Bid books

Brisbane - I have the venues plan (leather bound) and the questionnaire response book. I don't have the third one sadly. No case. I don't recall ever seeing a case.

Most expensive... hmm. Most were gifts from various bid committees/media outlets however I did pay $240 for Stockholm. Also about $200 for Chicago. Anything above that and you are being ripped off. Their resell value (unless a winning bid) is not that high despite what eBay tries to tell you lol

Worst - well quality wise Rio 2004 is a piece of sh!t. Content wise after the 2002 cycle and the SLC scandal all the bid books became very dull and uniform. Prior to 2002 they came in all sorts of weird shapes and sizes with videos, photo books, weird packaging.... all that is gone. The 2006 ones in particular are dull as dishwater. Helsinki/Poprad Tatry are both awfully dull. At least Sion jazzed it up with lots of red. Things got a bit better by 2008 - Toronto came in an awesome pressed metal slip case etc.

Beijing was in a cool embossed box and came with a bunch of brochures and a pin. Quite nice.

Quebec City is not for sale - none are yet. There was a QC one on German eBay about a year or so ago? Went for EU120/EU140.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy
  • Like 1

Apologies for all the questions, just curious..

Did you get the Brisbane ones through various committees? Also who do I have to sleep with to have friends in the bid committees/media outlets? :wub::lol:

Definitely agree, Toronto is probably my favorite design and has little photos in a small booklet attached.

Brisbane I got through a friend of Sallyanne Atkinson who ran the bid.

I (along with Rols) used to work in the media and thus had a fair bit of contact with various bidders/media outlets attached to bids and attended a number of IOC sessions back in the day. At most IOC meetings the bidders set up large displays and had tons of swag to give away. After the vote is announced most were happy to give away everything so they didn't have to cart it back to Turkey/France/Sweden wherever. I've been offered scale models of venues, banners, etc etc - tons of crap. Thus I have boxes of shirts/poster/brochures etc that I really need to catalog at some point.

I also had some very good contacts with a number of national committees and their respective IOC member/s - sadly most have passed on now. Luckily for me at the time they knew of my interest in bid documents and were happy to off load the ones they had no interest in (mainly the losing bids). At one point I was the proud (?) owner of four 2000, three 2004 and six 2008 Istanbul bid book sets lol. All passed along to a sports book seller in Melbourne - all went to good homes. Some duplicates I have donated to libraries as well. I've given a few away including to members of GB back in the day. One particular IOC session saw me taking home about 25 kilos of excess baggage...

At some point I'll clear them all out. There are only 10 I'd really want to hang on to - Stockholm 2004, the three Aussie bids, Sapporo 1984 (one of my favourite cities in the world - and yes I have contemplated buying the 1972 bid book that appears on eBay every once and a while), Toronto maybe... Vancouver, Munich... a few others.

• Like 1

Removed my list as all of a sudden I am receiving emails (more than one - no names I recognise from my interactions here) offering to buy/asking for prices when I have said I'm not doing that :)

Seems this thread is watched by some collectors...

Interesting, people are very thirsty for bid books, apologies for that.

Brisbane I got through a friend of Sallyanne Atkinson who ran the bid.

I (along with Rols) used to work in the media and thus had a fair bit of contact with various bidders/media outlets attached to bids and attended a number of IOC sessions back in the day. At most IOC meetings the bidders set up large displays and had tons of swag to give away. After the vote is announced most were happy to give away everything so they didn't have to cart it back to Turkey/France/Sweden wherever. I've been offered scale models of venues, banners, etc etc - tons of crap. Thus I have boxes of shirts/poster/brochures etc that I really need to catalog at some point.

I also had some very good contacts with a number of national committees and their respective IOC member/s - sadly most have passed on now. Luckily for me at the time they knew of my interest in bid documents and were happy to off load the ones they had no interest in (mainly the losing bids). At one point I was the proud (?) owner of four 2000, three 2004 and six 2008 Istanbul bid book sets lol. All passed along to a sports book seller in Melbourne - all went to good homes. Some duplicates I have donated to libraries as well. I've given a few away including to members of GB back in the day. One particular IOC session saw me taking home about 25 kilos of excess baggage...

