London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Yes sorry about that, you're right guys. My were playing tricks on me. I was wrongly focussing on that smaller light above and to the right which looked like it was 'flickering', lol :D .

The flame appears to be roughly at stadium roof level in amongst the blue lights.

Edited by AustralianFan

I have that webcam on at the moment...the one from near the stadium. Stuff's definitely going on in there at the moment, although from looking at that video, we may be out of view of the cauldron by looking at it. I reckon they are practising the final moments as we speak.

I agree, the flame is not coming from the orbit, could it be transferred like doha 2006?,

i still think the orbit is such a strange coincidence, as much as I dont want it to be the cauldron.

Interestingly, the BBC's webcam looking over the Olympic Stadium stopped working in June 2011 - but the BBC's webcam looking over the Aquatics Centre still works. And so, there is a picture of the Olympic Stadium from 15 minutes ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/2012/newsid_8721000/8721105.stm

I love the idea of the Orbit skylight so people can see it from below. + I like the idea of the Orbit being the couldron anyway (see my London's Eiffel Tower jargon back a few pages).

And like AustralianFan I was looking at the light on the Orbit the first time I watched the video - though on the second time watching the flame in the stadium looks big.

So - maybe it is on the stadium and moves to the Orbit - or both.

If it was to move then perhaps that little cloud I mentioned or a laser would transport it.

Interestingly, the BBC's webcam looking over the Olympic Stadium stopped working in June 2011 - but the BBC's webcam looking over the Aquatics Centre still works. And so, there is a picture of the Olympic Stadium from 15 minutes ago:

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/8721105.stm

Thanks Hawk for this. Looks like the flame is on the stadium roof in this photo.

2012_99.jpg

Thanks Hawk for this. Looks like the flame is on the stadium roof in this photo.

Definitely looks flame-like.

BBC News (May be the same feed as World News) has the stadium behind the presenter - no sign of a flame. Just lots of flashing lights. Exciting!

I love the idea of the Orbit skylight so people can see it from below. + I like the idea of the Orbit being the couldron anyway (see my London's Eiffel Tower jargon back a few pages).

And like AustralianFan I was looking at the light on the Orbit the first time I watched the video - though on the second time watching the flame in the stadium looks big.

So - maybe it is on the stadium and moves to the Orbit - or both.

If it was to move then perhaps that little cloud I mentioned or a laser would transport it.

The only thing that kills this theory is that there was all the ugly services (air con etc) on the roof of the orbit observation deck. Unless this has been covered and prettified, it would seem a bit ugly in aerial shots.

2012_99.jpg

either that or it is going up the orbit inside the roller coaster track ala salt lake style. but definately more likely just in the stadium.

It would be amazing, if not impossible if the loop of the orbit pushed high pressure gas into the 'gap in the loop' between the observation deck and top of the orbit making a self suspending flame in the middle. (not much design work for heatherwick though and way too eye of sauron like).

Sorry guys its all too close, im getting giddy and ridiculous.

Ok so doing my evening scan (I am on the west coast of the US) I would like to say:

1, the salt lake city cauldron was simply mOved from the rim of the stadium to right next to the stadium. I saw it about a month ago.

2, in the video, the light seen on the orbit is probably one of those red lights for airplanes.