Bid books

I've been looking for years, but if anyone has an extra Vancouver 2010 Bid Book around that they'd be willing to sell, or if anyone can direct me to where I could purchase one. I would dearly love to get my hands on a copy for sentimental reasons. I know PDF versions can be found, but it's just not the same thing. I'd absolutely love to purchase a physical version, if anyone can help out, direct message me! Thanks a bunch!

I've been looking for years, but if anyone has an extra Vancouver 2010 Bid Book around that they'd be willing to sell, or if anyone can direct me to where I could purchase one. I would dearly love to get my hands on a copy for sentimental reasons. I know PDF versions can be found, but it's just not the same thing. I'd absolutely love to purchase a physical version, if anyone can help out, direct message me! Thanks a bunch!

IKR, there are so many PDF Versions but it just ain't like the real thing. I'll be on lookout for a Vancouver set and will message you ASAP if I find one :)

Wowza, that's crazy! I'm surprised Quebec ever got approved as a candidate considering there is no ski hill in the province with a hill high enough to hold Alpine events. At least in the speed category. I'm keeping my fingers crossed Vancouver pops up soon! :) Hopefully you can find what you are looking for too!

Wowza, that's crazy! I'm surprised Quebec ever got approved as a candidate considering there is no ski hill in the province with a hill high enough to hold Alpine events. At least in the speed category. I'm keeping my fingers crossed Vancouver pops up soon! :) Hopefully you can find what you are looking for too!

Probs the reason they wounded up last place. I remember being there, I was a little girl and we were on vaccation in Quebec, we went to see the announcement at the square or whatever it was... There were protesters that were booed out, everyone was disappointed that SLC won and Quebec got eliminated. People were crying etc. Pretty dramatic,,,

I've been looking for years, San Juan was the one I wanted the mosted along with Lille...

Well given what was going on behind the scenes - Quebec or any other city was never going to be considered, that being said even if the bid process WAS totally fair, Quebec wouldn't have won anyways. Sion and Ostersund would have been far better choices and actually had mountains that would have been capable of hosting Alpine events. That optimism that people in Quebec had was greatly misplaced. It's never going to host a Winter Games.

^^ Sure it will, eventually. All it needs is a further 30 m on top of Le Massif now (as to avoid the two options of the 2002 bid, Cap-du-Salut at the St Lawrence River or the environmentally bad option of a slop inland where it also lands at a river, but supposedly has the 800m drop)

Just do a new course at the off piste.

Now with a new arena, it has stronger chances. It was weak in 2002 because it offered aging venues (despite being already existing) compared to Salt Lake City having a brand new arena (and building new arenas), as well as Sion and Ostersund needing new arenas.

The PEPS facility at Laval University can now be solely used specifically for athletes, as would the whole complex, which would be supplemented by high rise dormitories, as per the 2002 bid. It will no longer host anything.

It's all a question of if a ski jump complex and sliding complex would be beneficial at the long run. Yes, it would help athletes in Eastern Canada, but they can easily just go south to Lake Placid as I'm sure they do already, as opposed to heading west to Calgary or Vancouver.

Fair point, but it all sounds fairly risky to me, Quebec isn't really in a financial situation right now or for the foreseeable future to be able to financially afford hosting the Olympics.

Getting back on topic now though back to bid books, has anyone else seen any other recent candidate cities anywhere? I haven't seen San Juan anywhere or Lille! If I do though I'll let you know!

That's kind of how I felt about Pyeongchang 2018 and Tokyo and Istanbul for 2020. I'm one who craves details and venue renders, not just of the outside but of the inside and an actual vision of what the games will look like, so when I saw those bid books, I was hugely disappointed when there was hardly any details, just aerial shots of the indoor venues. They really just kind of coasted and didn't care. I thought they were of very poor quality. Of course it doesn't mean that they won't put on a decent Olympics and all the actual venues usually end up looking totally different, but still, I'm someone who likes to see what kind of vision and ideas they have and when they don't do that, it kind of is a big let down.

That's kind of how I felt about Pyeongchang 2018 and Tokyo and Istanbul for 2020. I'm one who craves details and venue renders, not just of the outside but of the inside and an actual vision of what the games will look like, so when I saw those bid books, I was hugely disappointed when there was hardly any details, just aerial shots of the indoor venues. They really just kind of coasted and didn't care. I thought they were of very poor quality. Of course it doesn't mean that they won't put on a decent Olympics and all the actual venues usually end up looking totally different, but still, I'm someone who likes to see what kind of vision and ideas they have and when they don't do that, it kind of is a big let down.

Yeah, me too, I usually go for the Details and Venue Renders....

Lille's 2004 bid book was very poor grade. Talk about being sloppy. They had a mix of artistic renditions and poor 90's renders and even a simple aerial view with drawn rowing course.

It's like they weren't even trying.

Well, I still want them and I will keep looking for them until I find it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1984-OLYMPICS-New-Yorks-Failed-Summer-Olympic-Bid-Proposal-Book-Memorabilia-/161585851356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259f446bdc

New York 1984 bid.

I wasn't aware New York was up against L.A in the domestic bid race to host 1984. L.A received 55 votes to NYC's 39.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1984-OLYMPICS-New-Yorks-Failed-Summer-Olympic-Bid-Proposal-Book-Memorabilia-/161585851356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259f446bdc

New York 1984 bid.

I wasn't aware New York was up against L.A in the domestic bid race to host 1984. L.A received 55 votes to NYC's 39.

Are you bidding? Cuz you keep out bidding me! LOL!