London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and it went off without a hitch!

I did have flashbacks to Vancouver when I realised we had 204 parts to raise.

So is the water wheel the cauldron?

Like maybe it could turn or something and raise? :o

Was it right there the whole time?...

I kept my eye on that during the ceremony and was beginning to think the wheel might at least be involved in lighting it, but once the petals appeared it was kind of obvious, although I thought they'd be kind of stacked around the tree in some way.

So can I take it even though some people worked it out as soon as the tickets were released that actually the cauldron remained a secret until the reveal (I've kept out of this thread this week and far too many pages to catch up on!). And even with the ceremony done we don't know where it'll end up - I think it might be in the centre of London rather than Olympic Park, though hope I'm wrong.

I liked some parts of the Ceremony.....

The Opening scene was difficult to follow at the start....but I really enjoy it, and the Olympic Rings at the end was brilliant!

The Queen and James Bond was funny

The NHS section was enjoyable.....but I didn;t like the opening couple of minutes, and at the end with the weird baby in the middle.

After that I think the Ceremony lost the plot!------at the end of the day it is an OPENING ceremony and NOT a CLOSING ceremony!!!!

The Cauldron was very nice......but it should ALWAYS be lit in the final place that it will remain in! and should have been much TALLER!

Also I think a true OLYMPIAN should have lit the cauldron.......only an Olympian can "Inspire a Generation" not random kids that no body knows....and who may never win a GOLD.......confused how it inspires, when they have achieved something unique, without having achieved anything yet.

:(:wacko::blink:

Amazing cauldron. Looks fantastic - especially when they show the camera show from the centre looking up.

Great idea to have 7 Olympians nominate 7 youngsters to light it - perfectly fits the 'Inspire a Generation' tag line.

Okay, heaps better then Beijing's, Athens' or Atlanta's. Up there with Barcelona's and Sydney's as my favourite Cauldron and lighting.

Seriously? I found it ugly and a tad lackluster. I guess most of it stemmed from the choice of cauldron lighter(s). It should have been someone iconic and famous.

Seriously? I found it ugly and a tad lackluster. I guess most of it stemmed from the choice of cauldron lighter(s). It should have been someone iconic and famous.

Honestly, when it comes to cauldrons and lightings, I thought Beijing's was contrived, Athens a joint, and Atlanta's award and ugly. London's wasn't a "wow" lighting moment, like Sydney's or Barcelona's, but I liked the nominated youth doing it. And the cauldron itself I find beautiful and meaningful.

Amazing cauldron. Looks fantastic - especially when they show the camera show from the centre looking up.

Great idea to have 7 Olympians nominate 7 youngsters to light it - perfectly fits the 'Inspire a Generation' tag line.

Agree

Honestly, when it comes to cauldrons and lightings, I thought Beijing's was contrived, Athens a joint, and Atlanta's award and ugly. London's wasn't a "wow" lighting moment, like Sydney's or Barcelona's, but I liked the nominated youth doing it. And the cauldron itself I find beautiful and meaningful.

Why yes, come back in a couple of days time after hearing news reports of children all over the world burning flowers. ;)

Archived