013-14 ISU Grand Prix Schedule

Season 2013/14:
October 18 – 20, 2013 Detroit, MI, USA
October 25 – 27, 2013 Saint John, NB, Canada
November 1 – 3, 2013 Beijing, China
November 8 – 10, 2013 Tokyo, Japan
November 15 – 17, 2013 Paris, France
November 22 – 24, 2013 Moscow, Russia
December 5 – 8, 2013 Final – Fukuoka, Japan

Archived