London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Keeping things secret are part of the modern games and it seems to me that some underground silo or compartment could have been incorporated into the stadium design early on.

An alternative is for a prefabricated tower to be erected outside the stadium even during the evening of the ceremony: crane technology would allow for this

I really think we are going to see something completely different this time in London both in terms of the cauldron and it's lighting. It's the most deeply symbolic moment of the opening ceremony and the Heatherwick studio will have been well aware of this.

I agree, it makes sense that there would have been a lot of collobration between the different London designers from the start. There's been lots of discussion on possible hiding places for a Cauldron supporting structure, and where it's foundations might be - but LOCOG have been super stealthy to keep us guessing.

Thanks AussieFan for all the pics - hadn't seen a few of the Winter ones especially. Is there any video online of the Lake Placid one - the only clip I've seen pretty much cuts straight from them lighting it to it hitting the top.

No probs Brekkie Boy. I couldn't find a full version either of the Lake Placid lighting either showing the full rise up. I agree with you about Turin. Also any Cauldron lighting that shies away from actual direct Torch flame contact with the Cauldron doesn't seem authentic. It seems to be getting harder and harder these days to have the final torchbearer directly dipping the torch into the Cauldron.

For Athens I believe it was too late in the planning phase for them to pick up on that. construction would have started on their stadium before they could take notes from sidney but Beijing definitely did and I bet 1 billion dollars so too did London.

From what I see I think we are going to see a seamlessly fluid opening ceremony with a Cauldron lighting that ties everything together. The fact that we still don't know where and how is a testament to the fact that this has been in the forks from the start seeing the foundation for whatever it is has already been in place.

Another point here is LOCOG knows they can't compete with Beijing on the size and scale of their ceremony but they sure can be innovative

Athens had the one cauldron that best matched its stadium's architecture (as it was all designed by Calatrava), closely followed by LA.

I agree Alphamale. Athens were also restricted from the beginning with their Cauldron ideas and integration as their Stadium was an old roofless one. They used it again for the 1997 World Athletics Championships and when they won the 2004 bid, they refurbished it and brought in Calatrava to design a roof for it - a beautiful result in the end. I think Rio are doing something similar (?).

Yes London look to be heading down an innovate path with its cauldron and lighting method to offset the 'Beijing effect'.

Edited by AustralianFan
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

Rio is using the existing Maracana for their OC stadium. I have not heard anything about major renovations, certainly nothing close to the scale of Athens.

As if they're NOT having enough problems trying to place (and hide) ONE cauldron...and you want more than one?? :blink:

What makes you think there are problems? As near as I can see they've hidden it quite successfully. I'm not aware of any information that indicates London's cauldron isn't going exactly according to plan.

Rio is using the existing Maracana for their OC stadium. I have not heard anything about major renovations, certainly nothing close to the scale of Athens.

Actual;ly, a fair bit of renovation (for the WC as well as the Olympics).

These pics are off SSC:

Old:

maracana10.jpg

Now:

15052012aniversariomaracan012.jpg

Planned:

comemoracaomaracana04.jpg

comemoracaomaracana05.jpg

Is it too early to play "Mark the Cauldron Location"?

Edited by Sir Rols

What makes you think there are problems? As near as I can see they've hidden it quite successfully. I'm not aware of any information that indicates London's cauldron isn't going exactly according to plan.

U are so ANAL. Alright, maybe I should've said "perceived problems for outsiders."

Satisfied? Happy? :rolleyes: Sheesh. everything's got 2 be spelled out 4 u.

Actual;ly, a fair bit of renovation (for the WC as well as the Olympics).

These pics are off SSC:

Old:

maracana10.jpg

Now:

15052012aniversariomaracan012.jpg

Planned:

comemoracaomaracana04.jpg

comemoracaomaracana05.jpg

I didn't realize the renovations were so extensive. I'm sure the inside will be far more logistically friendly and up-to-date, but it appears that the exterior look of the stadium will be almost exactly the same. As for AustraliaFan's point about a cauldron being designed into the new stadium, it seems unlikely since the facade will be reconstructed in such a similar manner. In that respect it is different from Athens.

I didn't realize the renovations were so extensive. I'm sure the inside will be far more logistically friendly and up-to-date, but it appears that the exterior look of the stadium will be almost exactly the same.

Yeah, well I think they were constrained in that because they were dealing with such a Brazilian heritage icon.

I assume the location for the cauldron's gonna big a big debating point here in four years time considering their split Ceremonies/athletic stadiums plan.

U are so ANAL. Alright, maybe I should've said "perceived problems for outsiders."

Satisfied? Happy? :rolleyes: Sheesh. everything's got 2 be spelled out 4 u.

Seriously. I have seen NO evidence that London is experiencing any problems at all with their cauldron. I don't understand your response.

Yeah, well I think they were constrained in that because they were dealing with such a Brazilian heritage icon.

I assume the location for the cauldron's gonna big a big debating point here in four years time considering their split Ceremonies/athletic stadiums plan.

Right. I still don't understand that one. It seems like Maracana could conceivably host athletics -- especially considering their extensive remodel. I guess it's treasured as a football venue and the idea of hosting anything else there doesn't fly with the Brazilians. Call me a traditionalist, but I'm having trouble adjusting to this part of their plan. Plus there's a certain sour taste to Joao Havelange stadium now...

It seems an unwritten 'tradition' to re-light the previous Cauldron if you have hosted a Games before.

eg Los Angeles, Innsbruck ( I couldn't find record of a Cauldron at the 1932 Lake Placid Games )

So while Thomas will have a new Cauldron for 2012, will they do it out of respect for the 1948 Games before the big one is lit?

