London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading this thread atm and looking up all the pics on the web and where is the location of the London 2012 Olympic Cauldron and how will it be lit?

For Sydney it was in the middle of the stage on one of the ends of Stadium Australia until the very last minute.

I think you may be onto something Baron... just a few questions - how do you set the city section of the stage alight without setting the whole stadium into a burning inferno? The stage looked to be on scaffolding, perhaps a metal surface...

also where are the athletes in this scenario? in the lower section next to the burning city surface? In most summer games ceremonies, once they get the athletes in, the athletes normally take up the entire center section and leave the running track for the torch to run around. So if the athletes are in the lower section, I am not sure how they will get the torch to do a lap around the stadium before they unveil the cauldron lighting. Interested in your thoughts! :)

I thought about that. With the # of cast members they have. They can have about 40 people stationed all around the stage on the lower platform, with fire extinguishers on the ready. That should be enough to contain the blaze...which would be a 'highly contained' conflagration.

In either scenario, river or city, the athletes would have to be in the 'moat' section for the effect to work; and I think on a # of bodies-squeezed-in-per-sqm ratio, they have figured out that they can fit 9,000+ bodies in the surrounding, lower 'moat' area.

http://static.guim.c...-Olympi-001.jpg

THere are entrances for the final set of torchbearers--and or they would emerge from the Tor, and go down the hillside. They would do their lap in the upper part of the stage. Just go around that, and get into position.

The big problem with ideas of the Cauldron rising up from the centre hole, or anywhere inside the Stadium, is how do they get it through the complex network of theatrical flying wires currently strung everywhere over the arena ?

The center cauldron would not rise to the 75-ft height of the overhead network of wires. Even raising the cauldron to 25-ft only would be high enough. That's like a 2.5-storey bldg. vs, a 6 ft-person. There's no need for it to go higher. It would just be like a candle on a giant birthday cake.

OK...sort of just got 'confirmation' from my contact inside Ceremonies. She said, upon presentation of my guess scenario to her"...pls, I admire your creativity but if I say anything about the cauldron, it might cost me my job. Besides, I wouldn't want to ruin it for you." So...I can only infer from the very guarded tone of her reply that I think I've almost hit the nail on the head. So, we're on to something, guys.

( ... what would be the point of that ? ) just asking

Why would they not have just one Cauldron on the northern side of the Stadium, light it and leave it there ?

The only explanation I can think of is that the method of lighting the cauldron can only be done inside the stadium?

I can't say much, but I've had strong hints from someone who knows.

It makes sense too. You wouldn't want it lit outside the stadium, because then not everyone inside the stadium would see it. But you would also want it outside the stadium so that the park could see it. Why leave a flame inside a stadium that's empty for the first week of the games?

The Sydney cauldron was lit in a pool of water at a 'low' level, then lift up onto its plinth because the 2 roof structures obstructed the view of the cauldron in its final spot on the top of the north stand. The whole stadium got to see the lighting.

Why leave a flame inside a stadium that's empty for the first week of the games?

People will be going to see the events...NOT the flame. Having a flame there is really incidental.

If I had tickets for a 2nd day event, just because I didn't see the flame, would that lessen my enjoyment of the competition? What about the off-site soccer competition, the sailing? So are they 2nd-class events because they are not within sight of 'the Olympic flame'? :rolleyes:

People will be going to see the events...NOT the flame. Having a flame there is really incidental.

If I had tickets for a 2nd day event, just because I didn't see the flame, would that lessen my enjoyment of the competition? What about the off-site soccer competition, the sailing? So are they 2nd-class events because they are not within sight of 'the Olympic flame'? :rolleyes:

Haha, alright, I hadn't thought of that, you're right.

It's definitely not outside the stadium.

If that was the case there had to be evidence right now for that.

It's not on the roof I think.. we cannot find any constructions.. and also I think they need to rehearse that (like Sydney and Beijing).

So it's inside the stadium I think. Unless there really is a big surprise.

What about a stand in cauldron in the stadium. For instance, they have the river and a small mock-up of the tower bridge appears along with the stadium cauldron. As the fire hits that part of the tower bridge mock-up, a larger cauldron on the bridge is lit. There could be two cauldrons with this method -- one inside the stadium and one outside. It also could be another landmark on the side of the Thames (eg Tower of London).

After all the publicity and fuss surrounding the torch relay and the importance this has been given in the media and TV news since it was ignited in Greece I really think there will be a big surprise regarding the cauldron and/or the lighting, it will be something that we aren't expecting I'm sure. Who knows what is going on in that stadium today and tomorrow before the OC?

Meaning I find it hard to very hard to believe that, Mr Denis Oswald, one of the contenders to be elected as the new IOC President when Dr Rogge's term ends some time after these Games, has allegedly been "quoted" by some "unknown person" on ATR leaking some information about the London Cauldron - the very Games of which he is the IOC Coordination Commission Chairperson and has overseen the organisation of from the beginning.

Until concrete and believable evidence to the contrary surfaces, I believe Mr Oswald has maintained confidential the details of the London Summer Games Cauldron, including any details about it's likely location and it's visibility within the Olympic Park.

Okay, fair enough. I disagree, obviously. He's just said it won't be seen outside the stadium, which really doesn't reveal too much. If he revealed how it would be lit or who lit it, then I'd be shocked. But revealing something so minor as it won't be seen outside is not grounds for shock, horror.

I am convinced the ATR article is accurate. And I believe that Oswald is the source. AND I don't believe he has done anything wrong.

She said, upon presentation of my guess scenario to her"...pls, I admire your creativity but if I say anything about the cauldron, it might cost me my job. Besides, I wouldn't want to ruin it for you." So...I can only infer from the very guarded tone of her reply that I think I've almost hit the nail on the head. So, we're on to something, guys.

See, I'd say her response was pretty vague and didn't really give anything away at all. *shrug*

Am I right in thinking that the last cauldron to be visible only inside the stadium would be Seoul's in 1988?

You are right. And Montreal 1976 before that.

I even think Seoul 1988 and Montreal 1976 are the only summer games with a cauldron only visible inside the Olympic stadium?

Until concrete and believable evidence to the contrary surfaces, I believe Mr Oswald has maintained confidential the details of the London Summer Games Cauldron, including any details about it's likely location and it's visibility within the Olympic Park.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but you still haven't answered the key question: Why in the world would ATR want to falsely quote a top IOC official? It's not like this quote appeared on some random person's blog or twitter feed. ATR is not a fly-by-night operation; it is one of the foremost privately-run industry publications concerning the Olympic Movement. It stands to lose its reputation - and, perhaps more importantly, its access in the future to Olympic movers-and-shakers - if it prints fabricated quotes by IOC members.

Frankly, I too would not have expected Oswald to divulge any details about the cauldron (even a minor detail like where it is visible from). So, in a sense, the report is not "believeable." But I find it clearly even less believable that ATR would risk its entire business to publish an unsubstantiated quote.

(By the way, can you give an example of what you would consider to be "concrete and believable evidence"? Would it have to be video footage of Oswald saying what was attributed to him? What if his quote was reported in the BBC; would you believe it then?)

Archived