London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Mine wouldn't. I still think we'll see a seperate stucture to the North of the Stadium.

The trouble with that graphic Kev (obvious health and safety dangers aside), is that the only good view of the cauldron will be from OUTSIDE the Olympic Park since that's the only angle from which none of the Orbit obscures its own observation platform. From inside the stadium and from inside the Park itself the top of the observation tower is obsucured by the structure itself. Can't see that working.

7091659717_c00dc08c33_b.jpg

6925754054_69cc10849e.jpg

Photos by andy Wilkes and Pondspider on Flickr

Edited by RobH

I like your idea of the cauldron being on the orbit [though it may be a bit too warm to be that close, judging by the size of the flame(s)]. Still, hoping its on a separate structure.

If they do build one in the coming weeks, I imagine it to borrow its look from the Torch, simple and elegant. Central sturdy core with a light material spiraling up.

If it is indeed on the cauldron, the most intriguing is how are they going to lit the flame and how they transfer it onto the Orbit. If it is allowed to be lit outside the stadium, it will be a great built up of anticipation with the final torch bearer running up the spiral staircase with people lining alongside the stairs to cheer him with camera tracking his move. Imagine the moment when he came out from the stair on top of the orbit.... that aerial shot of him of just him and the cauldron, with London under his feet......

• Like 1

Hi to all fans, Aussie mates too,

Wouldn't it great to be there in London? I was luky enough to be there for Sydney and Athens Openings and dress rehearsals and a volunteer in Athens but savaged my already meagre credit card in the process. However, it was truly magical to be there and no regrets. Some of my best memories ever & met my lifelong partner to boot in Athens. Thankfully a mortage has made me more responsible these days, but no less of a fan.

I agree with you guys - the more I think about it, my money's now firmly on the Orbit being the focus of the Cauldron. How they'll do it is anyone's guess. But rest assured, however the Cauldron is lit and where it finally sits & how it is lit on the night, they will have found a way a long time ago to overcome concerns and maximise safety, visual, historical impacts and wow us all. Its usually been the mechanics of the lighting processes that have come unstuck from time to time so they will test and re-test that over and over again too of course.

At all the Olympic Games of the modern era, the tallest most eye catching structure in or near the stadium has nearly always been the Cauldron. I doubt the London organisers will want to change that by allowing such a tall "sight seeing" structure such as the Orbit to be "coincidentally" so close to the Stadium and upstaging the biggest moment of the London Games. Imagine the tall intimidating Orbit towering jealously above its shorter cauldron cousin nearby as it is ignited and thinking to itself: "it should have been me......".

I can't think of a Cauldron that would be more spectacular and eyecatching than being put onto the Orbit for these London Games. To build a Cauldron structure even taller than the Orbit defies imagination and would almost put the Cauldron into airline flightpaths. To get up there the cauldron lighter, or the flame itself, would have to as we Aussies say, take a cut lunch and a waterbag to last the distance.

A lot of us here on this forum agree that the Orbit's imaginative eye catching design and position so close to the Stadium is no co-incidence. Given the huge area of London Olympic Park, and if it was really meant to be merely a sight seeing Olympic themed structure, there are plenty of places where the Orbit could have been located, other than smack bang next to the stadium where it now "innocently" sits, wondering if anyone suspects its greater purpose.

A photo I just saw on the web last night (I'll try and find it again and post it here for you guys) shows the view from the top of the Orbit directly into the centre of the Stadium floor.

So how would they get the flame up to the Orbit? Thats the million dollar question.

The interesting thing about the Orbit is that the long spiral staircase to get up to the top is currently completely enclosed. To have the cauldron lighter take those stairs, they would first have to exit the stadium, cross the waterway then go up all those stairs, chased by frantic cameramen, round and round, up and up, and would take forever - a couple of stirring symphonies at least.

