London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

As for the idea that it would be floating in the middle (aside from how the gas would get there). Would the javelins have a change of hitting it. Not really sure how high they go.

And if the cauldron was on the ground it would be in the way for where the javelins and shot put (and others) would land surely?

Finally, the mistery seems to be solved: cauldron in the middle of the stadium floating. Probably it will be elevated till right the middle...

We are just hours away to finish this fascinating discussion!!!! :( :(

Deifinitely not floating above the stadium arena.

It is on a fixed supporting structure, perhaps the Stadium roof itself - or at least on a structure which is then supported on the roof.

But we won't know with 100% certainty until the OC when it is in full view of the world.

Edited by AustralianFan

quote from ATR

Around the Rings is told by sources familiar with the situation that the decision not to construct a cauldron visible throughout the Olympic Park was influenced by plans to reconfigure the stadium after the Games to a smaller capacity, as well as budgetary.

IOC coordination commission chair Denis Oswald tells ATR there definitely is a cauldron, but confirms it will only be visible within the Olympic Stadium.

The absence of a cauldron visible from outside the stadium is a first for the Summer Games of the recent era

ATR

Cauldron's Flame To Be Seen Across Olympic Park

So the Cauldron and it's flame will be seen by those outside, as well as most of the audience inside London's Olympic Stadium.

Now that we have seen, across Olympic Park, the distant video and still images of the Cauldron being tested in the early hours of Friday morning London time, this finally puts to rest that earlier incorrect and alleged ATR report written by an "unknown" person wrongly alleging a senior and widely respected IOC Member had released information about the Cauldron, including that it would only be "seen by those inside the Stadium."

That IOC Member's integrity and reputation rightly remains intact.

It should be noted that it appears not who posted this false report in this thread is at fault, but whoeover made up the original story.

Enjoy the Games guys, wherever you are !

Edited by AustralianFan

Cauldron's Flame To Be Seen Across Olympic Park

So the Cauldron and it's flame will be seen by those outside, as well as most of the audience inside London's Olympic Stadium.

Now that we have seen, across Olympic Park, the distant video and still images of the Cauldron being tested in the early hours of Friday morning London time, this finally puts to rest that earlier incorrect and alleged ATR report written by an "unknown" person wrongly alleging a senior and widely respected IOC Member had released information about the Cauldron, including that it would only be "seen by those inside the Stadium."

That IOC Member's integrity and reputation rightly remains intact.

It should be noted that it appears not who posted this false report in this thread is at fault, but whoeover made up the original story.

Enjoy the Games guys, wherever you are !

I suppose it's possible that you are right (which means either Oswald or ATR lied), but I don't think we can be sure that any of those pictures show the cauldron. They are all blurry and taken from a great distance. Those lights could be something else. I really don't think anything has been "proved."

And then peyong yang (dont hold me to spelling) in 2018

And what's in Nanjing?

The 2nd Summer YOGs.

And after 224 pages, we are NO CLOSER to finding where the cauldron is because there ISN'T going to be an outside cauldron not unless they piggyback onto the Orbital.

The big thing "from the center of the stadium" would be something right out of the center spot. That is the geographic center of the stadium. How can Heatherwick design 'something" that's sitting in midair...when there's NOTHING there. Whatever he designed, will rise from the hole and, I guess ascend higher than I anticipated and spit out high flames I guess, obviously NOT incinerating the overhead cables.

