London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

What does loom largely from the VIP box? The Orbital or the potential site of the cauldron?

The Orbit. At the moment it is the only thing outside the stadium that you can see from inside.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

Is it true of the story that Cathy Freeman was shivering backstage from being soaking wet and no one offers her even a towel?

I don't know if that happened or not.

During the OC, it was a very cool night and when Cathy descended the stairs a little while afer the Cauldron lighting, and standing wet at the bottom of the stairs with the other final group of torchbears around her, someone gave Cathy Freeman a jacket to wear. TV footage shows Cathy wearing it over her shoulders and and also Dawn Fraser vigourously rubbing Cathy's arms to help keep her warm.

Edited by AustralianFan

Is the cauldon/pole something that will lean against the stadium...therefore can be brought in (and rehearsed with) like 36 hours before the 27th...and while the "no-fly" zone is in effect--and just get clamped onto that outer girder of the stadium? (And the pole of course would have the gas lines from the ones pre-planted in the ground?

And something leaning against the side of the stadium could be very easily draped...and drapery removed until the last minute?

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Is the cauldon/pole something that will lean against the stadium...therefore can be brought in (and rehearsed with) like 36 hours before the 27th...and while the "no-fly" zone is in effect--and just get clamped onto that outer girder of the stadium? (And the pole of course would have the gas lines from the ones pre-planted in the ground?

Certaibly is possible. The Sydney Cauldron and the column which lifted it was attached to a very tall vertical structure attached to the outside edge of that end grandstand.

London's roof would certainly support the weight of a person lifted up and walking on a roof pathway to light such a located Cauldron. This roof area above the tree in a recent OC thread picture showed a particularly brightly lit area on the roof which could be just an area for performers to sing etc and/or it could be an 'ignition' or 'launch area' for the final torchbearer/s (?)

0707013-thumb450x-1.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

Someone here mentioned already quite a long time ago such a (possible) cauldron hanging over the rim of the roof from the outside. It was quite a nice idea. But even such a cauldron (whether it will lean against the stadium or stand with some distance to it) needs some kind of foundation and space. Both things aren't available anymore on the stadium's concourse, it's full of service booths now.

Who knows -- it might even be the goddamn Orbit in the end.

I think the "oak tree" is the cauldron ... or the thing that is under the tree ...

As mentioned earlier on this thread, the Tree or under is highly unlikely to he the Cauldron as it is smack bang in the middle of the allocated seating area for the athletics competion starting about a week later :) .

A swirling flame on a windy day from a Cauldron located under the tree would be close to the surrounding spectators and stadium structure itself, not too mention the many overhead flying wires criss crossing the stadium arena that any Cauldron rising up would not be able to push through.

A person being lifted up to the roof to start the Cauldron ignition sequence would be able to fit through the gaps in the wires and up onto the roof, while still in full view of most in the stadium. See the heavily spotlighted roof area.

0707013-thumb450x-1.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

Someone here mentioned already quite a long time ago such a (possible) cauldron hanging over the rim of the roof from the outside. It was quite a nice idea. But even such a cauldron (whether it will lean against the stadium or stand with some distance to it) needs some kind of foundation and space. Both things aren't available anymore on the stadium's concourse, it's full of service booths now.

Who knows -- it might even be the goddamn Orbit in the end.

I think baron might have meant a completely vertical structure securely attached and against the outside of the stadium (?), not in the middle of crowd flow on the concourse.

This was how Sydney did it with Cauldron's very tall external structure attached to the grandstand and the base of it right amongst the spectators at ground level below but not in the way of crowd movement in the area.

Edited by AustralianFan

I think baron might have meant a completely vertical securely attached and against the outside of the stadium (?), not in the middle of crowd flow on the concourse.

This was how Sydney did it with Cauldron's very tall external structure attached to the grandstand and the base of it right amongst the spectators at ground level below but not in the way of crowd movement in the area.

This photo with my very happy Mum in the foreground shows the Sydney 2000 Cauldron supporting structure behind going all the way to the ground. The Stadium itself appeared to provide a great deal of strong support for that temporary external tower structure.

phpKT9eSdAM.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

As mentioned earlier on this thread, the Tree or under is highly unlikely to he the Cauldron as it is smack bang in the middle of the allocated seating area for the athletics competion starting about a week later :) .

A swirling flame on a windy day from a Cauldron located under the tree would be close to the surrounding spectators and stadium structure itself, not too mention the many overhead flying wires criss crossing the stadium arena that any Cauldron rising up would not be able to push through.

A person being lifted up to the roof to start the Cauldron ignition sequence would be able to fit through the gaps in the wires and up onto the roof, while still in full view of most in the stadium. See the heavily spotlighted roof area.

0707013-thumb450x-1.jpg

This sounds logical,... either way I have the feeling that this area will definitely somehow be involved with the lighting of the cauldron... even partial :)

There is a light on the orbit?

usually red lights on high buildings have to do with aeronautical security...

Edited by savas
  • Like 1

They'll be in the stadium for three hours nevertheless - how is that possible? Didn't you say that the rehearsals will be run in real time? That would mean that they start at 9 p.m., unless they include the pre-show as well.

