Titanic 100

Saturday 15th April 2012 will be the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the worlds most famous liner

Titanic%20BW.gif

The Titanic story has interested and captivated me since i was a child and the 1997 film reignited my interest in the topic

I thought we could use this thread to discuss the Titanic in this 100th year.

Is anyone related to any of the victims or survivors?

What is your favourite movie or book depicting the sinking?

Does anyone have any interesting conspiracy theories?

Lets discuss

titanic-04.jpg

My all-time favourite Titanic movie is 'A Night To Remember' (1958). Even though the names of the real-life characters were changed in the film, it still has the most authentic feel for me of anything on screen relating to the ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okgLvnAh8Gg

There was a good docudrama on the CBC called Saving the Titanic. It was about the engineers, shovellers and firemen that were on the ship and how they worked till the end to keep the lights and power on so that they could get as many passengers off as possible.

And the truly sad part is that Thomas Andrews had designed the ship to have 56 lifeboats. There were 20.

Actually, April 15th is Sunday, the day of our Lord. I will commemorate the event by playing my recording of TITANIC the Musical (which has absolutely sublime music by Maury Yeston) and bawling my eyes out. Can't believe it's already a century since the horrible tragedy happened.

Watched one of the many spin-off documentaries on TV the other night with Len Goodman (the British judge on DANCING WITH THE STARS) hosting. He's a Belfast boy--he actually worked as a welder as a young man with Harland and Wolff, the builders of the Titanic, before he went into his ballroom dancing career, so he has a special connection to the whole topic. His doc focused on some of the stories of the less celebrated survivors; and those were equally poignant. There was also SAVING THE TITANIC, a recreation of the drama that went on the boilder rooms of the doomed ship -- and I could not bear to watch it. I had to shut it off after 15 mins.

I sure hope all those souls have found some rest after 100 years!!

:( Saving The Titanic is the saddest of all the doco's that have been bombarding our TV screens this week...Those poor men left in the hull!

The preservation of the hull(s) have also been given a mention. Surprising to know that the wreck has rapidly decayed over the last 27 years since discovered due to the amount of rubbish dropped and sediment being stirred up by explorers...(especially the Russian ones).

IMO the wreck should be left alone now...the centenary of the sinking be seen as the final let go.

They did a memorial service tonight on board of the MS Balmoral at the sinking site of the Titanic. How poignant that the broadcast is cut short by some breaking news about the North Korean missiles. Abruptly back to our current problems, away from any nostalgic melancholy.

We live in an almost completely different world now than the people of the year 1912. Those people hadn't even experienced World War I yet. Therefore I find it remarkable that the sympathy for the victims of that tragedy spans such a long, eventful and tumultuous century.

Archived