Bid books

I got the Toronto 1996 bid books, but not in that elaborate slipcase, just the simple one. It came with some preliminary bid books too.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other/city-of-toronto/toronto-1996-olympic-bid-book/1100511589

The preliminary files indicated that Exhibition Stadium would have been expanded to 90,000-100,000 for athletics, the Skydome would host ceremonies at 60,000 and York University would be the Athletes' Village using existing and new dormitories. Of course this was changed in the actual bid for a more downtown setting.

Interesting that there is no mention of Canada's Olympic past, bids or whatever. Not even the attempt in 1960, mostly Ontario, Toronto and multicultural-centric.
DSC_3960_zpsv1hnc0po.jpg

DSC_3961_zpsb2uezoyy.jpg

DSC_3962_zpscbqh1egs.jpg

That Beijing one is ridiculous! That's what you'd expect to pay for Beijing 2008 or even 2000. It doesn't even seem to have a slipcase! I'll offer 50 bucks for it. :P

Edited by Lord David
  • Like 1

Man, You beat me to that Toronto 1996 Set! I was seriously considering purchasing that one! Ah well, Congrats :D and yeah, The price for the Beijing Set is ridiculous. I came across a Beijing 2000 Set on a Chinese Site going for 3000 Yuan. I'm super excited, I might be getting my hands on a Tampa 2012 Set soon!!!

Eh. I might go for it. I'm getting tired of reading my Ostersund 1998 Bid Book lol. I was disappointed when I was sent only 1 of the Books, Should ask for Pics of the Books next time I guess. I really want Athens 1996 complete with the Box, Books & Tapes.

Found some really cool stuff on an Auction Website (mossgreen.com) -

Melbourne 1988 Bid Book (I didn't even know this existed until I read something on LA84 which said that Melbourne did prepare a Book that they were going to hand over to the IOC during a trip to Lausanne but the trip never happened) - http://www.mossgreen.com.au/m/lot-details/index/catalog/161/lot/76569/BID-BOOK-nbsp-Invitation-to-celebrate-the-games-of-the-XXIVth-Olympiad-Melbourne-1988-Melbourne-1981-82-pages-in-English-amp-French-Limited-Edition-0174-650

Melbourne 1988 Feasability Study - http://www.mossgreen.com.au/m/lot-details/index/catalog/161/lot/76251/Olympic-Games-Melbourne-1988-Feasability-Study-in-5-Volumes-Melbourne-1978

Brisbane 1992 Bid Book (Looks like they have just the 1 Book which had the Bid Logo on) - http://www.mossgreen.com.au/m/lot-details/index/catalog/161/lot/76252/BID-BOOK-Brisbane-1992-Brisbane-c1988-signed-by-Sallyanne-Atkinson

Melbourne 1996 Bid Book - http://www.mossgreen.com.au/m/lot-details/index/catalog/161/lot/76269/BID-BOOK-Melbourne-1996-Official-submission-to-Host-the-Games-of-the-XVIth-Olympiad-3-Volumes-in-slipcase-Melbourne-1990

I contacted the Site via Email and sadly, All of these have been sold :( At least we get to see what Melbourne's 1988 Book looked like. I wonder what Seoul's and Nagoya's looked like too...

Both Melbourne and Sydney did submit bids to the AOC for 1988.  Sydney actually got approval to proceed (their bid was based out of Homebush in 1988 as well) however the AOC decided not to proceed when federal funding (which was allocated to the expansive bicentennial celebrations and eventually World Expo 88) was not offered for an Olympic bid.

Somewhere or the other in my stash of trinkets, I've got some 1996 Sydney bid memorabilia... and better stuff than shown on that link too.

14 hours ago, Lord David said:

No use getting a Melbourne 1988 bid book, considering we never actually bid. No matter how rare it might be.

By that reasoning, what's the purpose of getting a bid book by a bid that never won or went on to stage a games? Just saying.

• Like 1

I ahve two questions regarding the 2000 Bids:

1.) Was the Beijing 2000 Set really just the three books in the Container?

2.) Did Brasilia ever submit a Bid Book set? I have never seen any Pictures - but they were rated in the Evaluation Commisíon Report.....

last week, I got Milano 2000 - a solid Bid and a technical interesting Bid - but without any chances from the beginning.

Beijing's was 3 Books in a Container (Tominger showed me his set through pictures, I'll upload them in a bit). Brasilia, I believe did not produce an official bid book set but they did produce a photo book or whatever it is I see on the net every now and then.

13 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Somewhere or the other in my stash of trinkets, I've got some 1996 Sydney bid memorabilia... and better stuff than shown on that link too.

By that reasoning, what's the purpose of getting a bid book by a bid that never won or went on to stage a games? Just saying.

Because they were official submissions. If it were a domestic bid book, then fine, but for something that was never approved to be submitted by the government and or NOC, then it's not worth spending the peanuts it's supposedly worth. You're better off spending that money on an official submission.

That aside, I can expect that Melbourne 1988's proposal would be as similar to their 1996 one.

Rather spend a bit more on
197431_0.jpg

than a mere 100 or less on (even if it were completely bilingual)
197407_0.jpg

Just my view on it.

Edited by Lord David

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2016 at 6:57 AM, mr.bernham said:

Highkey though...Sydney should have hosted in 1996.

Sydney should have failed in 1996 and Melbourne hosted in 2000!

A Sydney 1996 bid would have been laughed at with regards to the main stadium. They just built a 45,000 seater football stadium in 1988 and now just a few years after they propose to build an Olympic sized stadium?

3 hours ago, Lord David said:

Sydney should have failed in 1996 and Melbourne hosted in 2000!

A Sydney 1996 bid would have been laughed at with regards to the main stadium. They just built a 45,000 seater football stadium in 1988 and now just a few years after they propose to build an Olympic sized stadium?

45,000 is only...what 20,000 off from the 65,000 required? The vote would have been held in 1990...so only three years from 1993. Not to mention the better time slot, the global recognition, and the pure beauty of the city. I think Sydney could have won it for Australia. 

Melbourne, while a fantastic city, just falls too late into the calendar. I don't want to watch the Summer Olympics in late October-November. September is tolerable. especially in a city as gorgeous as Sydney.

On 8/27/2016 at 0:00 AM, mr.bernham said:

45,000 is only...what 20,000 off from the 65,000 required? The vote would have been held in 1990...so only three years from 1993. Not to mention the better time slot, the global recognition, and the pure beauty of the city. I think Sydney could have won it for Australia. 

Melbourne, while a fantastic city, just falls too late into the calendar. I don't want to watch the Summer Olympics in late October-November. September is tolerable. especially in a city as gorgeous as Sydney.

Sydney had a 110,000 seater stadium for 2000. Sydney proposed a 100,000 seater in their bid. It would have still had its critics, who would question why such a large stadium would be needed considering that they just built a brand new one!

On 8/27/2016 at 10:01 PM, Lord David said:

Sydney had a 110,000 seater stadium for 2000. Sydney proposed a 100,000 seater in their bid. It would have still had its critics, who would question why such a large stadium would be needed considering that they just built a brand new one!

Had the bid happened I'm sure it might have been downsized to be a realistic proposal. Also, there is nothing that says Sydney HAS to build a 110,000 seater stadium..like seriously.