Sign in to follow this  
SwissO

London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

If the cauldron were to be at a distant location, say over Tower Bridge or even remotely, atop the Shard building, can they do a beacon-relay in the Final Lighting--as was done I believe when Hadrian's wall was active?

Except that they did a nationwide beacon-lighting for the Jubilee so would they really do it again 3 months later?

They did actually mention the cauldron lighting at today's rehearsal - so I know where I'm standing during it and since I'm facing away from the crowd at that point, I should be able to see it. :D

They did actually mention the cauldron lighting at today's rehearsal - so I know where I'm standing during it and since I'm facing away from the crowd at that point, I should be able to see it. :D

Means you know where in the stadium the cauldron will be lit? :)

Except that they did a nationwide beacon-lighting for the Jubilee so would they really do it again 3 months later?

Right. I forgot about that.

You do realise a pillar of the size you suggested doesn't have to be just one whole piece, it could rise from inside each other like a Russian doll...

Yes, it is; but it seems extremely complicated to prepare for such a short time it will appear on the site. And you remember how hydraulically-powered or extremely complicated cauldrons have worked in the past...cough...cough....Sydney & Vancouver??

I think that telescoping idea might work better outside...away from all the tight confines and OTHER stage machinery already in use there in the infield. But it seems our FDLondon already knows where it will appear?!?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Perhaps not hydraulic system, but more a pulley rig system eg. Chinese folding lantern

Certaibly is possible. The Sydney Cauldron and the column which lifted it was attached to a very tall vertical structure attached to the outside edge of that end grandstand.

London's roof would certainly support the weight of a person lifted up and walking on a roof pathway to light such a located Cauldron. This roof area above the tree in a recent OC thread picture showed a particularly brightly lit area on the roof which could be just an area for performers to sing etc and/or it could be an 'ignition' or 'launch area' for the final torchbearer/s (?)

0707013-thumb450x-1.jpg

The lighted area on the roof (towards left in the picture) will be the final resting area of the cauldron.

I suspect that hill will provide the lighting area, and then finally will moce to the roof

• Like 1

Perhaps not hydraulic system, but more a pulley rig system eg. Chinese folding lantern

Well, the big globe in Beijing folded like...to use a pun..."Chinese folding lantern," but it still was hydraulically operated; and remember, Beijing dug 45 feet deep in their field to accommodate the underground stage & the globe folded to about 15 feet high when it was compacted. I believe that the London stage does NOT have such luxuries of space.

The lighted area on the roof (towards left in the picture) will be the final resting area of the cauldron.

I suspect that hill will provide the lighting area, and then finally will moce to the roof

That makes sense except one of those lighting triangle grids is DIRECTLY over the Tor. So, going by that scenario:

#1 - the Tree will have to get out of the way. Where will it go?

#2 - How do you move a cauldron from the hill to that spot in the roof? I mean it can only be big enough to fit in the lower free space of the Lighting triangle. Any rails cannot be there at the start of the show because it will BLOCK the seats behind it.

35mirfd.jpg

Ok, there it is. So, the trunk could hide a cylindrical-shaped cauldron. But again:

#3 - where are the gas lines connected to it? It must have a fuel supply line.

#4 - There is that platform with a spotlight right overhead. How will the "cauldron-inside-the-tree-trunk" climb over that ledge to the roof setting? Look at all the RIGGING already in place.

Anyone know?

I think something strange and tell-tale will definitely appear by next week.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Means you know where in the stadium the cauldron will be lit? :)

But it seems our FDLondon already knows where it will appear?!?

I wouldn't go that far. All I meant was that I now know for certain that I'm still within the stadium at the point at which the cauldron is lit - and I'm not facing the audience so I've got more chance of being able to see the cauldron. Where it is and how they actually light it are still mysteries to most, if not all, the volunteer performers.

So a cauldron on the roof with a giant floodlight pylon directly in front of it?

No. As I said before when you took me to task for this, it's going to be in that area. The pool of light always falls below and behind the object that is being lit. The cauldron will somehow be higher -- not ON the roof. I can't imagine any other reason for the type of lighting shown in that photo.

No. As I said before when you took me to task for this, it's going to be in that area. The pool of light always falls below and behind the object that is being lit. The cauldron will somehow be higher -- not ON the roof. I can't imagine any other reason for the type of lighting shown in that photo.

I see. By "it's" I thought you meant the cauldron itself.

Do you think the bright white patch on the roof is lit from under or a spotlight above? If the latter, then where is the source? From the triangle light frame above?

Guys, I am beginning to believe that the one particular triangular light frame above the tor: ledge has something to do with the cauldron lighting. It might be used as transport/ beaming mechanism for the flame; or it might be disguised as a regular light frame and then transform or break apart to form a cauldron. Either way, these light frames are such significant element of the stadium design that's why I am convinced one of them will be utilised in the cauldron ceremony one way or another.

Edited by kevzz

Those light frames do rise way up -- maybe some rigging is attached to them to bring something above the lip? Does anyone know if there is rigging attached to that frame?

Hmmm... This might destroy also the "the cauldron lighting will take place or at least start in that spotlight area on the roof" theory... The London organisers still leave a whole forum clueless. ;)

This is, by the way, the source for the first picture. It was taken on Friday, shortly before the no-fly zone was implemented: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20120715dy01.htm

Where's the second picture from, Rodrigo?

Olympian2004, I found that second photo in another olympic forum.

I don't think that first photo was taken on Friday, I think it was the day that the article was written only. This other photo was taken in July 9th and the stage is more complete than in the other one.

Screen-shot-2012-07-09-at-11.45.01.png

I don't think that first photo was taken on Friday, I think it was the day that the article was written only. This other photo was taken in July 9th and the stage is more complete than in the other one.

No, if you look closely on your first photo, you'll see that there's a black fringe around the stage which can't be seen in that July 9th picture. It's because that black fringe is new.

I suppose that they have to take off the green meadows once in a while to rehearse also the later segments of the show. So whether the meadows are in place or not is no good indicator how old a picture is.

And let me ask you again about your second photo: From which Olympic forum exactly do you have it? Sorry for being so picky, but we have to keep copyright laws.

No, if you look closely on your first photo, you'll see that there's a black fringe around the stage which can't be seen in that July 9th picture. It's because that black fringe is new.

I suppose that they have to take off the green meadows once in a while to rehearse also the later segments of the show. So whether the meadows are in place or not is no good indicator how old a picture is.

And let me ask you again about your second photo: From which Olympic forum exactly do you have it? Sorry for being so picky, but we have to keep copyright laws.

You are right about the photo date.

The photo I found in this site http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=93271038

The two spotlights are confusing. They seem to be coming from the back side of the triangular lights.

I'm stumped. The only thing I'll argue is that it's not on the Orbit.

Screen-shot-2012-07-09-at-11.45.01.png

Does not have to do with the cauldron, but what are those three rings between the spotlights on the roof?

Gotta give the organizing team credit, we're getting close to zero hour and none of us really have a solid clue.

If you look closer, you'll see there are five rings. That's pretty obvious what that is.

My questions are...

What are those blue boxes?

What is that blue-green angular thing on the roof just to the right of the Tor, above the grey strip of seating? And that green mesh on the other side?

They're temporary video screens to be used during the ceremony as the Tor and the stage / bell block the stadium's permanent screens.

We really should have a "Spot the Cauldron" competition with a decent overhead shot of the stadium and surrounding areas. We each put our mark on it and closest gets bragging rights.

Great idea. I think what we need is a comprehensive site plan of the stadium and immediate environs with a grid overlaid. That way we can easily "call out" what spots we think and easily judge who was closest.

Sign in to follow this