Businesses on planned Olympic site vow to sue

Businesses on planned Olympic site vow to sue if London wins

Mark Stephens, a lawyer who represents more than a third of the businesses that occupy the land in the Lea Valley intended for the Olympic site, said yesterday that his clients would sue the London Development Agency (LDA) if Britain wins the bid. He said the majority of the 300 businesses which will be moved out were furious at the low level of compensation on offer.

Telegraph Article

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news . . .

This has been done to death. I have written at least 6 postings on the subject. The truth is that these businesses have the right to independent arbitration if they reject the LDA's offer of compensation. This is only coming about because London 2012 is so advanced with their land aquisition (80% so far) that the issue is being addressed.

Any winning Olympic city will have the same problem because land is always a premium in any developed city. New York knows this to its cost. There is a legal basis for compulsory purchase in the UK and this will be used if businesses carry on being unreasonable.

If London gets the games, there will also be a legal challenge from some of the residents of Stratford whose home will be demolished.

The following is from the Olympic bid document

“Opposition to the project -

There is no organised public opposition to hosting the Games in London”

This is clearly not true.

There was a little item in the Independent on Sunday, suggesting that the Marshgate businesses should not go to Singapore – the usual scare tactics. The powers that be are very worried abut their campaign.

Given that there is no guarantee that  we will get  the games – why has the LDA used public money to purchase 80% of the land in the area?

Given that there is no guarantee that  we will get  the games – why has the LDA used public money to purchase 80% of the land in the area?

Ok, I can't believe I'm even bothering to answer this guy, but on this particular point...

Maybe the LDA have bought 80% of the land already because even if we don't win the bid, 3 out of the 5 main venues (Swimming Complex, Hockey Stadium, Velodrome) is STILL going to be built.

So, those businesses in the areas are still going to have to move out.

Any let's be honest here, the current businesses are more concerned with the fact that if they can hold onto their land for another few years, until the Channel Tunnel Rail Link is open at Stratford, they know that they'll be able to make a fortune by selling on to Developers then.  Any sob story about jobs being lost is just a smoke screen - by 2012 none of those businesses will still be there anyway.  Instead you'll have yet more trendy apartments - and I bet they would give far less back to the community in Stratford than the Olympic Park.

Archived