London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

So, Heatherwick had to wait until David Cameron was in Mexico in early June, so like 45 days ago, for the G20 meeting in Los Cabos (or a concurrent state visit) to ask for his permission?? They couldn't have asked his office while the PM was still in London...like about a year ago or so?? And what if the PM had refused?

:blink:Tres, tres bizarre et incredbile!!

I guess the answers to all our questions will be answered some time after the Opening Ceremony, whenever Danny Boyle and Thomas Heatherwick are ready to spill the beans.

This may not be until after the Paralympics Closing Ceremony.

Edited by AustralianFan
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

I guess the answers to all our questions will be answered some time after the Opening Ceremony, whenever Danny Boyle and Thomas Heatherwick will be ready to spill the beans.

This may not be until after the Paralympics Closing Ceremony.

No. What I'm saying is the time sequence of that report is TOTALLY unbelievable. How could they only get permission 45 days ago when to get that thing, whatever it is, into production + testing, etc., etc. and all that, should have been MONTHS ago; NOT like 45 days ago? So that story is really hooey.

No. What I'm saying is the time sequence of that report is TOTALLY unbelievable. How could they only get permission 45 days ago when to get that thing, whatever it is, into production + testing, etc., etc. and all that, should have been MONTHS ago; NOT like 45 days ago? So that story is really hooey.

I hear what you're saying about the time frame but we don't know how it all panned out from the beginning.

For example, 'agreement in principle' may have been given by the PM a long time ago subject to production of evidence of satisfactory testing and certain regulatory regulatory requirements, standards and safety concerns having been throughly tested and met.

It could just be that the PM's formal tick of approval to this evidence was given 45 days or so ago and so they had to travel where the PM was in the world at that time to present the required evidence agreed to earlier when the 'agreement in principle' was first given.

Edited by AustralianFan

I just find this editorial slant quite incredulous...so as to make it appear that it will really be a MONUMENTAL thing.

1st off, the IOC had to approve it, as they do the whole ceremonies concepts. What if they approved it, and then the PM's office said "no"? How embarrasing would that have been for Seb Coe & Danny Boyle to have done that. So it would be back to the drawing board-- and then what? present it to the PM first. OK, he approves it. And then what if the IOC didn't like it the 2nd time? So, how much time did they have left? No; the whole thing should have been approved months ago.

It just seems so wildly unrealistic in terms of how matters of state, and this is some trivial ceremonial thing, work.

I just find this editorial slant quite incredulous...so as to make it appear that it will really be a MONUMENTAL thing.

1st off, the IOC had to approve it, as they do the whole ceremonies concepts. What if they approved it, and then the PM's office said "no"? How embarrasing would that have been for Seb Coe & Danny Boyle to have done that. So it would be back to the drawing board-- and then what? present it to the PM first. OK, he approves it. And then what if the IOC didn't like it the 2nd time? So, how much time did they have left? No; the whole thing should have been approved months ago.

It just seems so wildly unrealistic in terms of how matters of state, and this is some trivial ceremonial thing, work.

It all depends on how 'big' or unconventional this London Cauldron lighting really will be.

We'll find out soon enough ....

Edited by AustralianFan

2. a year ??? i think it will take very long time to design the cauldron so a year ago?? i don't think so

uhmmm....Ric Birch kinda had the Sydney cauldron design finalized like 5 years before 2000.

- Atlanta announced their choice of designer in November 1993. Armajani had 1994-1995 to conceptualize, design it. Lighting tests were conducted on that awful girder in February 1996. It was then moved and assembled in Atlanta in May...so like 60 days before the July 29 (I think) opening.

- Salt Lake had picked their design firm in Sept 2000; the ultimate cauldron design was finalized in March 2001 (so eleven months BEFORE the Winter Games); the mock-up immediately began in Burbank. It was installed in place & gas tests were conducted in the 3rd week of January...so a good 3-4 weeks before the Opening.

