London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

If what is reportes by ATR is indeed true, and it is only visible inside the stadium it will be the biggest dissapointment ever!

Really! one of the biggest, if not the biggest symbol of the olympic games and it is only visible to those lucky enough to have tickets!

To me the Olympic flame should be visible to all! (even if it is on the Orbit :P)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

That gap is the VIP section. The back of the Tor has the wrap for sure - I've walked through it; it's at 149/150 The VIP non-wrap starts at about section 104 - they'd be cricking their necks round to 7 o'clock to see anything in that direction.

That's interesting as the angle of the photo is deceptive, the apex of the waterways looks to be about where the wrap gap is just in the photo.

quote from ATR

ATR

. "Sources close to the situation ?". This story sounds too flimsy to be credible. I for one do not accept this 'rumour' which at this stage is nothing more than that - an unsubstantiated rumour (hogwash in other words). The PM does not get involved in Cauldron lighting approvals if it's a standard cauldron lighting within the stadium. Until firm evidence emerges to the contrary, then I believe London is still going for a unconventional Cauldron lighting in a position able to be see by most in the stadium and Olympic Park. It may be on the roof edge or external to the stadium. The IOC of all the organisations at the Games are not usually in the business of leaking any info whatsoever about the Cauldron of all things. Edited by AustralianFan

sorry if this has already been covered, i thought that the PM was consulted regarding the size of the budget of the ceremonies, do we specifically know if it was about the lighting method and cauldron?

That's interesting as the angle of the photo is deceptive, the apex of the waterways looks to be about where the wrap gap is just in the photo.

. "Sources close to the situation ?". This story sounds too flimsy to be credible. No names, places or dates are mentioned. Anyone could have made this story up. I for one do not accept this 'rumour' which at this stage is nothing more than that - an unsubstantiated rumour (hogwash in other words). The PM does not get involved in Cauldron lighting approvals if it's a standard cauldron lighting within the stadium. Until firm evidence emerges to the contrary, then I believe London is still going for a unique an unconventional Cauldron lighting in a position able to be see by most in the stadium and Olympic Park.

. "Sources close to the situation ?". This story sounds too flimsy to be credible. No names, places or dates are mentioned. Anyone could have made this story up. I for one do not accept this 'rumour' which at this stage is nothing more than that - an unsubstantiated rumour (hogwash in other words). The PM does not get involved in Cauldron lighting approvals if it's a standard cauldron lighting within the stadium. Until firm evidence emerges to the contrary, then I believe London is still going for a unique an unconventional Cauldron lighting in a position able to be see by most in the stadium and Olympic Park.

It's Around the Rings. It's pretty reliable.

And one source is the IOC commission chair, so I'm not sure what more you are looking for.

Edited by nykfan845

well, that's what I've been saying lately. It is in that hole in center field...and then it looks like it will just be moved somewhere a little higher w/in the stadium's bowl. So they did select to use the gas lines installed w/in the stadium. You guys were as crazy as jackrabbits looking all over the place!! :lol:

sorry if this has already been covered, i thought that the PM was consulted regarding the size of the budget of the ceremonies, do we specifically know if it was about the lighting method and cauldron?

The consultation was: Sorry, PM, we ain't gonna have a BIG cauldron that competes w/ the wacky Orbit. We'll just have a mini-Me cauldron. You OK with that?

PM Cameron: I guess so.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

For goodness sake, the IOC never never leak info about the Cauldron especially 2 days before the Opening Ceremony of an Olympic Games. Don't believe everything you read, this story flies in the face of all the IOC's actions to keep critical OC and Cauldron details like this confidential. The IOC have already blocked several YouTube video clips of rehearsals in the last 48 hours. I think that story is completely FALSE about the IOC Coordination Commission Chairperson supposedly leaking to "someone" confidential details about their own Host City's Cauldron. It sounds so ridiculous, it defies belief.

Edited by AustralianFan

And since it looks like it will be a small one, that ledge over the Tree/Tor area looks very much the Mini-Me cauldron's Games-time resting place.

I'm totally OK with a small cauldron. I mean the obsession with another giant tower was too much.

Now the question is: Who and what will the lighting manner be, since it's just rising from the ground? I think nothing spectacular. Just very simple...like the Games of the 50s and 60s. That's why there have been NO spectacular rehearsals as well. They're probably rehearsing the simple bit at a mock-up at the 3 Mills studios.

And, of course, they're hoping that the hydraulic mechanism for the center hole won't do a Sydney-Vancouver m.o.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well I think that with two days to go there is only one thing to say!

Who'd like a cup of tea then?

