London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

I've been reading your thoughts for the last few days and thought I'd share a few observations.

* From this afternoon, the BBC have avoided showing the northern end of the stadium (to the right in this picture http://postimage.org/image/60qt0irkz/).

* As others have pointed out, the northern end is the cauldron location identified in the planning application (http://planning.london2012.com/upload/publicaccessODAlive/OLY-OLF-APP-DWG-PDZ3-SSU-PAR-001%20%282268%29.pdf).

* this is also, approximately, the location where recent photographs signs of building work and an area surrounded by a black fence.

* the roof support structure is a lot stronger than some on here have suggested. Look at all the gantries and walkways that have been added since the roof was finished.

* a black structure appears to be visible at the far right end of this the stadium in the 7th picture on this page (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175205/London-2012-Opening-Ceremony-View-inside-Olympic-Stadium-provides-glimpse-spectacle-look.html). OPENING CEREMONY SPOILER ALERT!

Finally, people seem to be getting worked up about gas pipes in the Orbit. I understand there is a restaurant in the Orbit, I would imagine the kitchen requires gas!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

Welcome, MarkUK.

Thanks for that link to the planning. That yet is the most explicit document I have seen revealing the spot for the cauldron; and it is dated April 2007. So indeed as early as 5 years ago. Unless something will rise there in the next 48 hours, then it won't be there. So, apparently, they have chosen to bypass that spot and it will now be located wherever that new place Heatherwick & co. have decided it will be.

The "It's big" thing hint is also quite intriguing. What is so BIG in that park that can carry a flame? Can only be the Orbit and/or that Ikea tower so far.

I've been reading your thoughts for the last few days and thought I'd share a few observations.

* From this afternoon, the BBC have avoided showing the northern end of the stadium (to the right in this picture http://postimage.org/image/60qt0irkz/).

* As others have pointed out, the northern end is the cauldron location identified in the planning application (http://planning.lond...0%282268%29.pdf).

* this is also, approximately, the location where recent photographs signs of building work and an area surrounded by a black fence.

* the roof support structure is a lot stronger than some on here have suggested. Look at all the gantries and walkways that have been added since the roof was finished.

* a black structure appears to be visible at the far right end of this the stadium in the 7th picture on this page (http://www.dailymail...tacle-look.html). OPENING CEREMONY SPOILER ALERT!

Finally, people seem to be getting worked up about gas pipes in the Orbit. I understand there is a restaurant in the Orbit, I would imagine the kitchen requires gas!

Excellent post. Thank you. And there certainly is a black structure (probably masking of some kind) in the 7th picture.

Thank you baron-pierreIV

I think the cauldron will 'appear' over the next few days. If it has been assembled and tested somewhere else in England, it could be assembled on site very quickly. This would still be the case even if the cauldron were on the Orbit.

However I don't think the cauldron will be on the Orbit. Apart from anything else, if I were paying £15 to go to the top of the Orbit, I would want a good view of the cauldron and flame!

I also don't believe there will be a temporary cauldron in the stadium, for the opening ceremony, which will then be moved outside after the ceremony. That would mean the flame not being visible for a few days (at least) which wouldn't be acceptable to LOCOG or the IOC.

So, whichever way you look at it, either a cauldron needs to be assembled outside the stadium in the next few days or it is already there and we haven't recognised it (those five rings on the roof?).

If I have to guess, I think the cauldron will be a tower/structure to the north of the stadium. It will probably be close to, and attached to, the stadium itself so that it can be seen from inside without being too tall (the plans show that the cauldron could be anywhere on the northern concorse).

Is it possible that those 5 rings would fly around and would be reunited alltogether as an official 4 rings logo on the top of the roof in the area floodlit on its north side ???

Thank you baron-pierreIV

I also don't believe there will be a temporary cauldron in the stadium, for the opening ceremony, which will then be moved outside after the ceremony. That would mean the flame not being visible for a few days (at least) which wouldn't be acceptable to LOCOG or the IOC.

They don't have to move a temporary one to another site. Just do it like Vancouver. Have a dupe wherever that is. All they need is the original Olympia flame. THe ceremonial one just goes back into the ground or in a box, and brought out again, if need be, for Closing. With 2 cauldrons, the big one gets to stay in the park; the dupe probably gets donated to the IOC Museum in Lausanne.

Also, remember, they have to figure in the Lighting for the Paralympics. So, simple and efficient is better.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Guys, you totally got wrong what was said in the Mexican interview with Thomas Heatherwick respectively in Mexico68's post.