During the Opening Ceremony, the Orbit becoming the tallest "bonfire" ever built in the UK would have huge historical significance too. As we know, UK has a long history centuries ago of beacon bonfires being used to communicate across the country and burning from the tops of hills and mountains to warn other communities of advancing armies and the like. The modern take on that is to signal and welcome the world and be a stirring global beacon for peace and harmony through sport. A typical day in the life of an Olympic cauldron really.

London, you're teasing us. But you're shaping up to be absolutely extraordinary and the best Games yet!

philip

I guess they can pull a Doha-2006-esque lighting with the flame being lit in a cerimonial cauldron inside the Olympic Stadium and being 'electronically transfered' to a tower far far away. Doha used Aspire, London has its Orbit.

Yes Victor, I agree that could well happen. I loved the Doha 2006 Asia Games Opening Ceremony, such an amazing rotating ceremonial Cauldron, lit by the Sheik's son galloping all the way up a steep pathway to the top of the stadium from amongst the athletes on the stadium floor below. A little known fact but more money was spent on that complex opening ceremony and all it's beautiful flying props and artists than any Opening Ceremony preceding it, Olympics included. Beijing might have just topped it costwise since then, David Atkins was artistic director of Doha 2006 and also alongside Rich Burch for Sydney 2000.

I like what's being said there AussieFan, can imagine it vividly! Especially like your idea of the cauldron as a symbol of the bonfire, that's really neat and meaningful. I don't think they have the idea of having the Orbit as a cauldron tower at the very conception of the project. It might be along the way, someone said hey why waste the Orbit and let's put the cauldron on it then LOL

Personally I don't really like the idea of 'transferring' the flame or any blasting/ shooting method from the stadium to the top of the Orbit. More of an old-school fan where the final torch bearer lit the cauldron directly ala Athens and Sydney. As much as I like the idea of the torchbearer running up the spiral staircase building up the anticipation, I wonder how are they going to counteract the atmosphere in the Stadium where everyone will be basically looking at the big screen to see what's going on? Could there be an idea of two cauldron lighting ceremony going simultaneously in the stadium and the orbit? Just that logistically they need to think something really clever so they spectators in the stadium don't feel cheated being left out from the penultimate moment of the whole ceremony. That being said, I can imagine the torchbearer running out from the stadium towards the Orbit, where the public, athletes, children will line up all along the path to cheer him on. It will be great to bring the ceremony outside the stadium.

This is a view from the top of the Orbit and looks directly into the centre of the stadium floor:

This recent photo of the Orbit shows an interesting 'appendage' which begs the question: is it linked with a future Cauldron supporting structure? or does it just end in mid-air like that for artistic reasons?

You have to upload your pics on a website like http://imageshack.us/ and/or paste url from the web

This is an April-12 photo from the top of the Orbit looking directly into the centre of the stadium floor:

- thanks Swisso for the photo uploading tip :)ViewfromOrbit.jpg

This April photo of the Orbit below shows an interesting 'appendage' which begs the question: is it linked with a future Cauldron supporting structure? or does it just end in mid-air like that for artistic reasons?

OrbitAppendage.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

Yes, you're probably right Kevzz re the appendage just being artistic.

It still bugs me though that with the Orbit being so big and imposing and close enough to the Stadium to cast a shadow over it, how on earth they are going to light a Cauldron attached to the Orbit from inside the Stadium? That's assuming they don't send the lighter running outside the stadium and then up all those Orbit stairs?

Maybe similar to Beijing and flying the Cauldron lighter and Torch by zip wire from the Stadium floor up out and across to the Cauldron ?

I've just noticed today that in the Orbit photo background you can see they've started to hang flying equipment from the top of the Stadium for the Ceremonies. These are the remote controlled mechanical small black devices that hang from the zip wires across the tops of stadiums and have people or theatrical props hanging from them as they criss cross the stadium and "flying" during the big show. I saw the same devices hanging from the wires above Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Melbourne Com Games 2006. There are currently two of each device on several of the wires strung across the top of the stadium.