Actually, the cauldron itself might be in the form of a teacup, no??? Or maybe Lighter will light like a large teapot...then the teapot bends over and "lights" the teacup?? It's all vedy, vedy Bringlish as the jabberwocky might say.

Oh I know, Her Majesty will don a jetpack...and then will be lifted from her VIP seat and land on center stage and light the teapot! Now, that'll be SPECTACULAR!! :D

Edited by baron-pierreIV

There are many spots in the stadium where a cauldron could appear. The stage is covered in trap doors, the bell looks like it is movable, the grass hill could host a cauldron.... It could be carried out through any of the entrances or it could be lifted to float over the atheletes.

I tend to think it will be lifted -or part of it lifted- over the atheletes, mainly because there is a heavy duty looking pair or cables with a running track that is separate to the other over head wires. These wires stretch from the bell to the grassy hill. The look like they are designed to carry something very heavy.

Anyhow, I can wait to see what Heatherwick and Boyle have dreamed up.

. Yes the translated article by Alberto Lati about his interview with Cauldron Designer Thomas Heatherwick is about 6 - 8 pages or so back. In that interview, Heatherwick said he obtained PM David Cameron's permission for the lighting of the Cauldron. Edited by AustralianFan

Guys, dont get sucked in by that ridiculous earlier Around The Rings rumour supposedly quoting the IOC Coordination Chairperson saying this and that about the Cauldron being inside the stadium and all that other Hogwash he was supposed to have said. THE IOC JUST DO NOT DO THAT - leak like a sieve about the Cauldron of their own Host City with which they have signed a Contract.

Edited by AustralianFan

Haven't read the last two pages of this thread now that we got some concrete news.

So bye, everyone! Enjoy!

. Nothing Concrete about that story at all, It does not make sense that the IOC would spill the beans about the Cauldron like that.

. It does not make sense that the IOC would spill the beans about the Cauldron like that.

Why not, Aussie? It's not like it's some state secret. It's only a small ceremonial angle. I mean if there was a 1st-time LIghting the flame, first time they introduced gold medals, first time they introduced electronic timing, etc., etc., why can't they have a 1st time down-sizing of the Olympic flame? Maybe it signals a more austerity-minded IOC? After all, the 3 cauldrons in Innsbruck were lit for only like 1.5- 2 minutes. So, isn't all of that enuf of a signal that all these flamey and other extravagances of the Olympics be downscaled to something more reasonable?

After Athens & Beijing, they put their foot down on the global Torch Relays. They are seriously monitoring the expenditures of the three 2020 bidding cities to within reason. They KNOW the euro and the world economy are still shakey. So why not a smaller flame? And if a senior IOC member talks out of turn, there is an immediate denial or rebuke from the organization. That hasn't come out yet.

And the main thing is: it's what? less than 48 hours until takeoff, where is your tower?

P.S.@ nu4m, seems to be hovering here like a moth around a flame. U're new here, so you don't know all the fora. Anyway, check this thread out

http://www.gamesbids...-function-list/

just to let you know that your posts, coherent or not, more the latter, are purposely SHUT OUT of my screen. Saves my eyesight. ;) So as far, I am concerned, you are a mere blip at the bottom of my GB screen. Ciao 2 u.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

AustralianFan, I have to agree with you. This means nothing yet. People are talking like this is the firm evidence we have been looking for and leaving the thread. This could still be rumours, no matter how reputable that website is (and I dont know if it is or not).

Untill I see an actual cauldron I am scepticle of any news like this. I may have to wait till Friday night for that!

• Like 1

Why not, Aussie? It's not like it's some state secret.

The International Olympic Committee do not splash Cauldron information around before a Games, Period. They just don't. They remain tight lipped. Unless of course they have chosen the London 2012 Games to, after all these years, suddenly do a 180 degree turnabout and no longer protect the integrity and confidentiality of their own Host City's Opening Ceremony and Cauldron plans. I've no idea where the Cauldron will be. Nor does the Around The Rings website.

The International Olympic Committee do not splash Cauldron information around before a Games, Period. They just don't. They remain tight lipped.

The IOC is made up of human beings. Human beings make mistakes. And membership in the IOC is not based on an individual's tact or sense of responsibility; more often than not, it's based on bloodline. The point being, these people are not infallible. Just because they've been successful in keeping secrets in the past doesn't mean they are incapable of leaking.

Even if you assume that all IOC members will exercise discipline, one has to think that it's more than just the IOC membership that has knowledge of cauldron details. Include top LOCOG brass, Danny Boyle's staff, OBS staff, and more. When you consider all the people that need to cooperate to get something like this done - and that it takes just one leaker to blow the secret - it's not surprising at all that ATR got this scoop.