London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

A beautiful idea to light it at the same time! Just imagine if they did it with all still-existing Olympic cauldrons around the world!

I will light my kitchen stove and stogie (that's a cigar) at precisely the same moment to be in spirit with Sydney & London. The energy will flow thru my home in the San Francisco Bay Area!! :lol:

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

Just been watching the BBC news, maybe clutching at straws now lol, but anyone know what this is behind the presenters head to the left? It was there the whole time, even when the camera moved so it isnt a reflection I dont think. It looks like a ferris wheel or something.

cauldron.jpg

Just been watching the BBC news, maybe clutching at straws now lol, but anyone know what this is behind the presenters head to the left? It was there the whole time, even when the camera moved so it isnt a reflection I dont think. It looks like a ferris wheel or something.

cauldron.jpg

I noticed this too and was confused. It wasn't a reflection, it didn't move when the camera did and was visible from multiple angles. I'm pretty sure it's not the rings, as they were horizontal. This looks to be a blue circle, vertical on the roof of the stadium. During the news actually, you could still see the lights flashing inside... they're still practicing!

Still another circle on the roof?? :blink: It's either that guy just had a blue rinse job or an apparition. I mean, what's a blue circle. ANd one of our on-site informants has already confirmed that's it's visible from within the scope of the stadium. Can't be that. :wacko:

I couldn't hold my nerve and had to come back in here.

So it looks like it is indeed inside the stadium somewhere and will stay there?

Well, I'll be honest and say it's hard for me to imagine a truly spectacular lighting for a cauldron that'll remain inside or even a cauldron design that somehow aesthetically makes sense inside the stadium. Seoul's was simple and classically shaped so it worked. Heatherwick's will probably be very sculptural and conceptual... Will that look good right in the middle of an 'athletics' environment?

Regardless, this is still very intriguing. Less than 24 hours now!

Hi Guys ,

I'm new here but i followed the hole discussion of the cauldron location. A few Moments ago I found this picture which I never saw before ...

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2qx1b29.jpg

Do we have our cauldron location or is it fake (left side) ? Hard so say for me ... But there is a Ramp near the glowing thing , I am confused :blink::unsure:

cauldron.jpg

i think this is the ferris wheel in Victoria Park which sits behind the stadium....they have a load of stuff there!!

Hi Guys ,

I'm new here but i followed the hole discussion of the cauldron location. A few Moments ago I found this picture which I never saw before ...

Do we have our cauldron location or is it fake (left side) ? Hard so say for me ... But there is a Ramp near the glowing thing , I am confused :blink::unsure:

Welcome, Cody.

Ramp? Glowing thing? Where? What part of the foto?

i think this is the ferris wheel in Victoria Park which sits behind the stadium....they have a load of stuff there!!

That's what I thot -- belonging to something else.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Hi Guys ,

I think I see where you mean Cody- the underside of the Orbit observation deck?

Ah ok daveb81, thanks for that, I thought it looked something like that but you never know.

OK I give up! im finally admitting defeat like lots of others here. Its probably in the stadium. lol.

Just have to wait till almost this time tomorrow to find out then!

I think I see where you mean Cody- the underside of the Orbit observation deck?

I saw that too. But it's too enclosed. It should be higher. But that could be the outside cauldron. It really didn't make sense to put up another tower just several meters away from that thing. Or maybe the Orbit is having their OWN cauldron -- regardless of what's going on inside the stadium.

here is another picture , i marked the glowing thing and the platform/ramp

i never saw a ramp/platform there before ... it coud be the final position for the cualdron , after it's lightning in the stadium because somewhere the cauldron must be seen by the public , right ? and there is no other building where it can be lift up ... BUT it's all speculations ;)

Sorry for my bad english ;)

j5y3yv.jpg

The platform seems to be new indeed (unless it's an optical illusion), but the Orbit had that red glow below its spectator platform already much earlier, when the stadium's wrap wasn't up yet:

086-orbit-architectural-photography-night_thumb.jpg

And folks, did you really believe they will install a flame right below the spectators' feet? By the way: What happened to Lakshmi Mittal's statement that the Orbit won't be the cauldron? I thought that this would put all that speculation about the Orbit to its final rest.

• Like 1

And folks, did you really believe they will install a flame right below the spectators' feet?

Personally I was thinking more along the lines that if the cauldron was in fact there, it could be hidden under the observation deck then slide out onto the platform which has been added.

The Orbit all but killed any chances for another cauldron tower because the whole concept would have been redundant. But you can't do a great ceremony if you immediately 'honor' the Orbit placement for July 27. It would have to be after. (But there will be the "inside" one on the stadium floor.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The platform seems to be new indeed (unless it's an optical illusion), but the Orbit had that red glow below its spectator platform already much earlier, when the stadium's wrap wasn't up yet:

086-orbit-architectural-photography-night_thumb.jpg

And folks, did you really believe they will install a flame right below the spectators' feet? By the way: What happened to Lakshmi Mittal's statement that the Orbit won't be the cauldron? I thought that this would put all that speculation about the Orbit to its final rest.

They have said The Orbit WASN'T the cauldron, we know that is designed by Heatherwick, but nobody has ever confirmed that Heatherwick's design wouldn't be places ON Orbit. I think it's fair to say this is a modern day miracle keeping it secret so long!

Maybe putting the cauldron (whichever one it will be, the official one or a non-Heatherwick one) there is meant to block people on the orbit's deck from looking into events inside Oly Stadium?? After all, they would be getting a peek into events going on there?? So maybe a trade-off was worked out, Orbit would get the honor to 'host' a cauldron, but it will block free-loaders' view of the stadium inside??

Edited by baron-pierreIV