London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

I think this design definitely is a clue to some elements of the ceremony. Almost certain it is the cauldron design. So in opening ticket the stems are sparsely arranged and in closing they are bunched together. Is this another 'puzzle' that Boyle mentioned? I have a feeling the cauldron will be made up of multiple elements and assembled together

Kev - your guess is as good as mine - they are keeping schtum on this one - even asked my Stage Manager and said she said she knew but hadn't even told her mother! it's there somewhere staring at us. i can't see evidence of a cauldron in the stadium or even where it would go - so must be outside!

i think the design on the closing ceremony ticket is very Heatherwick - so maybe a clue?

Looking at the ticket design; how about many 'spindles' which are lit by dozens of torch bearers all converging on the structure at the same time. Then, once they're all lit, the 'spindles' mechanically all merge into one cauldron as the final torch bearers back away from it. The cauldron structure itself seems to be alive and taking the flames from all the torch bearers and creating one cauldron once it has been "fed".

That's my mad guess anyway. Like a giant set of rain chimes, but with lots more spindles....perhaps the torch bearers could fly in above it, lighting each 'spindle' before they mechanically converge forming one flame....

C034504B-45D1-48EF-8DDE-5E697B8303F8.jpg

Edited by RobH
  • Like 4

I have a feeling with many spindles the lighting ceremony will include many 'lighters' as well. Perhaps many pre-selected athletes, or involves most of the athletes on parade, or involves the public. Let's see. It's safe to say there will be many smaller flames that form a big flame.

Maybe it's that "rain cloud"? Might it burst into a "fire cloud"? We should reassess everything by the 25th. Surely more clues will surface by then.

It'll be at most 3 lighters. Several is already too many. Harder to keep a secret.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

That matches what I was thinking but lacked skills to reproduce. I was thinking that it might also have the benefit of sharing the Olympic legacy around the UK with major cities being given one of the spindles to display

We had that discussion about the opening ceremony tickets before, and someone asked back then why they should give the look of the cauldron away in such a fashion. I ask the same question now. It doesn't make sense that they make such a big secret out of the cauldron's look and then publish it (or even only give hints) on their tickets.

IThe tickets are so abstract we don't know if they're giving anything away or not. And we won't know till after it's seen - it could just be a trumpet fanfare in the artwork. So I don't think those hints - if indeed that's what they are - can be called spoilers in any way because we won't KNOW they're spoilers till after the cauldron lighting!

I'm really liking the ideas for the cauldron that have been discussed here, and I'm liking the fact that none of us know, even those who've spent time in the stadium.

The opening and closing ceremony tickets seem to be evolutions of a theme - I don't remember anyone pointing out the para opening ticket design (right, below).

ticket_designs2_0.jpg

/\/\ Those are acrylic tooth veneer samples.

And the friggin' self-appointed photographers/spies around Olympic Stadium aren't doing a good enough job of supplying us with fresh clue-filled fotos every day! It's really their fault that we can't figure it out yet!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

What about the space where the Tor is? Once all that greenery goes flying off to where ever it is going and we hit dark, industrial London, that lush green and pleasant hill is going to look out of place. Plus it is already takes up a lot of real estate. Maybe there is a spiky sea urchin of a cauldron hiding beneath its green ripples?

As I just posted on SSC:

I think the secret will lay with the sheep and the cows. Ideas, said Heatherwick! It will be a dung-fueled cauldron; not your tired, traditional gas-fueled cauldrons. That's why Boyle is so insistent on using live farm animals. The gas lines were merely a ruse to throw everybody off!

So it'll be either the water-mill prop or, all the "suffragettes" and athletes gather all those giant NHS beds into the center and lite one BIG bonfire/cauldron!! It's all very organic in concept!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I find it hard to believe that the few people who know everything about the cauldron would bother relaying any information or design images to the graphic design team in charge of making the tickets. I mean, why bother? The only people speculating about the cauldron enough to catch the hint would be a handful on a couple of internet discussion boards. Not really worth the effort I think.

I find it hard to believe that the few people who know everything about the cauldron would bother relaying any information or design images to the graphic design team in charge of making the tickets. I mean, why bother? The only people speculating about the cauldron enough to catch the hint would be a handful on a couple of internet discussion boards. Not really worth the effort I think.

Agreed. Those were/are 2 different teams that worked on the tickets and the cauldron. I mean, many members of the Ceremonies team are not in on the cauldron situation, but they leaked it to the ticket design team?? Kinda odd.

Could it be Paul McCartney's piano maybe? :lol:

Agreed. Those were/are 2 different teams that worked on the tickets and the cauldron. I mean, many members of the Ceremonies team are not in on the cauldron situation, but they leaked it to the ticket design team?? Kinda odd.

Could it be Paul McCartney's piano maybe? :lol:

So you think the tickets are totally random abstract images? That would really surprise me.

I'm with Rob on this. I think the tickets are a clue to the cauldron, but the design is so abstract that it really doesn't give anything away.

I think given the ticket evidence it is safe to say that the cauldron will not be a standard "one flame" cauldron like Beijing, Athens, Sydney, Atlanta,etc...

The only other Olympics I can think of to compare this idea to is Munich 1972, with many different gas outlets...

1972-half-mast_1898667i.jpg

The El Alamein Fountain in Sydney's Kings Cross reminds me of this too.

3026892536_5f6dd5f285.jpg

_____

On an unrelated note - does anybody know what has happened to the support/podium of Sydney's Olympic cauldron? The fountain at Olympic Park only features the dish, with awkward sticks supporting it that were not part of the original design. Where is the original tower that rose up at the ceremony to support it? I always thought that it almost looked like an ode to Melbourne's Olympic cauldron.

What about the space where the Tor is? Once all that greenery goes flying off to where ever it is going and we hit dark, industrial London, that lush green and pleasant hill is going to look out of place. Plus it is already takes up a lot of real estate. Maybe there is a spiky sea urchin of a cauldron hiding beneath its green ripples?

We had that before. Besides that Adrian already wrote that the Tor is not the cauldron, the Tor can't be the cauldron because it would block the view onto the jumbotron and the seats in the blocks where the Tor is right now were available in the ticket sales for the athletic events.

Yeah, and London's preperations in general have been very efficient and streamlined. It'd be so unlike them to have highly classified ceremony information moving around to different Locog departments just for a few people to speculate widely about on the internet. So unnecessary and not worth the trouble.

I think we're really clutching at straws with this "ticket design must be a cauldron design hint!" theory.

does this shed any light (picture from By Pondspider on Flikr)

7455542814_b5cd7a35f5_h.jpg

The bridge in question, the one that is suggested to be covering up cauldron construction, is not this one, but rather the large pedestrian bridge that would be immediately to the left of this photographer. If only s/he had taken a photo of what is going on under that bridge, we might have a clue.