London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Oh yeah, its deffo a big plus to have the wires for flying, especially without an underground area. Just tired of the zipwire cauldron lighting, ala Atlanta and Albertville.

It's just the easy way out.

• Like 1

Have a look at this Stadium photo downloaded today from the London 2012 website. I can't confirm how recent it is but if it is very up to date, then there have been some structural developments inside the Stadium. Does someone have an up to date satellite photo of inside the stadium?

There appear to be stages on both sides of the stadium. Also there is a T-shape connected walkway spanning the width of the Stadium, the central pier of which appears, from this angle, to be suspiciously aligned with the Orbit tower and, interestingly, also at the Orbit Tower end of the Stadium.

Of course we do not know what role, if any, the Orbit tower might or might not play in the Cauldron Lighting or the Opening Ceremony - just thought I'd mention it.

Actually, the Orbit itself is starting to look a bit 'bigger' around its top than it was in other recent April photos. Maybe just the observation facilities bulking up ........ ?

With or without a role in the Opening Ceremony and/or Cauldron lighting, it would be mighty hard to ignore the Orbit playing some sort of role, don't you think? It'd be like visiting a zoo and having this tall giraffe come up and stand next to you and then someone else nearby saying, "Just ignore it, the giraffe is not part of the zoo."

Perhaps the Orbit will have a role to play in some sort of lighting/laser effects and/or fireworks on the big night?

Was thinking last night that its always possible for the Orbit to play a role in reverse to what has been discussed in this forum and that the flame is transferred from the Orbit Tower to wherever the Cauldron is located. food for thought ....

1253274_M01.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

I can see your point with the Orbit tower, but using the zoo analogy, the giraffe was the gift of a circus clown and a millionaire fan, not part of the zookeeper's master plan.

Also, LOCOG long ago announced that Thomas Heatherwick would design the cauldron. So I don't see the Orbit as part of the menagerie. So to speak.

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/13331/thomas-heatherwick-to-design-2012-olympic-cauldron.html

• Like 3

I can see your point with the Orbit tower, but using the zoo analogy, the giraffe was the gift of a circus clown and a millionaire fan, not part of the zookeeper's master plan.

Also, LOCOG long ago announced that Thomas Heatherwick would design the cauldron. So I don't see the Orbit as part of the menagerie. So to speak.

http://www.designboo...c-cauldron.html

Perhaps :) But however it got there, it is there now, right next to the Stadium. Could you ignore a gorilla at the dinner table? Don't you think the Orbit tower will play some sort of role, major or minor in the Opening Ceremony, even if its just lighting or fireworks,?

For sure, Thomas Heatherwick is the publicly confirmed Cauldron designer but exactly where his baby finally sits is not confirmed. All we have are some possible leads.

Edited by AustralianFan

Food for thought ....

1253274_M01.jpg

Hey AustralianFan, looking at the picture above, it might be possible to have a zip line from the Orbit into the Stadium. Then the bearer could run up the tower, reach the top and 'for lack of the better word', "Zip" over into the stadium carrying the flame. As oppose to just entering the stadium on foot.

I do kinda miss that giant hole in the ground, but I guess 3 times in a row is not innovative. The hole doesn't have to be clever, just what comes out of it though.

I don't suppose they would ever imagine lighting the whole rim of the stadium on fire.... :D , that way, everyone in the stadium will get a view...

Edited by TorneroBlu

Is there underground chambers under the stadium field at all? Is it complete flat? I would imagine it will be inflexible to design a stadium with no moveable floor as this greatly restrict things they can do in the opening ceremony.

I agree Kev, its still quite possible that an underground area has been hidden from view for now.

Of the summer games, Atlanta, Athens & Beijing used underground theatrics in some way whereas Sydney and those up to and including Barcelona didn't.

Edited by AustralianFan

If there is no underground, the only way is to store all the props on the roof as someone suggested here and bring them down to the field. If not, probably there can be collapsible props that is like a chinese lantern, pulled up from flat packed on ground.

they don't need underground chambers per se - but there is a way around it ...

the layout of the studium during ceremony mode is quite different to anything seen before - maybe a slight nod to athens ...

That makes me curious. How is the layout different and how is it a nod to Athens?

With water on the field? Maybe they recreate the river Thames runs through the field that would be cool

What about taking this "Isles of Wonder"-thing serious and staging the action on, let's say, two islands in the (possible) water. Then this T shape could be for the parade of nations???

1253274_M01.jpg

I love the idea of an expedited parade of nations. It doesn't look to me like this stadium was designed with water capabilities. It would make sense with the Isles of Wonder theme though.

Might be so, yes. Does anybody know how long they have to prepare the stadium for the OC? If there is enough time, they could build there some sort of "pool wall" around the pitch and fill it with water. After the OC, this water could easily be "transported" to Lea and those pool walls could be removed.

But how would they drain all that water if they have no hole in the ground?

I think what Adrianme meant with "a slight nod to Athens" is that London chooses a new and innovative layout for the stadium -- and not that they'd take water again, which wouldn't be only a nod to but rather a copy of Athens. I thought at first they'd choose something very British, namely a cleanly cut lawn all over the field, including the tracks, the long jump pit etc.. But that wouldn't look very spectacular, I guess -- especially not since there is grass anyway on a stadium's infield.

Regarding the props: They really don't need a hole in the ground for bringing the props into the stadium. Just remember Sydney 2000 with all its props. Stadium Australia hadn't a hole in the ground either. I suppose they rolled in the props through the stadium's gates.

• Like 1

Well, I assume it should stay in during the ceremony. The athletes could be staged on the islands and the lectern could be on a stage (that on the right side of the stadium, beneath the video screens could be possible). And after the ceremony, there could be some temporary pipes or so installed between one of the entrances of the stadium and Lea...

Might be so, yes. Does anybody know how long they have to prepare the stadium for the OC? If there is enough time, they could build there some sort of "pool wall" around the pitch and fill it with water. After the OC, this water could easily be "transported" to Lea and those pool walls could be removed.

Rehearsals start in the stadium @ the beginning on june

A high water table is certainly no engineering impediment these days to designing & constructing a building with an underground area which is permanently waterproofed. There are many engineering examples of where a high water table has been overcome in building construction. Is there is an engineer online here, or someone here who knows one, who could perhaps be encouraged to add to this discussion (?)

I don't know either way but unless someone knows with 100% certainty that London's Stadium does or does not have an underground area, then I don't think we can rule anything in or out at this stage. The designers and engineers would have had to overcome water table issues to even successfuly lay the foundations of the London Stadium.

Is there someone know someone who knows someone involved in the construction of the stadium or someone involved in rehearsals who can shed some light on this?

Edited by AustralianFan

I think what Adrianme meant with "a slight nod to Athens" is that London chooses a new and innovative layout for the stadium -- and not that they'd take water again, which wouldn't be only a nod to but rather a copy of Athens. I thought at first they'd choose something very British, namely a cleanly cut lawn all over the field, including the tracks, the long jump pit etc.. But that wouldn't look very spectacular, I guess -- especially not since there is grass anyway on a stadium's infield.

Regarding the props: They really don't need a hole in the ground for bringing the props into the stadium. Just remember Sydney 2000 with all its props. Stadium Australia hadn't a hole in the ground either. I suppose they rolled in the props through the stadium's gates.

That was actually the way I interpreted Adranme's post -- not necessarily water. I'm still not really seeing echoes of Athens, but whatever.

I'm not expecting a pool.. I really dont know what to expect, but Danny Boyle has a strong visual sense, so I'm optimistic that it will be a unique and arresting environment.