I forgot to say earlier that Sydney and Athens OC dress rehearsals did not include the pre-show entertainment :)

We really should have a "Spot the Cauldron" competition with a decent overhead shot of the stadium and surrounding areas. We each put our mark on it and closest gets bragging rights.

In a short interview Clare Amsel, producer of the Paralympic Opening Ceremony was asked:

Do you have a favorite lighting of the olympic cauldron moment?

- "It hasn't happend yet! I already know the London Cauldron will be the most beautiful ever so this will be my favorite."

That's a great answer.

I still wouldn't throw away the possibility of having a "ceremony-only" cauldron and then having an identical one outside the stadium somewhere.

I really don't think that will happen in the same sense as it happened in Vancouver. They only got away with that because of the indoor arena, and frankly it wasn't a very popular move. However, I've always thought the London lighting could see a cauldron rise in the middle of the stadium, with that lit and the flame then disappearing down it's stem and into the ground and then up the stem of the actual larger cauldron outside the stadium.

So frustrating though - I so kind of want to know but kind of don't - though luckily my memory isn't the best so most things I read I'll forget by the night anyway.

We really should have a "Spot the Cauldron" competition with a decent overhead shot of the stadium and surrounding areas. We each put our mark on it and closest gets bragging rights.

That's a great idea. I'll open a new thread for this.

My exact same thought with you as well OZfan. The bright patch on the roof is definitely an ignition or launching pad for the final torchbearer to an external cauldron.

0707013-thumb450x-1.jpg

I think that highlighted area is a platform that will raise up. Why do I think this? Well, I was looking at recent photos of the stadium interior and found that the wires stretching above and over the roof join together to make a perfectly circular shape at the centre of the stadium bang in line with this highlighted area, this tells me that a platform will rise from the centre and pass through this circle, therefore not interrupting the cables above!

If the cauldron were to be at a distant location, say over Tower Bridge or even remotely, atop the Shard building, can they do a beacon-relay in the Final Lighting--as was done I believe when Hadrian's wall was active? Start the first beacon at Oly Stadium--and then shown to the stadium & TV viewing audience via jumbotron screens....say, six different locations (maybe those places where there is a huge crowd watching via giant screens?) around the city (using those smaller, overnight cauldrons of the Torch Relay) do the "relay" until it reached the Tower Bridge or Shard location??? So, you would have at least 4, 5 or 6 different final lighters at various locations?

I think that highlighted area is a platform that will raise up. Why do I think this? Well, I was looking at recent photos of the stadium interior and found that the wires stretching above and over the roof join together to make a perfectly circular shape at the centre of the stadium bang in line with this highlighted area, this tells me that a platform will rise from the centre and pass through this circle, therefore not interrupting the cables above!

Huh? Do you realize why they built a stage that's about 9-feet high? Because the water table at this site is kinda high...and that's why there are NO tunnels in this stadium. So the digging probably cannot go more than 10-feet deep. Therefore anything rising out of that center, realistically, cannot be more than 18 feet high. And they will have to tear it down/remove it immediately after midnight to prepare the field for the Athletics competition. So, your imaginary scenario is quite implausible. A smaller, if temporary, cauldron might appear...but nothing too tall or permanent.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

If the cauldron were to be at a distant location, say over Tower Bridge or even remotely, atop the Shard building, can they do a beacon-relay in the Final Lighting--as was done I believe when Hadrian's wall was active? Start the first beacon at Oly Stadium--and then shown to the stadium & TV viewing audience via jumbotron screens....say, six different locations around the city (using those smaller, overnight cauldrons of the Torch Relay) do the relay until it reached the Tower Bridge of Shard location??? So, you would have at least 4 different final lighters?

Huh? Do you realize why they built a stage that's about 9-feet high? Because the water table at this site is kinda high...and that's why there are NO tunnels in this stadium. So the digging probably cannot go more than 10-feet deep. Therefore anything rising out of that center, realistically, cannot be more than 18 feet high. And they will have to tear it down/remove it immediately after midnight to prepare the field for the Athletics competition. So, your imaginary scenario is quite implausible. A smaller, if temporary, cauldron might appear...but nothing too tall or permanent.

Thank you for that... Just an idea haha

If the cauldron were to be at a distant location, say over Tower Bridge or even remotely, atop the Shard building, can they do a beacon-relay in the Final Lighting--as was done I believe when Hadrian's wall was active? Start the first beacon at Oly Stadium--and then shown to the stadium & TV viewing audience via jumbotron screens....say, six different locations around the city (using those smaller, overnight cauldrons of the Torch Relay) do the relay until it reached the Tower Bridge or Shard location??? So, you would have at least 4 different final lighters?

You do realise a pillar of the size you suggested doesn't have to be just one whole piece, it could rise from inside each other like a Russian doll...

Thank you for that... Just an idea haha

You do realise a pillar of the size you suggested doesn't have to be just one whole piece, it could rise from inside each other like a Russian doll...

Plus I the pillar I suggested is a platform for the final torchbearer to light the cauldron (wherever that may be) or to begin a leap of faith to it?!