Mexico68 only said that coincidentally, David Cameron was visiting Mexico at the time when that Mexican journalist interviewed Heatherwick. That doesn't mean that Heatherwick had to travel to Mexico to meet Cameron and to ask him for his permission. Why should a Briton have to travel to a country thousands of miles away just to meet his Prime Minister and ask him? That makes no sense.

And Heatherwick didn't actually mention a date when he (or Boyle or LOCOG) asked Cameron for his permission. So that could have been already in 2011, the year when Heatherwick was appointed the designer of the cauldron.

I suppose that it's getting a bit too much for us all. We are now starting to rack our brains about things that have never been said. ;)

P.S. Here's Mexico68's original quote:

"at that time" refers to the time of the interview, not the time of Cameron's authorisation.

A big thanks to Mexico68 for initially drawing our attention to this development and then to Menegazfelipe who has since posted in this thread a full translation of Alberto Lati's article recounting his 13 June interview with Cauldron designer, Thomas Heatherwick.

Within that article posted 3-4 pages ago, Heatherwick talks about the Cauldron and the PM's approval of the lighting, etc. :)

Edited by AustralianFan

Is it possible that those 5 rings would fly around and would be reunited alltogether as an official 4 rings logo on the top of the roof in the area floodlit on its north side ???

So here are the rings....

[spoilerayhegqjcmaahyrtjpglarge.jpg

oops....

I'm not a geek !!! Too old for that...

• Like 1

[spoiler

oops....

Excellent suggestion SwissO. That way the 5 rings may well stay put for the entire games once flown together to form the iconic Olympic logo.

Recently there was one particular photo showing a big gantry on the roof supporting one of the rings

Both ends of that heavy looking gantry appeared itself to be supported across the curve of the Stadium on the stronger outside edge of the Stadium roof.

Is that photo taken from one of the dress rehearsals or is it a doctored 'pretend' image?

Edited by AustralianFan

Excellent suggestion SwissO. That way the 5 rings may well stay put for the entire games once flown together to form the iconic Olympic logo.

Recently there was one particular photo showing a big gantry on the roof supporting one of the rings.

Both ends of that heavy looking gantry appeared itself to be supported across the curve of the Stadium on the stronger outside edge of the Stadium roof.

Is that photo taken from one of the dress rehearsals or is it a doctored 'pretend' image?

????

Apparently it has been taken this evening... but nowdays who could be sure ???

Reminds of the opening of Phantom of the Opera when the chandlier rises up to the ceiling

Sorry about the small textt!! The rings remind me of the opening of Phantom of the Opera when the chandlier rises to the top of the ceiling.

They don't have to move a temporary one to another site. Just do it like Vancouver. Have a dupe wherever that is.

But, as I also said, the duplicate cauldron would still need to be assembled in the next few days. Anyway, the head of the BOA was reported yesterday as saying the cauldron lighting will be spectacular "a wow moment" (http://www.examiner.com/article/2012-olympics-ceremony-to-light-olympic-cauldron-could-include-5-athletes). If they want people to remember the lighting, I doubt they would then move the flame. Wouldn't it spoil the moment?

I've just found some pictures on the BBC website which show the inside of the BBC's Olympic Park studio (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/18894293). Picture 7, in particular, shows the area where I think the cauldron will be. A stadium roof level flame would be clearly seen from this studio. I'm pretty sure the studios are positioned so that the flame, the key Olympic symbol, would be seen in shot.

But, as I also said, the duplicate cauldron would still need to be assembled in the next few days. Anyway, the head of the BOA was reported yesterday as saying the cauldron lighting will be spectacular "a wow moment" (http://www.examiner.com/article/2012-olympics-ceremony-to-light-olympic-cauldron-could-include-5-athletes). If they want people to remember the lighting, I doubt they would then move the flame. Wouldn't it spoil the moment?

I've just found some pictures on the BBC website which show the inside of the BBC's Olympic Park studio (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/18894293). Picture 7, in particular, shows the area where I think the cauldron will be. A stadium roof level flame would be clearly seen from this studio. I'm pretty sure the studios are positioned so that the flame, the key Olympic symbol, would be seen in shot.

BBC studio is a 180° one... so covering most of the O park !

[spoilerayhegqjcmaahyrtjpglarge.jpg

oops....

I was thinking the rings would be used just like that although I rejected them being the cauldron itself (I don't think Thomas Heatherwick would like people to think that's the best idea he could come up with!). However I do think they could be part of the lighting process (five rings, five athletes?).