At some point I'll clear them all out. There are only 10 I'd really want to hang on to - Stockholm 2004, the three Aussie bids, Sapporo 1984 (one of my favourite cities in the world - and yes I have contemplated buying the 1972 bid book that appears on eBay every once and a while), Toronto maybe... Vancouver, Munich... a few others.

Thanks for that, really interesting info. Can one just rock up at an IOC session :P:lol:

I guess it doesn't matter anymore because I think the IOC voted that bid books will all be online from now on to cut costs.

Oh, a few days off and the discussion on books goes on. Interesting stories, TNMP. To collect seriously, it takes patience, time and money. It is difficult, to find the books nowadays. I started collecting 11 years ago and still search some sets. Glad that I have a very long list too. Some were and are difficult to find (Torino, Athens, St. Petersburg, San Juan....) and some very few still easy to get. I love my collection as it took years to set it up - all in a row in 8 Billy shelves :-) Glad anytime, I walk on by.

• Like 1

Interesting, people are very thirsty for bid books, apologies for that.

Thanks for that, really interesting info. Can one just rock up at an IOC session :P:lol:

I guess it doesn't matter anymore because I think the IOC voted that bid books will all be online from now on to cut costs.

They are cumbersome things - and these days I am happy with the digital copies. I'll print out a venue render or two but the rest - let's be honest - they just gather dust. I know your new Amsterdam set is pretty sweet - however it's not something you look at every day once the novelty wears off. I mean I never sit there and casually think to myself - "hmm, I want to read about Anchorage's 1994 budget plan"... I suppose it is comforting that I can if I want though... I might scan a few more books and add them to my Issuu page next month though. If I can be bothered.

Oh, a few days off and the discussion on books goes on. Interesting stories, TNMP. To collect seriously, it takes patience, time and money. It is difficult, to find the books nowadays. I started collecting 11 years ago and still search some sets. Glad that I have a very long list too. Some were and are difficult to find (Torino, Athens, St. Petersburg, San Juan....) and some very few still easy to get. I love my collection as it took years to set it up - all in a row in 8 Billy shelves :-) Glad anytime, I walk on by.

As I said above - the issue is the prices are so over-inflated. Apart from those NYC 2012 and Sion 2002 books that keep popping up for $50/$80 all the other sellers are delusional. Look at that Paris 2008 brochure that has been on eBay for years now. Idiot still thinks it's going to sell for $50... German eBay used to be the worst - EU160 for the Leipzig candidate file? Suuuuuuuuuuure. Just as likely as that Aussie seller selling a Sydney 2000 bid postcard for $200. The majority of the bid books I purchased were $60-$100 max.

Also sadly most NOC's have just thrown their bid book sets out - I know the Malaysian NOC did a few years back. I tried to offer to take them - offered to fly over and pick them up but to no avail. Having been quite close with their previous head I knew they had a glorious collection. All gone to some landfill and burned I imagine.

These days I say jump on whatever ones you can find as there won't be anymore sadly. Also keep tabs on IOC members passing away as estate sales are good places to find them to - most are online these days.

I'd love if you would post a pic of your collection - I will once I get them out of boxes and line them all up :)

They are cumbersome things - and these days I am happy with the digital copies. I'll print out a venue render or two but the rest - let's be honest - they just gather dust. I know your new Amsterdam set is pretty sweet - however it's not something you look at every day once the novelty wears off. I mean I never sit there and casually think to myself - "hmm, I want to read about Anchorage's 1994 budget plan"... I suppose it is comforting that I can if I want though... I might scan a few more books and add them to my Issuu page next month though. If I can be bothered.

Oh yeah exactly. They look great and I get a smile whenever I look and think about them but they get about one read each.

As I said above - the issue is the prices are so over-inflated. Apart from those NYC 2012 and Sion 2002 books that keep popping up for $50/$80 all the other sellers are delusional. Look at that Paris 2008 brochure that has been on eBay for years now. Idiot still thinks it's going to sell for $50... German eBay used to be the worst - EU160 for the Leipzig candidate file? Suuuuuuuuuuure. Just as likely as that Aussie seller selling a Sydney 2000 bid postcard for $200. The majority of the bid books I purchased were $60-$100 max.

