100 days to go

Has anyone heard of any events. I know they dont like to give much notice on these things. but is there anything going on? Its nice to give warning as not everyone lives in London and so needs to plan to get there if there is an event.

On another note, I just tried to get on the website and for a while I was being directed to a different random website, something about planning appliacations. But got me thinking something may be afoot, website wise

Has anyone heard of any events. I know they dont like to give much notice on these things. but is there anything going on? Its nice to give warning as not everyone lives in London and so needs to plan to get there if there is an event.

On another note, I just tried to get on the website and for a while I was being directed to a different random website, something about planning appliacations. But got me thinking something may be afoot, website wise

You would think some new developments in whatever realm would do that at the 100-day mark. There is some stuff in the works like in the media side of things.

Speaking of which on that front, I can't even see, let alone post into, my very own London Olympic media thread for the time being when I log into it! AAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :angry: Why? I attempted to submit a very nice one on that thread at this time yesterday, but the processing was so slow and eventually couldn't connect, regardless of browser! When I'm not logged in, I could visit the thread with no problems. When I visit other threads, I enter, read, and add posts with no issues either. Why just this one? And it's still a problem now.

OOOOh tell me about it. I woke up to temporary road signs in my home town that say Olympic Event in Stamford June 20th, I nearly wet myself it made me so excited. Its just a test leg of the relay but its made my day it really did.

Test leg of the relay on June the 20th ? But doesn't the relay start on May the 18th ?

Its getting closer. As I walked to work this morning I noticed the road in Wellington where the Birtish High Commission is are closing the road for an Olympic Celebration to Mark the 100 day countdown to the games.

NZ marks 100 day Olympic countdown

Wednesday 18 April marks 100 days to the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games and athletes, school children, politicians and every-day Kiwis are marking the milestone.

Singer/songwriter Sam RB was announced as the winner of the Olympic songwriting competition with her song Stand Tall. Produced by Split Enz musician Eddie Raynor, the song was written to inspire athletes at the Olympic Games and make New Zealand proud.

In Wellington, Phil Goff takes on Sarah Ulmer and members of the Wellington Phoenix in a celebrity race up Thorndon’s Hill Street. A street party then gets underway featuring international Olympic-themed food stalls staffed by Wellington school children. The party is open to the public and also includes the Samsung Mobile Experience with its interactive Olympic displays, music and entertainment.

The Olympic team will grow once more as the New Zealand Olympic Committee names the triathletes to represent New Zealand at London and confirms who will lead our Olympic footballers into competition.

New Zealand Olympic Team Chef de Mission Dave Currie says the 100 day milestone is significant. “London will be an outstanding games and we expect to see our 100th Olympic medal won. The venues and preparations are second to none and our athletes will make us proud.”

The London Olympic Games open on 27th July 2012 and end on 12 August. New Zealand expects to send a team of around 200 athletes competing in 17 sports. To date 60 athletes have been selected in rowing, equestrian, sailing, canoe kayak and athletics.

London will be the first city to host the Olympic Games three times. New Zealand competed at both early editions of the Olympic Games in London. The first, in 1908, saw New Zealand win its first Olympic medal with a bronze by Harry Kerr in the 3500m walk. The second, in 1948, was the last time New Zealand sent athletes to the Olympic Games by ship.

New Zealand has won 90 Olympic medals to date (89 summer, one winter).

Team namings will continue until July.

From the New Zealand Olympic Committee Website

"2012 Olympics - One Hundred Days To Go" on BBC One this Wednesday.

It's at 10.45pm in England and Wales, or 11.15pm in Scotland and Northern Ireland - with catch-up on the BBC iPlayer.

Its a bit late but its something. Apparently its a more UK focused programme, a more generic one will be shown around the world

What other events are planned to mark this day? It seems awfully quiet (not to mention awful weather in London today). Beijing had a big all stars concert gala at the unveiling of the Beijing Welcomes You song in the Forbidden City... something should be done to officially mark the counting down of days!

Archived