2012-13 ISU Figure Skating Season

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/\/\/\ - 4 bronzes & one Gold for the US -- not bad. Only 1 silver for Canada.

But at least 1 Canadian skater/team managed to land on the podium at all grand prix events. while the US were shut out at Skate Canada and Cup of China.

evt_header.jpg

Results

Men

1. Daisuke Takahashi, Japan

2. Yuzuru Hanyu, Japan

3. Patrick Chan, Canada

Ladies

1. Mao Asada, Japan

2. Ashley Wagner, USA

3. Akiko Suzuki, Japan

Pairs

1. Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov, Russia

2. Vera Bazarova/Yuri Larionov, Russia

3. Qing Pang/Jian Tong, China

Ice Dance

1. Meryl Davis/Charlie White, USA

2. Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir, Canada

3. Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat, France

Next stop: Zagreb for Euros

/\/\ The Russians are back in force in pairs. Am disappointed that Javier Fernandez did not win. Maybe he'll do better in Worlds. The US-Canadian rivalry in Ice Dancing goes on. They just keep alternating them. So maybe DW wins Worlds this year; the Olympics next year. And VM win Grand Prix & next year's (2014) Worlds.

Next year is 2013 not 2014.

FGS, how pedantic can u get? By year, one means the figure-skating season which means the 2012-2013 WINTER season. That is one year's worth of figure skating competition. It crosses over the calendar year,but people refer to it as within 'the same year.' When the athletes go into training and hope to peak by the major competition, they generally refer to ...training and peaking for the year...meaning the COMPETITION SEASON. Sheesh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

scores at national championships tends to be inflated. we'll see how she scores at worlds if she wins nationals.

Off course. Regardless and achievement. Hoepfully she qualifies and finishes in the top 10 in front of a home crowd qualifying 2 women for Sochi.

What's worrying for Canada is the possible absence of Poje/Weaver at London Worlds. Weaver injured her fibula a few back and had undergone surgery. Worlds is being held rather early this year than it usual 3rd/last week of March time frame.

meaning, qualifying a third ice dance teams maybe an obstacle for Canada since the 2nd ice dance team cannot finish any lower than 10th to be on the safe side.

What's worrying for Canada is the possible absence of Poje/Weaver at London Worlds. Weaver injured her fibula a few back and had undergone surgery. Worlds is being held rather early this year than it usual 3rd/last week of March time frame.

meaning, qualifying a third ice dance teams maybe an obstacle for Canada since the 2nd ice dance team cannot finish any lower than 10th to be on the safe side.

In the end I predict 2 men 2 women 2 pairs and 3 ice dance for Canada

If Patrick wins in London and Reynolds finish no lower than 11th, Canada gets 3 spot. 2 for the pairs is perhaps the best shot unless both Duhamel/Radford and Moores-Towers/Moscovitch finish say 5 and 6 which will give Canada 3 spots.

If Patrick wins in London and Reynolds finish no lower than 11th, Canada gets 3 spot. 2 for the pairs is perhaps the best shot unless both Duhamel/Radford and Moores-Towers/Moscovitch finish say 5 and 6 which will give Canada 3 spots.

tbh I am not open to 3 spots per country. It should be max of 2, giving more countries to partake. The numbers have been declining since 1998.

Looks like US is targeting 2016 Worlds. I would've expected them to go after 2017 since that is an Olympic qualifier. US Figure Skating sent out an RFP late last year to member organizations seeking to become local host partner. Here's the RFP:

http://www.usfsa.org/content/events/201516/2016%20World%20Figure%20Skating%20Championships/2016%20ISU%20World%20Championships%20RFP.pdf

Looks like US is targeting 2016 Worlds. I would've expected them to go after 2017 since that is an Olympic qualifier. US Figure Skating sent out an RFP late last year to member organizations seeking to become local host partner. Here's the RFP:

http://www.usfsa.org/content/events/201516/2016%20World%20Figure%20Skating%20Championships/2016%20ISU%20World%20Championships%20RFP.pdf

Maybe 2016 is just a starting point, allowing to move into 2017 if circumstances warrant it?? Plus, the event in 2016 is probably assured of a good contract from NBC because they will use it as a lead-in for the Rio coverage. Whereas, nobody would care for a Worlds in 2017.

European figure skaters are in Zagreb right now.

european-figure-skating-championship.jpg

While the Americans are competing for their spots in Omaha at US Nationals.

114392a.jpg

In Zagreb, Spain's Javier Fernandez is currently in the lead with 6 skaters to go in the short program by a whopping 13.98 points over current second placer Evgeni Plushenko of Russia

Maybe 2016 is just a starting point, allowing to move into 2017 if circumstances warrant it?? Plus, the event in 2016 is probably assured of a good contract from NBC because they will use it as a lead-in for the Rio coverage. Whereas, nobody would care for a Worlds in 2017.

We'll see how it develops. I wonder which US cities will be interested? Boston, Denver, St. Paul?? The east coast had it in 2003 in DC while the west hosted it in 2009 in LA. Minneapolis hosted it in 1998. We'll know in a few weeks who US Figure Skating selects.. Ironically the 2 Asian Winter Olympic hosting were preceded by Worlds held in European cities beginning with the letter L. Lyon hosted Worlds the year before Sapporo while Lausanne hosted the year before Nagano.

We'll see how it develops. I wonder which US cities will be interested? Boston, Denver, St. Paul?? The east coast had it in 2003 in DC while the west hosted it in 2009 in LA. Minneapolis hosted it in 1998. We'll know in a few weeks who US Figure Skating selects.. Ironically the 2 Asian Winter Olympic hosting were preceded by Worlds held in European cities beginning with the letter L. Lyon hosted Worlds the year before Sapporo while Lausanne hosted the year before Nagano.

Does Dallas have a good indoor arena? Maybe Dallas?

Anyway, Davis & White win the US Ice Dance title again; followed by (2) Madison chock-Even Bates (I LOVED their Dr. Zhivago free dance. MAGICAL!!) and (3) the Shibutanis dancing to the soundtrack of "Memoirs of a Geisha." Too bad team #4 - Madison Hubbell and the Zachary fellow came in 4th because I also LOVED their flamenco; I think one of the best flamenco numbers I have seen in competition ever.) But then they're the alternate team. Good luck to the US ice dancers!

(Interesting note: of the top 5 ice dance couples, 3 of the ladies are of Asian descent.)

Archived