Or could London get away with not re-lighting the 1948 Cauldron ?

So another prominent roof structure that makes a cauldron's location hard to guess with Rio? And the added two-stadium dynamic? Don't even one to begin thinking about that one. :wacko:

Or could London get away with not re-lighting the 1948 Cauldron ?

I think so. I mean, would there really be any controversy? Would anyone outside of an intern forum really care?

Headline: "Games kick off, but London dose not re-light 1948 Cauldron. Olympic tradition stopped, upsetting... two people"

Doubtful.

Personally, I feel like the calls to have multiple cauldrons (or re-light old previous ones) in order pay homage and symbolize a city's past hosting is, as the Brit's would say, rather naff. Especially in this case when the 1948 cauldron is such a nonevent of a design. But that's me.

• Like 1

I couldn't find record of a Cauldron at the 1932 Lake Placid Games )

They didn't have one. LA picked it up as a summer-only tradition then. And then Garmisch-P was the first Winter one. And Berlin's Lewald and Diem hadn't given much thought to doing a Winter Torch Relay, as they were just debuting that for Berlin.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

So this is my first post, I don't even know if I am doing this right but if you're reading this I must be. So I have a couple of ways I would handle the cauldron if I were the head honcho person, I see both of these possibilities as flawed or implausible at the present time, but it is still fun to speculate. The first is that I would have installed the cauldron years ago as a part of the construction of the stadium when no ones thinking about it, then I would have everyone act like it still needed to be installed. Send out runoff or speculations, just to spice things up. My other option would be to have a sort of instant (and currently impractical) cauldron that could be set up during the OC. Anyone Else like either of these ideas althogh highly improbable?

welcome, OlympicNagol.

Generally, organizers don't think that far in advance. And setting up the cauldron is really way down on the list of putting on and getting a city/country ready for an Olympic Games. It's only in really anally-compulsive boards like this one and SkyscraperCity where nut...enthusiasts like us spend days, hours, weeks obsessing over that little thing. And it gets moved to another location in the end...

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Headline: "Games kick off, but London dose not re-light 1948 Cauldron. Olympic tradition stopped, upsetting... two people"

Doubtful.

Personally, I feel like the calls to have multiple cauldrons (or re-light old previous ones) in order pay homage and symbolize a city's past hosting is, as the Brit's would say, rather naff. Especially in this case when the 1948 cauldron is such a nonevent of a design. But that's me.

The signifance of the 1948 Games and their place in the history should not be underestimated.

It was both editions of the Games in 1948 in St Mortiz and London which really revived the Olympic Movement, coming 3 years after the War and a long 12 years since the previous Winter and Summer Games were held in 1936 in tense Garmisch-Partengirchen and Berlin.

Although their small and modest by modern standards, and the 'austerity' Games themselves were done on a shoestring budget, the 1948 Summer Games hold a special place in the hearts of Londoners and the Olympic Movement.

How this will be recognised on July 27 remains to be seen.

Edited by AustralianFan

I doubt that the Games of 1948 (and don't forget 1908!) will be mentioned. LA didn't mention the 1932 Games either, as far as I know (apart from using the same stadium and cauldron, of course).

I personally doubt there will be recognition of the 1908 or the 1948 Games above any past games. Perhaps they may pay tribute to past host cities but, I don't know, I just don't think they'll see the importance in pointing out they have hosted it before.

The only way I could see them paying tribute to their past efforts as hosts could be in, perhaps, a video at the start before the bell tolls.

The roll call of the past host cities would either be in the Opening Countdown (unless that's that James Bond scenario), or as the final torchbearers come in (so, like Athens), The IOC loves that, so there is going to be a recall of the past cities...and because it's London, I think it can be done very graphically via the jumbotrons.

1908 is even more significant that 1948 because it was in 1908 that the distance used in the marathon races today was set.

LA paid tribute to its 1932 hosting at the CLosing Ceremony when they had that fireworks salute to all the previous host cities,

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Re #1540 I have to disagree. See mine #1515. Ever since Barcelona 92 cities have been trying to outdo their predecessors in terms of design/mode of lighting. A low priority, I don't think so.

Yes, but in the total scheme of things...getting to the Cauldron is like item #5000 on the list. For example, a new Organizing Committee starts with:

- staffing it...who will head it for the 8 years of its existence

- lining up gov't, nat'l assembly support

- lining up the sponsors and suppliers

- lining up the architects and construction teams for the venues

etc, etc., etc.

It's NOT until the 3rd or 4th year (going by the normal pace of things) that they start signing up Ceremonies people. Look at Rio's case. Selected in 2009. It was only earlier this year that they signed Ric Birch & Marco Ballich to do their Ceremonies, and that is because Birch & Ballich can also put together the Handover segment of Brazil. The Stadium is being renovated; so they probably won't get tot he cauldron issue I'd say until next year. What Birch-Ballich & their Brazilian partners have to do for the next year is lay out the scenario & ground work for the Opening/Closing ceremonies; cost those out; and then present their ideas to the IOC. That's when they can start thinking of the cauldron-lighting scenario.

And since Birch is on this project--having worked on 4 Olympics hands-on; consulted on Beijing, Delhi 2010 and I think Guadalajara 2010, he would quickly know a thing or2 about this whole cauldron business. So, I'd say within the next 365 days --and while they can get some minor alterations to the Havelange Stadium included, will the subject of Rio's cauldron get some serious attention and thinking,

Edited by baron-pierreIV