The "cleared" spaces inside the seating areas at one end of the Stadium are likely to be set aside for a stage, orchestra etc. Any Cauldron inside the Stadium would have to be big enough to be seen from outside the Stadium and "outdo" the massive Orbit sitting outside the Stadium. So thats why I can't see a super tall Cauldron structure being erected inside the Stadium, not at this late stage anyway.

Edited by AustralianFan

This is an April-12 photo from the top of the Orbit looking directly into the centre of the stadium floor:

- thanks Swisso for the photo uploading tip :)ViewfromOrbit.jpg

This pic is not an april's one... I would say almost last year one... No temporary pavilion on the stadium concourse as there was at the beginning of the month. And the "ceremony" infrastructure on the roof were at their beginning on this pic....

I was inside the stadium at the beginning of the month. Areas without seats were mostly in areas where they will build the press stand, the podium head-on and the big videoscreen ! No room for a cauldron from my pov...

Swisso, see my previous post where I mentioned that its in the second photo of the Orbit and in the background behind the Orbit is where the ceremony zipwire flying mechansims can be seen hanging from each of the wires strung across the top of the stadium - 2 on each wire which are in turn attached to the triangle shaped anchor points between the stadium lights.

I havent been to the stadium myself so am relying upon the accuracy of whoever uploads photos onto the internet to put the right date on their photos. The first photo taken from the Orbit looking into the Stadium was twittered and dated 1 April 2012 by whoever took it.

The second photo shown with the Orbit was dated 18 April 2012 and uploaded by someone different to the first. I can't verify the dates of either so the next best thing is to reconcile together on this Forum anything that doesn't fit or make sense in photos or theories with personal observations, and also those of anyone else interested on this Forum. This will help us all paint some sort of a picture of how preparations are going.

I agree with you also that its unlikely for any Cauldron to appear inside the Stadium at this late stage. I also now can't see any Cauldron structure being constructed outside the Stadium at any other location besides the Orbit this close to the Games. We'll all find out soon enough but its fun speculating for now.

Inside the Stadium, they often have a big stage for an orchesta and some of the performances, choirs, singers, etc within the Opening Ceremony so I'm guessing that pretty soon we will start to see some sort of structure start to be assembled for that part of the entertainment.

1st April 2010 pics (guaranteed ;-) )!

dscf0937w.jpg

Roof :

dscf0933w.jpg

General view (with screen, podium head-on, mixed zone & press stand)

dscf0930t.jpg

Mixed zone & press stand

dscf0928yc.jpg

Videoscreen & podium head-on

dscf0926l.jpg

Opposite videoscreen & possible stage !

dscf0920l.jpg

DarJoLe, anything is possible and these are all theories. But in answer to your question of "why?" I can say that at most of the Olympic Games of the modern era, the Cauldron has been almost always at the tallest point inside the stadium, on top of it, or on the tallest possible eyecatching structure near it. So everyone can see it for miles.

A beacon if you like.

For these Games, my money is on the Orbit being that very structure "conveniently" built smack bang next to the Stadium and, at 377 feet tall, it dwarfs everything in sight, including the Stadium itself.

With less than 3 months to go, I can't envisage the London organisers building a shorter Cauldron in the shadow of the bigger and more eye catching Orbit tower. It would be almost embarressing and I don't think they would make such a visual blunder. I think the Cauldron will 'complete' the Orbit and its real purpose will make sense then. Once the Cauldron is attached and that baby is lit up, wow!

Edited by AustralianFan

Swisso i didnt even notice it as i was gobsmacked by your excellent photos. I've always been fascinated by the intricate technical and creative preparations and their execution at Olympic Ceremonies. That you're working on Olympic related projects must be rewarding and interesting. I was a volunteer at Athens and enjoyed their's as well as the Sydney, Beijing and Vancouver Ceremonies. London is set to do a great job as well.

Edited by AustralianFan