- Beijing,if I remember right, had finalized their final design and sent it to production in December 2007.

London, except for the security guard thing, seems to have done everything well in advance....and then they will wait 45 days for such an important part of Ceremonies to get it finalized? The IOC Oversight Committee won't let such tight deadlines happen.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

uhmmm....Ric Birch kinda had the Sydney cauldron design finalized like 5 years before 2000. Salt Lake had picked the design firm in Sept 2000; the ultimate cauldron design was finalized in March 2001 (so eleven months BEFORE the Winter Games); the mock-up immediately began in Burbank. Beijing,if I remember right, had finalized their final design and sent it to production in December 2007. London, except for the security guard thing, seems to have done everything well in advance....and then they will wait 45 days for such an important part of Ceremonies to get it finalized?? "I don't think so."

It's the method of lighting the Cauldron that this is about, not the Cauldron design itself,

isn't it (?)

Edited by AustralianFan

I still think the Shard has a part to play in all this.

Not sure how, the name of the building, the building itself, and all the renders of their "inauguration" [even though the inside is still a building sire] reflected the London Brand to me. Was their laser and light show some sort of test? Whatever it will be I am sure London will pull it off spectacularly!

The possibilities are endless. But I would like to know how accurate that Heatherwick interview that Mexico68 kindly posted earlier today :) .

Any volunteers to translate from Spanish ?

The more we share of what will happen at the opening of London 2012, the more we get confused.

They know and trust the vast creativity of the filmmaker Danny Boyle, who is in charge of the project. It is understood that the budget was doubled in order to enable something truly spectacular. They have clues about what the Olympic Stadium may appear on July 27, but on Tuesday, after observing a scale model, each media made their own interpretation.

The opening ceremony will be based on the work of William Shakespeare called "The Tempest" and on a main theme called "Islands of Wonder." The director of the Shakespeare Theater Company in London, Michael Boyd, explained to me weeks ago that makes complete sense that it has taken up this specific work of the most widely read writer in the history of the English language: "It is the idea of Britain as the island in the play 'the Tempest'... Because we are an island, because it raises many questions of how to live, how to deal with falling in love, how to deal with abuse of power."

However, the information that was shared to the press today (essential to say: it wasn't an open event which allowed inquiries, but a simple briefing with photos included) speaks of a farm in the area of the entire stadium for the first scene. This sequence is called "Green and Pleasant," referring to the English countryside.

There appeared many live animals, such as twelve horses, three cows, two goats, ten ducks, seventy sheep, surrounded by regional flowers of the four British nations: the English rose, the Scottish thistle, the Welsh daffodil and the Northern Irish linen. Will also emerge a river in the middle of the forest scenery in one of the largest scenery in history.

What will happen to the cauldron? What form and under what mechanism will turn on? Last Friday I interviewed its designer, Thomas Heatherwick, under the condition that the design is confidential and nothing could be said further. Still, from his words I was able to caught up with three conclusions: first, that will be spectacular, futuristic; second, that is fully integrated into the ceremony directed by Danny Boyle; and third, which is something bold, Heatherwick explained that it sought permission from the British Prime Minister, David Cameron, to allow the cauldron to be lit. For now, the cauldron has been built at a secret location in northern England, where he has also already passed tests.

A Mexican woman living in London will participate as a volunteer at the opening, although, in the same case: letter of absolute confidentiality, even considering that she still did not participate in any rehearsal and haven't seen anything.

We are one month and a half away. Many puzzles and, from the mystery, we often feed the passion.

Alberto Lati

13 June 2012

• Like 1

It's the method of lighting the Cauldron that this is about, not the Cauldron design itself,

isn't it (?)

But I think the manner of lighting would seem to be easy enough. It's both the design AND the lighting. The thing is, the IOC would have to know of and approve the whole lighting scheme MONTHS in advance. Their Oversignt Committee would be on LOCOG's tail like a cheap suit if the important deadlines were falling way behind.

