Bid books

Well I found some Berlin thing on abebooks and did some investigating and emailing

Here's the link/links to the item if you want to buy

http://www.hedgerowbooks.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=5031&keyword=berlin&searchby=title&offset=0&fs=1

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=9814637808&searchurl=bi%3Dh%26kn%3Dberlin%26sortby%3D0%26vci%3D481209

And here's some pictures of the item. I thinks its one volume of the book but unsure. Lord David would be be able to clarify he has the Berlin books.

img019_zps3cdd0227.jpg

IMG_3894_zps6321ad78.jpg

This is the Berlin 2000 bid file. 3 books, like everyone else.

2000%20Berlin%20-%20Bid%20Book.JPG

As was the case for 2000 and beyond, 1 focused on several topics, 2 was the sports (and some other topics as well before and after it) and 3 would be the remainder of topics (where in old bid books it was 1 topics about the city/questionnaires, 2 solely the sports and 3 the media)

Horrible bid book if you asked me, since they used a sloppy binder/folder format. Consumed too much surface space for what essentially was half "air" and half pages for the most part. Not to mention bland, dull and overall showcasing how "budget-wise" the bid really was.

What you have there is just bid related material, every bid produced something of a smaller version of the real bid book.

Well, the single volume is much better than the bid book, as it contains some nice texts and there are many beuatiful pictures of old Berlin and Berlin at the beginnings of the 90ies. There are also some graphics about venues.

But 34 pounds or 50 Dollar is ways too much. This single volume was handed out to IOC members and some VIPs.

The Bid Book of Berlin 2000 is a bit bland on the first Look as Lords says, but it is still informative and its fine if you are interested in the planing - not in the presentation. But overall, its true: All the other Bid Books for 2000 I have so far (Beijing, Sydney and IStanbul and Berlin) were ways better presented. Only Manchester 2000 came up with binders too - and they used very cheap and thin paper (only have volume one).

Well, the single volume is much better than the bid book, as it contains some nice texts and there are many beuatiful pictures of old Berlin and Berlin at the beginnings of the 90ies. There are also some graphics about venues.

But 34 pounds or 50 Dollar is ways too much. This single volume was handed out to IOC members and some VIPs.

The Bid Book of Berlin 2000 is a bit bland on the first Look as Lords says, but it is still informative and its fine if you are interested in the planing - not in the presentation. But overall, its true: All the other Bid Books for 2000 I have so far (Beijing, Sydney and IStanbul and Berlin) were ways better presented. Only Manchester 2000 came up with binders too - and they used very cheap and thin paper (only have volume one).

Well obviously it was technically sound, but in a bid race where style was everything, the colourful Sydney bid books (and other bid material such as summary binder books or even this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sydney-2000-Olympic-Games-Bid-Presentation-Book-/181115813059?pt=AU_Summer_Winter_Games_Memorabilia&hash=item2a2b57fcc3 Sydney 2000 presentation book) simply had the WOW factor, in which even without opening the books just makes you want to open the bid documents (which were essentially wrapped like a present :)) without even knowing the contents.

Cheap and thin paper for Manchester 2000? Reminds me of Annecy 2018, you could tell that those books used cheaper than text book grade paper, perhaps just one step or 2 ahead of Magazine quality paper. Showed the cheapness of that bid.

Yep. It is really impossible to find any bid books these days. I wonder if we'll be lucky enough to see a 2020 one pop up within the year. Or any from the past few races. All it seems to be are the older ones.(Calgary, LA, Salt Lake City). Waiting for any 2016, 2012, 2008 etc

What are some good sites, beisdes ebay?

abebooks.com

You can find some there if you look hard enough, though it varies with the seller and price they offer.

What are some good sites, beisdes ebay?

Yep what David said.

I got my Paris 2012 one off ebay for about $130 AUD including postage I think. And I got my NYC 2012 off abebooks for about $80 AUD.

Although not really any have been posted in last couple months. There was a Berlin one I think but it's gone now and a Salzburg one for real cheap but that went aswell. Then theres just been older ones from 80's prior been up recently. Hope more come up soon!

You hoping to get into the bid book market? Or have you already started?

I almost bought an Athens 2004 one this Summer, it didn't happen. I almost bought and Atlanta 1996 one, it didn't happen. I was looking at an NYC 2012, but never bought it. Everything is expensive, but yes, I would love to start a book and torch collection!

• 3 weeks later...

They are all very nice, although Lillehammer 1992 and 1994 are not complete.

If I am right, the Nagano one is the version that was sent to IFS, Media and NOCs and not the IOC Version (but both version contain the IOC Questionnaire). Sion 2002 is nice and so is Salzburg. I guess Sochi will be very pricey.... And even the copmplete Istanbul Questionnaire is worth buying.