London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

That said, I wouldn't be quite so confident about YOG's staying power. The world media greeted both Singapore and Innsbruck with crickets. It is a drain on the IOC's coffers. It is a pet project of Rogge and the rest of the IOC is well-known for clumsy attempts to appeal to young people (beach volleyball, anyone?). Give it another few cycles and we'll see how willing they are to keep financing this luxury.

Thats what people were probably saying when the modern era of the Olympic Movement was trying to get off the ground fro 1896 onwards. Look where it is now.

The Youth Olympic Games are the latest development in the evolution of the modern Olympic movement.

The amount of media coverage is not a validator for the Youth Olympic Games

Media coverage? Its nothing to do with media coverage. Its all about our younger and more vulnerable athletes.

The Youth Olympic Games are all about our younger developing athletes and bringing them up to speed with the conditions of the senior Olympic Games, to bridge that huge gap that has seen raw exploitation of our kids in the past by pushing them to fast too soon, and sometimes illegally, toward and into the senior Olympic Games.

Guys, your "three-times host city" has gotten to a point where you hijack this thread and obstruct any discussion about the original topic. If that "three-times" thing is so important for you, could you open a separate thread for it? Thank you!

There is no hijacking and there is no discussion of the Cauldron because there is no clues that have come up, not since the photos of this possible tower currently under construction popped up. Nothing since.

But as that suspicious area gets more photos taken of it, more discussion will arise. Until another clue pops up, the thread will always wander around the topic. Thats the way it has been from the beginning. It is a forum after all.

Edited by AustralianFan

Incidentally, the whole reason for this debate is asking whether London might have a three-part cauldron since they are the first three-time host.

A Cauldron was lit at the 1948 London Games, not the 1908 edition.

I'd like to see the '48 one make a a cameo appearance but it looks like it might be staying at Wembley.

Edited by AustralianFan

It's as if people don't know that they can start new threads. My god.

Honestly. It's annoying logging onto the forum and finding that this thread has had a spurt growth in pages and in turn reasonably expecting some new, interesting cauldron development only to find the continuation of some stupid argument that no one will ever win.

Irritating.

• Like 2

The amount of media coverage is not a validator for the Youth Olympic Games

Media coverage? Its nothing to do with media coverage. Its all about our younger and more vulnerable athletes.

While the IOC is using the US as their piggy bank they can afford to lose money on the YOGs. If that ever stops -- forget it. Lack of media is lack of money and lack of prestige. Who will bid to host that?

As for taking advantage of children, what about the sports where athletes peak before they're Olympic-eligible -- such as figure skating and gymnastics? Do you honestly think that the 16 year old girls competing in London were not working every bit as hard when they were 14 or 12? It's the training that impacts childhood -- not the competition. By raising the age of competitors, the IOC is just hiding the work that these athletes are doing in training as young kids. All that work will happen regardless. If they're ready to compete with the world's best (and want to) why not let them?

And if the YOGs are so legitimate and equal to the Olympic Games, then aren't they just re-introducing and extending further the concept of childhood career athletes? Something you seem to frown on?

OK, after skimming three or four pages of this ridiculous 'who's third?' argument, I have go back and ask the same question...What is this?

Random decor in the park. Kind of interesting, but certainly nothing to do with the cauldron. LA had their own version of such decorative towers.

There is no hijacking and there is no discussion of the Cauldron because there is no clues that have come up, not since the photos of this possible tower currently under construction popped up. Nothing since.

But as that suspicious area gets more photos taken of it, more discussion will arise. Until another clue pops up, the thread will always wander around the topic. Thats the way it has been from the beginning. It is a forum after all.

Excuse me, but we had a new discussion going due to those pictures of that area near the generators barge. How do you come to the conclusion that we aren't having a discussion about the cauldron?

Additionally, I find that (especially Athensfan's) approach very strange: "Oh, you don't seem to find the cauldron location, so now let's start a discussion which has absolutely nothing to do with the original topic. Who cares?"

Well, I and apparently several others here do care. Even if we don't find the cauldron location, we can discuss about it. And we'd like to discuss it without being patronised just because we remind of the original topic and ask for shifting off-topic discussions to a separate thread. We just ask for something that is actually part of netiquette.

Excuse me, but we had a new discussion going due to those pictures of that area near the generators barge. How do you come to the conclusion that we aren't having a discussion about the cauldron?

and you might go back and see that that discussion stopped dead in it's tracks some time ago.

anyone who can type and with a keyboard can contribute at any time. There is no-one with magical powers stopping anyone from having their say.

Have never heard of the Youth Olympic Games, and I doubt most people have.

Thats fine, in time will people will get used to them. They are junior to the Senior Games and only one edition of the Summer version has occurred in Singapore in 2010 and the WInter Youth Olympics in Innsbruck 2012.