BBC studio is a 180° one... so covering most of the O park !

Not really because of the height of that studio (not to be confused with the BBC news studio). Unless they're broadcasting in x-ray vision as well as HD and 3D, the cauldron would have to be in the location identified on the planning document or outside the Aquatic Centre.

Right so I'm back from the rehearsal and can sadly say I'm non the wiser. However the show was amazing.

* Firstly I noticed the rings around the roof/edge of the stadium - however during the show they turned out not to be part of the cauldron but as part of the performance (as seen in the photo above. And I can confirm it is completely real and not shopped.)

* Secondly, there are 4 main clouds which circle the stadium, obviously part of the countryside section of the show. However I noticed that on the roof, on the section above where the tree is - there is a smaller, squarer cloud which was unused. Though eventually that too was used for a later part of the show.

* The show does seem to have a lot of things coming out of the ground - so would it be impossible for the cauldron to raise from the middle of stadium?

* The show also has a lot of things flying in from the air so perhaps the cauldron could be suspended.

* I like the idea of a laser linking from Shard to the cauldron - perhaps going to other landmarks in the process. (Though that has of course already kind of been done).

*What what I saw at the rehearsal, the tree did not make any contribution to the show, the hill leading up to it was used as a stage for music acts a couple of times as well as the flag poles - so surely the tree will be used for something?

Finally - I did find some fireworks (at least that's what it looks like) on a barge floating in the river.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vneu02.jpg

• Like 1

Right so I'm back from the rehearsal and can sadly say I'm non the wiser. However the show was amazing.

* Firstly I noticed the rings around the roof/edge of the stadium - however during the show they turned out not to be part of the cauldron but as part of the performance (as seen in the photo above. And I can confirm it is completely real and not shopped.)

* Secondly, there are 4 main clouds which circle the stadium, obviously part of the countryside section of the show. However I noticed that on the roof, on the section above where the tree is - there is a smaller, squarer cloud which was unused. Though eventually that too was used for a later part of the show.

* The show does seem to have a lot of things coming out of the ground - so would it be impossible for the cauldron to raise from the middle of stadium?

* The show also has a lot of things flying in from the air so perhaps the cauldron could be suspended.

* I like the idea of a laser linking from Shard to the cauldron - perhaps going to other landmarks in the process. (Though that has of course already kind of been done).

*What what I saw at the rehearsal, the tree did not make any contribution to the show, the hill leading up to it was used as a stage for music acts a couple of times as well as the flag poles - so surely the tree will be used for something?

Finally - I did find some fireworks (at least that's what it looks like) on a barge floating in the river.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vneu02.jpg

Ok, just thinking.....

We have seen confirmed pictures of the tree being suspended in air in this thread (correct?)... if they did not show the tree moving at all during the rehearsal, couldn't that be a tell tell sign that the cauldron is somewhere within the tor? Although the picture of the tree in air could have just been them installing it from a crane.....

I think it was taken at the dress rehearsals.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but the Orbit has been discounted once and for all: http://seattletimes....ttalstower.html

AP Interview: Steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal says the Orbit Tower is not the Olympic cauldron

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/23/steel-magnate-mittal-tower-not-olympic-cauldron52635/

Thanks Hawk and Paul for posting this, finally some firm evidence.

The Orbit is off the list and so my shortlist is down to one, a separate external tower structure, but no signs of that anywhere.

I can't see them taking a backward step and going for a little ceremonial Cauldron or a Seoul-style Cauldron which could only be seen by those inside the Stadium once ignited.

4 days to go, a hidden Cauldron structure or pre-assembled hastily erected one has got to make it's appearance very soon you would think, for testing on-site.

Does anyone know if there are any more rehearsals this week?

- perhaps the Cauldron will be installed and tested some after the last of the rehearsals.

Edited by AustralianFan

Ok, just thinking.....

We have seen confirmed pictures of the tree being suspended in air in this thread (correct?)... if they did not show the tree moving at all during the rehearsal, couldn't that be a tell tell sign that the cauldron is somewhere within the tor? Although the picture of the tree in air could have just been them installing it from a crane.....

I agree, and being at the top of the hill it really seems like it should have a role to play.

Another thing I noticed was the water-wheel was still on the stage even after all the rest of the county-side props and 'things' were taken off.

Maybe it's just a logistical thing since it is a pretty big structure but just food for thought. I would have thought they could have made it easy to dismantle - especially since there were 2min+ breaks to take it down.

• Like 1