Who is this mysterious Mexican woman? How does she play into the whole story? Was she like a Mata Hari who carried the final designs in her diplomatic pouch to David Cameron's poolside at Los Cabos to get his signature...ONLY while he was conferring with his delegation and the other world leaders...to get his initials...and then spirit the initialled paper back to London? Is she holding LOCOG hostage and won't release that paper unless she gets to light the cauldron?? Is she also carrying David Cameron's, Seb Coe's or David Beckham's love child?? :blink: The whole thing is so intriguing!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I still think the Shard has a part to play in all this.

Not sure how, the name of the building, the building itself, and all the renders of their "inauguration" [even though the inside is still a building sire] reflected the London Brand to me. Was their laser and light show some sort of test? Whatever it will be I am sure London will pull it off spectacularly!

Indeed, the top of that building leaves me puzzled. Why that top has no access or use? Didn't buy the "aesthetic purposes"...

But I think the manner of lighting would seem to be easy enough.

On the contrary, no-one here knows the manner of lighting.

It looks like this Cauldron lighting will be unconventional and quite unique to anything we have witnessed before at Opening Ceremonies.

What will happen to the cauldron? What form and under what mechanism will turn on? Last Friday I interviewed its designer, Thomas Heatherwick, under the condition that the design is confidential and nothing could be said further.

Still, from his words I was able to caught up with three conclusions: first, that will be spectacular, futuristic; second, that is fully integrated into the ceremony directed by Danny Boyle; and third, which is something bold, Heatherwick explained that it sought permission from the British Prime Minister, David Cameron, to allow the cauldron to be lit. For now, the cauldron has been built at a secret location in northern England, where he has also already passed tests.

Thankyou Menegazfelipe for translating that interview ! :D

Edited by AustralianFan

It's possible that they only realized after everything had been developed that they needed the PMs permission.

The security problem is not a minor wrinkle either. Not only did the firm fail to report a problem they must have known about for months, LOCOG and the government failed to provide sufficient oversight. They should've been on top of this long ago. The fact that something so major fell through the cracks must raise the question of what else has been forgotten or postponed.

If you asked me a coupe months ago if this security problem were possible, I would've said, "No way. I'm sure the Brits are on top of it." Though I would expect cauldron details to have been finalized ages ago, I must concede that it's possible they failed to get the PMs permission until 45 days ago.

It's possible that they only realized after everything had been developed that they needed the PMs permission.

The security problem is not a minor wrinkle either. Not only did the firm fail to report a problem they must have known about for months, LOCOG and the government failed to provide sufficient oversight. They should've been on top of this long ago. The fact that something so major fell through the cracks must raise the question of what else has been forgotten or postponed.

If you asked me a coupe months ago if this security problem were possible, I would've said, "No way. I'm sure the Brits are on top of it." Though I would expect cauldron details to have been finalized ages ago, I must concede that it's possible they failed to get the PMs permission until 45 days ago.

I don't actually think that there has been any breach of security or any breakdown of procedures, things falling through the cracks,etc. Certainly no evidence of that.

LOCOG have done a superb job, been highly organised and strategic in their planning and actions from when they won the bid.

The behind-the-scenes story of London 2012 will come out in good time but I strongly suspect that the Cauldron design and approval, and the Cauldron lighting design and approval process has gone like clockwork - the way it was planned to.

I cannot imagine that approval of this will have been forgotten or a last minute rush thing.

It's just that we are on the outside and don't have all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle.

Edited by AustralianFan
  • Like 1

I didn't say there was a breach in security.

There was a shortfall of THOUSANDS of personnel that was only discovered a few weeks before the Games. Yes, they've called in the troops and the situation has been dealt with. The point is that it never should have been an issue in the first place. The security firm should've notified LOCOG and the government months ago -- as soon as they began to suspect a shortfall. Barring that, LOCOG and the government should've been monitoring the situation much more closely and should've discovered the shortfall themselves long ago.