Plenty of info and pictures, videos on the IOC website and youtube, etc about them.

Edited by AustralianFan

As I just said, all this came from the cauldron. Will there be three because London is the first three time host? It is a natural outgrowth of that. This barge conversation has happened multiple times before. Months ago, weeks ago and now once again. Nobody has any more clarity now than they did before, so why not let the tangent play out until there's actually a discovery?

and you might go back and see that that discussion stopped dead in it's tracks some time ago.

anyone who can type and with a keyboard can contribute at any time. There is no-one with magical powers stopping anyone from having their say.

Precisely, and then if one opens up a new topic--somebody blurts out: You opened up another thread just for that?

Just go with the flow, folks!! So what if it deviates now and then? U can find your way back, can't you?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Innsbruck = 2.5x Winter Olympics host...BEFORE London. London = 1st 3x Summer host.

Everyone satisfied?

when people say "olympics" you think summer olympics. end of story. people have to specify "winter olympics" for the winter ones, and to be totally honest, i had never heard of the youth olympics until i started reading this thread. "olympics" = summer olympics unless stated otherwise. thus london is the 1st city to host 3 "olympic" games. now shut up, and get on topic. besides, the YOG 3 timer is of 2 different types of games, winter and summer, so that reduces the validity as well... theres 2 days to go, people HAVE to be seeing new things there and taking more photos and uploading them to the interwebs.

Hey, welcome 2 u 2.

Well, now you learned something new then. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Right, back on topic...here's a new idea nobody has come up with.

It's been said lots that the lighting will be an 'event'. - Now, this is taken from an email sent to people attending the final rehearsal on Wednesday night.

Finally, we’ll be testing a new feature on our London 2012 Join In mobile app during the rehearsal, and we’d like you to help us – you may even receive some exclusive info! Simply download the app for your mobile (or update your existing app) on the day of the rehearsal. At the rehearsal, please open the app and ensure you have location services enabled.

Maybe it's just some little thing to get people to 'tag their location'...but maybe they are testing something for the lighting of the cauldron.

I'm thinking: "London 2012 Couldron: Lit by the people of London and the world" ect...

You see, everybody. I started a new topic like you demanded and it made no difference because the conversation is here. And yet you want us to pick up and move so you can debunk the same cauldron locations that have been debunked 53 times before.

Right, back on topic...here's a new idea nobody has come up with.

It's been said lots that the lighting will be an 'event'. - Now, this is taken from an email sent to people attending the final rehearsal on Wednesday night.

Maybe it's just some little thing to get people to 'tag their location'...but maybe they are testing something for the lighting of the cauldron.

I'm thinking: "London 2012 Couldron: Lit by the people of London and the world" ect...

That's a wild notion. I wonder how it could work. Is it a digital flame we all carry around on our phones?

Right, back to the cauldron.

Does anyone else have a comment on this? This looks interesting to me...

That's the bit of the Daily Mail pic' I was referring to.

I'm not sure about the gold(?) umbrella-like things, but the black structure behind them next to the stadium are simply external stairs leading to the stadium's upper bowl. They've always been there as you can see in older pictures of that side of the stadium

But I agree, those umbrella-like things are suspect. We need closer, clearer pictures.

As others have said, the umbrella things are the lights but I'm curious about the 'stairs'. You may have seen it in close up (I haven't) so I'm not saying you're wrong but, from the pic's I've seen all the stairs are inside the wrap. If there are stairs outside the wrap here, that's curious itself.

There is a larger black structure connected to the stadium at the back (or on the other side to where the Orbit is) however I think its just an area for VIPs seeing how it is right where the IOC members/queen ect are sitting in the stadium.

I did however notice this weird area which half looks like it is still being constructed next to the Olympic Stadium + the white dome? Anyone got any ideas?

ntdna.png

That's the same area as the other pictures (and it can be seen in the pictures above). Ive not seen it up close, so it may indeed just be a cover for high voltage cables. Presumably the extra power is needed for the opening ceremony lighting and effects. Anyway, I still think this area is worth watching as it would be a logical location for the cauldron.

Someone asked about the tree (sorry, I forgot to quote the post). I've seen a picture of it raised up too and it had roots hanging down. This suggested to me it plays a part in the ceremony (why go tot he trouble of making roots if they stay hidden? It's not a real tree is it?).

A Cauldron was lit at the 1948 London Games, not the 1908 edition.

London spoiler!! Forgot that there were figure skating events in 1908. THEREFORE, that only makes the 1908 hosting a semi-Summer one. So, technically, Innsbruck & London stand at 2.5 hostings each! :lol:

And that's the final word on that. Neither is a FULL-Time 3x Olympic host. That record has yet to be genuinely reached.

Edited by baron-pierreIV