Bid books

5 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Had the bid happened I'm sure it might have been downsized to be a realistic proposal. Also, there is nothing that says Sydney HAS to build a 110,000 seater stadium..like seriously. 

But they did! So they could never be beaten, not even by Melbourne! :P

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Haha! Those damn Sydneysiders always outsmarting Melbourne.

Yes, Melbourne offered to upgrade the MCG to 103,000 all seated for 1996. It can safely seat around 95,000 now with the Northern Stand built for the 2006 Commonwealth Games. I doubt it can ever be expanded to match Sydney's record or even more. That would require the removal of the roof of the Great Southern Stand and extension of the upper rows, or even a new stand altogether. But that seems unlikely.

For a future Olympics, I think Melbourne will offer it's 95,000 seater capacity like in the 2006 Commonwealth Games. .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently won a set of 1998 Salt Lake City bid books, in fabric bound slipcase, not the elaborate leather bound messenger bag. Unfortunately I am to hear that the slipcase has become damaged during transit and returned to the seller. I got a refund, but this is some bad luck indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Most of the national Olympic committees either disposed of their collections years ago (I know this as a fact as I was able to secure bid books from a few of them), donated them to local universities or are keeping their sets in their archives.  

You can always try emailing them - but forget contacting the IOC - their copies go into the library at HQ.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone get any of the bid books that were on eBay recently? I bought the Rio 2004 and Stockholm 2004 books.

There's been quite a few lately that have sold:

• Athens 2004
  • Stockholm 2004
  • Rio 2004
  • Lillehammer 1994
  • Lillehammer 1992
  • New York 2012
  • Sion 2006
  • Ostersund 1998
  • Brisbane 1992 (In French only)

Unsold:

• Paris 2012
  • Brisbane 1992 (In French only)
  • Klagenfurt 2006 (In German only)
  • Istanbul 2004 (In French only) 

Rio 2004 is quite boring but Stockholm is one of the most beautiful Bid books ever produced (in the sets you bought the appedixes on enviroment are missing).

Klagenfurt, Istanbul are only some summaries. I did buy Östersund 1998 (missing) and Sion (my copy is a mess). Sion is a great Set and I guess also Östersund 1998 will be (their 2002 copies were boring - like all 2002 copies).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You want a bid book, something that's hard to come by, and your parents are going to pay for it?

Do yourself a favour and go and get a reasonably priced luxury watch, that is of course, if they are wiling to pay for it!

I doubt that you can find a good bid book at this time, so go for something that is readily available (and to be enjoyed too) and wait till the occasional bid book pops up on the likes of eBay or abe books or wherever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
8 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

The Atlanta set is nice - did you get the black leather slipcase version?

I believe it is yes. Pics below to clarify. It's not the one from way earlier in the thread with the video cassettes. Did they have a 3rd bid book option? 

4 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Pics?

s-l500.jpgs-l500.jpgs-l500.jpgs-l500.jpgs-l500.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 7:05 PM, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

Not sure if anyone still is on this forum but anyway.

Just received my Atlanta 1996 Bid Books. Very happy to get my hands on them, wonderful copies. 

Anyone bought any new ones of late? 

So you're the sneak that sniped my bid on the last minute! Good for you!