London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

the only other thing i have noticed is the possibility the cauldron may burst out of the Tor Hill (not up through the hole, but up out and out of the grass hill a bit lower down) -

if you look at the pic, they built the frame to the structure in such a way that there seems to be a square missing to the front of it. being an architect, i feel that it would have been easier to just square off the frame, so they have purposely made a gap to allow for something.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q530/gpsat12/01b.jpg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

Does anyone know which is the 'Podium Level' inside the Olympic Stadium ?

I'm guessing the Podium Level is the Upper Tier that encircles the Stadium, but I have no idea (or is it a special VIPs area? )

The Podium Level was from where the Cauldron was seen being tested by two Opening Ceremony performers earlier.

FDL didn't say that the cauldron was on the Podium Level. WHat she said was that they snuck into the Podium level and had a glimpse of the Lighting from there.

In order to access the Orbit you need a ticket for an Olympic event in the park on that day, plus an extra Orbit ticket (£14), so not really freeloaders!

Alright, but that still doesn't give you the full right to view an Athletics event if you have a ticket only for Basketball or Swimming or something else. That's all that I'm saying.

The Ceiling

The stadium has a ceiling of overhead wires.

Anything much larger than a person will not physically be able to get through this.

Any flame getting close to the wires will likely melt them.

I agree. They need a lot of those cables for cablecams, etc., & they can't have any snapping because it would probably compromise the whole network.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The big problem with ideas of the Cauldron rising up from the centre hole, or anywhere inside the Stadium, is how do they get it through the complex network of theatrical flying wires currently strung everywhere over the arena ?

The big question relating to the wires is how 'James Bond' will parachute in.

When they did the little bond theme section and a helicopter appearing over the stadium during the rehearsal - I'm there staring up expecting somebody to appear (they skipped the scene) and just thinking how the hell anyone would get through the wires. It will be a tight squeeze if he does get in.

When they did the little bond theme section and a helicopter appearing over the stadium during the rehearsal - I'm there staring up expecting somebody to appear (they skipped the scene) and just thinking how the hell anyone would get through the wires. It will be a tight squeeze if he does get in.

Maybe he will land on the ledge above the Tor.....

Really, will they do that? As you said, how do you get thru the web of wires? Plus, the stage is already set for the Green/Pleasant number. Wouldn't a parachute snag many elements of the set? I think that idea was probably...to use a pun, dropped.

Does anyone know which is the 'Podium Level' inside the Olympic Stadium ?

I'm guessing the Podium Level is the Upper Tier that encircles the Stadium, but I have no idea (or is it a special VIPs area? )

The Podium Level was from where the Cauldron was seen being tested by two Opening Ceremony performers earlier.

FDL didn't say that the cauldron was on the Podium Level. WHat she said was that they snuck into the Podium level and had a glimpse of the Lighting from there.

Read it again. I didn't say the Cauldron was on the Podium Level, you wrote that in your reply.

I said that the Podium level was from where they saw it.

So where is the Podium Level, does anyone know ? I want to know where exactly they were standing in the Stadium when they saw it being tested.

We may not know this answer until after the OC and they can talk about it openly.

Edited by AustralianFan

Really, will they do that? As you said, how do you get thru the web of wires? Plus, the stage is already set for the Green/Pleasant number. Wouldn't a parachute snag many elements of the set? I think that idea was probably...to use a pun, dropped.

Well, firsly the countyside gets cleared away very quickly - as it turns into the industrial revolution. That scene is AMAZING. and I was very surprised at how quickly the green/pleasant stuff got cleared away. Seriously - its crazy. The grass gets rolled up and everything dismantled. At the time of me leaving at the end the entire stage was completely cleared away. - empty.

Secondly - a helicopter appeared above - there was already the one filming - but this was another one which was lower. On the screen a VT starting playing and it only lasted a few seconds before they turned it off - but it actually looked like the boss from Spooks* - But that could have been my imagination. The lighting around the stadium went union jack colours and the Bond theme started playing. It was clear that they simply weren't going to rehearse that section and they simply moved on to the next.

*Spooks is a British TV show set in MI5 (or Mi6 - one of the 2)

Hello! Hope all is well with everyone!

This is exciting, but like many, this waiting is killing me... hahaha!

But while on youtube, I stumbled onto this video... and at 0:08 is that a light, or is that something else... right in the middle of the stadium, flickering?

But while on youtube, I stumbled onto this video... and at 0:08 is that a light, or is that something else... right in the middle of the stadium, flickering?

And there you have it its visible outside of the stadium!!

Interesting....

Thanks for this video JK92boy. Yes the flame appears to be outside the Stadium.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is that flickering flame on top of the loop of the Orbit ?

Edited by AustralianFan

Been going through all my photos from Sydney this morning, getting excited for this time tomorrow...

Here's a pic of the Sydney cauldron from behind the stadium. Can't wait to see what London do!

3f779c0c.jpg

59106fa3.jpg

I didn't mean to include that second pic, but it got included anyway - I was 9yo, there for one of the athletics sessions. Exciting times.

It is a big relief that we may now know at least that there is a cauldron and that it is being tested. It was obvious that the cauldron would not be tested during the dress rehearsal(too many people that would leak the secret). It is best that they wait until almost everybody left. My guess they will probably will test it once more tonight or early in the morning. The advantage of the nightime is that they can sneak the person or persons in who will light it and go through entire sequence of the cauldron . I remember the story of 1996 when they snuck Mohammed Ali into Centennial Olympic Stadium in the nightime using only a flashlight to guide him. I am sure they will pull it off.

I've been wondering too, but it sounds like a key part of the concept. What's the point of having Bond film footage and a helicopter if he doesn't parachute in? No idea what they'll do about the wires....

Yes it looks like the flame is on the top of the Orbit Tower Loop in the video,

When the fireworks go off you can see the silouhette of the loop against the fireworks and this definite flickering flame perched right on top of it.

Thanks to jky92 for posting it.

Have a look at it guys. Where is that flame? It appears to be outside the stadium and at this angle above the roof stadium level.

Edited by AustralianFan

Yes it looks like the flame is on the top of the Orbit Tower Loop in the video,

When the fireworks go off you can see the silouhette of the loop against the fireworks and this definite flickering flame perched right on top of it.

Have a look at it guys. Where is that flame? It appears to be outside the stadium and at this angle above the roof stadium level.

I think you're looking at the wrong thing!

We are looking at the flame that appears 8 seconds in directing in the middle of the stadium itself.

Sorry if someone has said this already (haven't looked at this forum the last few days - trying at least)

As we noted by a few before(in the photo I attached ages ago), the skylight on orbit roof shows an area that one can look up at the flame from the observation deck. In other footage I have seen that the skylight is mirrored underneath the observation deck of the orbit, the idea im sure is so one can look up from the ground at the base of the orbit and see through the glass floor and skylight as see the flame above.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A8BC41CF688E70F9!2102

Either way, Its been great speculating with you all, no more spoilers for me, everyone enjoy the show.