These are serious operational deficiencies. There is simply no other way to describe it.

If this can happen with something as major as thousands of security personnel, then they can certainly fail to get the PMs approval for a cauldron until 45 days before the Games. I'm not saying that's what happened. I'm not even saying they shpuld have had the PMs permission earlier because I don't know the specifics. I'm saying that a delay in going through official channels seems totally plausible considering recent events.

There was a shortfall of THOUSANDS of personnel that was only discovered a few weeks before the Games. Yes, they've called in the troops and the situation has been dealt with. The point is that it never should have been an issue in the first place. The security firm should've notified LOCOG and the government months ago -- as soon as they began to suspect a shortfall. Barring that, LOCOG and the government should've been monitoring the situation much more closely and should've discovered the shortfall themselves long ago.

These are serious operational deficiencies. There is simply no other way to describe it.

If this can happen with something as major as thousands of security personnel, then they can certainly fail to get the PMs approval for a cauldron until 45 days before the Games. I'm not saying that's what happened. I'm not even saying they shpuld have had the PMs permission earlier because I don't know the specifics. I'm saying that a delay in going through official channels seems totally plausible considering recent events.

Fair enough, good point.

i'm sure some people have already suggested this....but i think the location could be under the tree in the northern stands of the stadium.

i think it will be similar to Sydney's cauldron.....i.e. it will be silver, disc shaped, and rise up from the tree spot vertically into the air.

again, i'm people have mentioned it, that they will not have a cauldron within the stadium, which i think is true, but because there is 1 week between the opening ceremony and the start of the athletics, it will give LOCOG time to re-structure the northern side of the roof in order to hold up a floating cauldron above the stadium.

article-1339494835136-1391BF2B000005DC-103619_636x472.jpg

this, i think, is the most likely scenario.

unless....LOCOG have planed to light the Olympic flame from the centre of the stage....like Vancouver 2010.

i mean nobody really knows what is under there...apart from the shape of the River Thames.

What you say is true but LOCOG trusted G4S with the security and it was G4Ss fault not LOCOGs, they simply let them down and now it has been fixed, everything else is going to plan I'm sure. Just because there is one problem doesn't mean the whole thing is going to pot. If G4S were in control then I'd be making suggestions that other areas may be experiencing problems, but they're not...

The security thing is major but I don't understand how it links to anything in this thread, The idea London 2012 had to get the PMs permission for the cauldron still isn't something I believe to be true; - I still think people are getting muddled with the fact that Boyle asked the government for more money for the show. So I think your conclusion is based on a flimsy premise anyhow because, in short I don't believe they would normally NEED to get the PM's permission for the cauldron.

According to TEBC on Skyscrapercity, Brazilian TV will be broadcasting from one of the blue studios below the hexagonal BBC studio on top of this complex.

http://www.bluebus.c...mpico_pirataria

I can confirm that to you at 8:30pm (GMT-3) tonight, when SporTV is unveiling their studios in London. The dispute between Rede Record (free-to-air) and SporTV (pay tv; which is a Rede Globo subsidiary, who lost the rights to Record) is becoming very exciting. Record is dedicating much of its programming to the Olympics, and SporTV announced four HD channels on pay tv. Information that I found:

Two forces of the media joined efforts for the Olympics in London. SporTV struck a deal with BBC, the largest broadcaster of the United Kingdom. The BBC is responsible for the construction of SporTV's panoramic studio, and support the staff of the Brazilian channel with structure and logistics in situ during the Olympic period. SporTV and the BBC also jointly produced a series of openers that show a three dimensional air tour, which will be used during the coverage of the Olympic Games in London. Always leaving the panoramic studios, subscribers will get to know - during the interlude between the broadcast of a competition to another - the real paths between the sports arenas.

And this is how it looked last night. Low lights over the Olympic Park at 2am GMT... SporTV chose to explore the Union Jack on its graphics rather than the Games logo and look.

img_3439.jpg