London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the cauldron is a symbol of the games, not just the climax of the ceremony. It's also not about it being on TV - the Olympics are in town and Londoners, visitors and athletes should be able to see the Olympic flame burning bright.

But, say if I came to town only to watch gymnastics (at the Millenium, right?) or indoor Volleyball (at Earl's Court), then I still wouldn't see the friggin' cauldron anyway,right? So why this obsession with a fire structure that will only be incidental if you actually go to Olympic Park (if it were up there)??

Anyway....what if 2 or 3 countries boycotted at the last minute?? So,I guess they would've had to remove 2 or 3 petals, huh??

Easy. If you have gas spewing out of 200+ vents, they'll catch fire quickly.

But they didn't all catch fire in a random succession. The first were lit by the seven torchbearers, then the remaining first row of 'petals', and after that it was row after row lighting up, so it was a controlled lighting. As I've read, each 'petal' had and igniter, which explains this.

So indeed every nation has its individual petal, due to the inscriptions - and therefore will probably get exactly that petal back after the Games. Nice!

I hope they clean the charred surface before. :lol:

As a piece of attrative design, this cauldron really only works from its dead-center looking bottom-up.

So that's to say that it dosen't work.

From every other angle, it looks like a bunch of tightly packed trees in the winter whose tops are on fire.

I can understand the disappointment. Vancouver's flame was very accessible (despite the ugly fence). But nearly everyone who came here in 2010 has a photo of themselves with the Olympic flame behind them. A video screen? Cop out.

Look, it is a nice design, but it was clearly over-thought by the designers and organizers. I don't think NOCs are itching to bring home a piece of copper...they want gold, silver and bronze. ;) But the millions in London right now are looking to bring back their piece of it. I'm glad it isn't on a high tower, however. But still, I can see the desire of people in London wanting want to see it in person.

It's only 28 feet high (as we learned from the USA Today article on the previous page), so it shouldn't block any spectator's views. I'm asking myself, though, whether it will block the view onto the jumbotrons on the southern end (just like the bell did).

I imagine on the ground level. On the stage it would get in the way of spectators.

But surely the heat might be too much for peopel above it even if its not directly in front of them?

I suppose they have everything figured out though. We'll see.

Ohhhh I get it now why the organizers needed to ask the PM about the Cauldron.

"So we are going to need the government to spend all these money on this cauldron which in the past became monuments from the games, but after these games are over we are going to disassemble it and give the pieces to each competing countries here instead. U cool?"

Nah...I think the upper bowl is far enough away for that to not be a concern. Yeah, I imagine a low lying stage at about ground level in that central gateway where the flame entered.

Ohhhh I get it now why the organizers needed to ask the PM about the Cauldron.

"So we are going to need the government to spend all these money on this cauldron which in the past became monuments from the games, but after these games are over we are going to disassemble it and give the pieces to each competing countries here instead. U cool?"

Ha ha! Well, at least one piece will get to stay in London. But who takes home the petal for the 'Independent Olympic Athletes'?

Ha ha! Well, at least one piece will get to stay in London. But who takes home the petal for the 'Independent Olympic Athletes'?

I guess this one goes to South Sudan. The Netherlands will have theirs.

Is that 204 including the IOA (how they love those acronyms....)? I thought the 204 was for accredited NOCs?

But that's kinda of an impractical idea. Distribute sooty petals (not unless London goes thru the trouble of washing them of all that soot before giving them as gifts)? But what is 1/204th of a sculpture? It's sort of a...oh, before you leave the museum, there's this little thing here from London by the corner...thing.

I imagine on the ground level. On the stage it would get in the way of spectators.

But surely the heat might be too much for peopel above it even if its not directly in front of them?

I suppose they have everything figured out though. We'll see.

Thomas heatherwick confirmed in an interview that the cauldron will be placed where the bell was for the opening ceremony. Sorted.

The Greeks will probably tell them to keep their cauldron piece, give them back the Acropolis marbles. Ooops. Did I go there? LOL

They could just run them through a dishwasher or something.

But will this cauldron be used during the Paralympics? If so, then the NOCs won't get their piece for a while. Unless they have specially made ones for the Paralympics, which I believe, attract a smaller number of NPC delegations.

I honestly expect most of these petals to be either in the trash, stashed away in an NOC closet/locker/safe/filing cabinet, used as a paperweight on the NOC head's desk or reception desk or at the very worst, used as an ash tray!

The Greeks will probably tell them to keep their cauldron piece, give them back the Acropolis marbles. Ooops. Did I go there? LOL

They could just run them through a dishwasher or something.

But will this cauldron be used during the Paralympics? If so, then the NOCs won't get their piece for a while. Unless they have specially made ones for the Paralympics, which I believe, attract a smaller number of NPC delegations.

The Paralympics will have the damaged petals. :P

But, say if I came to town only to watch gymnastics (at the Millenium, right?) or indoor Volleyball (at Earl's Court), then I still wouldn't see the friggin' cauldron anyway,right? So why this obsession with a fire structure that will only be incidental if you actually go to Olympic Park (if it were up there)??

Chances are though you'd see it getting to the venue - and that's the point. It's all part of the experience.

I was wondering about that - a completely new cauldron perhaps for the Paralympics - maybe one large petal. One of the lighters on the BBC now saying they only got to rehearse it once.

That's some serious hydraulics the huh? London showing the commonwealth (COUGHSYDNEYVANCOUVERCOUGH) how to double check the cauldron engines.

Haha that made me laugh. :lol:

Though I would say Athens showed up Sydney first with its big bowing cauldron.

Archived