It's looking like $100-$200 is the new normal but anything over that isn't really worth it although countless people were willing to pay $500+ for Athens 2004. Priciest one or me was Melbourne which was $200 but $100 postage but was worth it in my eyes. Amsterdam on the other hand I got away with about $70 including postage

Prague 1980? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Praha-Prague-1980-Olympic-book-Czechoslovak-Olympic-Committe-rare-/161930674144?hash=item25b3d1ffe0:g:-2MAAOSwgyxWXYBR

Did the Czechs really make a bid for 1980 but bailed out prior to the actual vote? I see pins out there, but this is the first time I've seen a bid book.

Prague 1980? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Praha-Prague-1980-Olympic-book-Czechoslovak-Olympic-Committe-rare-/161930674144?hash=item25b3d1ffe0:g:-2MAAOSwgyxWXYBR

Did the Czechs really make a bid for 1980 but bailed out prior to the actual vote? I see pins out there, but this is the first time I've seen a bid book.

Apparently there was indeed that idea in the late 60s, but not followed by a real bid. I guess after the end of the Prague Spring and the renewed Soviet influence, they got the message that it must be Moscow's turn first...

Apparently there was indeed that idea in the late 60s, but not followed by a real bid. I guess after the end of the Prague Spring and the renewed Soviet influence, they got the message that it must be Moscow's turn first...

Must explain that Olympic Fund noted on the back cover where they acknowledge 1968. I wouldn't say they got the message, but to simply compete against the USSR and Moscow was just too much. But why didn't they try for 1984? Even if it were another long shot given the recent Communist Games and perhaps Sarajevo filling the Communist games (for Winter), they only had LA to compete with, which already hosted before.

Edited by Lord David

^^I had a look, And I'm thinking - 'Is it just me or are most Main Stadium Renders in Bid Books following the same format/design?' I've seen their Stadium Design in many other Books too...

Would've loved to seen Czechoslovakia host the Games...They did host a few events for the Alternate Games held in 1984. I remember Artistic Gymnastics being held at the Winter Stadium in Olomouc.

Anyways, I've checked on AbeBooks UK and found 4 Amsterdam Bid Books, The lowest is going for £15.17 with £6.00 Shipping! Not much detail about the condition so maybe that's why there's a low price...

You said there were others? Do you have links? Also...buying your first bid book is the most magical thing.

No, buying your first luxury wrist watch is. Especially given how much you saved for it and that "you've earned it" feeling at the end.

I see these other Amsterdam bid books on Abebooks. But I can't determine if they have the slipcase like Olympic Fan Darcy's. He stated some of them didn't have the slipcase. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?ds=20&kn=amsterdam+olympic+1992&sortby=20 The first one although expensive, looks like it has it.

Sapporo 1972 Bid Book - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1972-SAPPORO-OLYMPIC-CANDIDATE-CITY-JAPAN-PLAN-REPORT-BOOK-/171169351193?hash=item27da7d0619:g:Yh0AAOxyuR5TX2b7

Turns out the Amsterdam set I wanted (With the slipcase) was the French copy :/ Looks like I'll have to go for the non-slipcase one, I'm also planning on buying the Manchester 96 Presentation Summary that Darcy posted earlier.

Anyone know what this is? - http://www.ebay.de/itm/Berlin-2000-Olympia-Bildband-die-Stadt-fur-Olympia-Hrsg-und-Red-Berlin-200-/172059310895?hash=item280f88bb2f:g:m7IAAOSwJkJWlCI5

I'm pretty sure Berlin submitted 3 Volumes opposed to 1 shown above...

That is a Berlin 2000 bid document in German. The 3 bid book version (which I have) is in English/French. This is clearly a bid document which is simply in the German language. It could be a condensed version of the 3 bid book file or simply a summary of it. It's definitely not the preliminary bid documents (domestic bid phase) as I've seen one of those on eBay before.

• Like 1

Selling my St. Petersburg 2004 Bid Book. Please send me your offers. Best, Thomas

10 dollars. Or if you'd like, my Vostok Partner. I rarely wear that one anymore. Still ticks of course, being an automatic, but it's frigidity when being set to the correct time. Could use a service I guess, or an internal clean.