But I think less is more rather than a huge fireball.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Okay, so here is the deal. We all have clues, but nothing concrete. Mad props LOCOG!!! But my theory at this late time is Heatherwick designed a great cauldron that will emerge from the center of the stadium and rise to be a suspended cauldron in the center of the stadium. The problem is that we all refuse to believe anything. We need concrete belief. What made Sydney spectacular is that firr came from water and a cauldron emerged that no one had ever seen. Imagine, just imagine, LOCOG has mad the "impossible" possible. Maybe just maybe Thomas Heather wick gave us art and LOCOG gave us innovation. I have been under a Cauldron before at the USOC Hall of Fame in Colorado Springs and it's awesome to see the underside of the flame. Maybe...just maybe we will see the first cauldron that is above all in the stadium during the games, because we all fuel the Olympic Flame. Athens gave us the flame in the closing ceremony, Maybe London will have us "fuel" it. LOCOG and Seb Coe have redefined how the Olympic movement will move into the modern generation. So it's roughly sunrise in London as I type this and first of all, to all of you that "saved the surprise" you have truly been a "brit" keeping calm and carrying on. I hate and love you all (y'all as we say in America) for keeping the secret. Barcelona created awe, Sydney amazement, London I have high hopes for you. So I log out because NBC sucks and I cannot see it live and I hope that when I come back, I figured it out. If not, I look forward to speculating with you about Sochi. Thats why they call it the Olympic Movement, it keeps moving. Citius-Altius-Fortius

• Like 1

I suppose it's possible that you are right (which means either Oswald or ATR lied), but I don't think we can be sure that any of those pictures show the cauldron. They are all blurry and taken from a great distance. Those lights could be something else. I really don't think anything has been "proved."

You obviously have not seen Video.

Look at that first.

It shows the Cauldron's flame coming to life during the lighting rehearsal and the accompanying fireworks.

One of the still images was taken from that video.

The other image is from a webcam in Olympic Park.

• Like 1

And after 224 pages, we are NO CLOSER to finding where the cauldron is because there ISN'T going to be an outside cauldron

Obviously a few more of you have not yet even viewed the big video posted by jkboy92 which shows the flame of the Cauldron clearly pop up during the Cauldron lighting rehearsal.

Baron please be a little more mature

Yeah, I know. We have to treat this subject with total seriousness and reverence. :rolleyes:

Get real, wilya. It's just a friggin' cauldron.

Obviously a few more of you have not yet even viewed the big video posted by jkboy92 which shows the flame of the Cauldron clearly pop up during the Cauldron lighting rehearsal.

I saw the flames. It looks like it emanates from the geographic center of the stadium; therefore, it would have to come from that hole in the ground.

Do you have any other plausible scenario as to how they might achieve that effect?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

what I found out interesting about the video at 0.08 seconds, is the cauldron is in place before it actually lights... so there goes the final torch bearer tilting the torch into the cauldron and it rising up already lit.... unless they do the cliche big steps rising so he/she can run up to that great height and light it... Atlanta already did the fireball on a string, Barcelona with the arrow... how else can they light it being so high?

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL VIDEO LINK

OF CAULDRON LIGHTING REHEARSAL

Seen from across Olympic Park

early this morning London Time

THE AT DEFINITELY IS THE CAULDRON'S FLAME POPPING UP AT 0:08 SECONDS

AT STADIUM ROOF LEVEL

AT TONIGHT'S OPENING CEREMONY, IT WILL BE CLEARLY SEEN BY THOSE OUTSIDE THE STADIUM AS WELL AS MOST INSIDE THE STADIUM.

Hello! Hope all is well with everyone!

This is exciting, but like many, this waiting is killing me... hahaha!

But while on youtube, I stumbled onto this video... and at 0:08 is that a light, or is that something else... right in the middle of the stadium, flickering?

Edited by AustralianFan

what I found out interesting about the video at 0.08 seconds, is the cauldron is in place before it actually lights... so there goes the final torch bearer tilting the torch into the cauldron and it rising up already lit.... unless they do the cliche big steps rising so he/she can run up to that great height and light it... Atlanta already did the fireball on a string, Barcelona with the arrow... how else can they light it being so high?

great question - it would be fantstic if they could create a flaming cyclone of gas that spins the flame upwards.

Since this might be the first time they are actually testing the gas & the flames onsite, they may have been calibrating the whole thing last night. What I mean by that, is that might NOT be the intended intensity of the flame, and they are still fiddling with the controls until they get it right. I can't imagine those tongues of fire will be shooting up 100 feet in the air. That seems like overkill. That's probably all that pent-up gas in the pipes waiting to be burned off--like they have to do with errant natural gas pumps.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1