London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

I think the barges are actually holding several generators, there's an enormous amount of temporary power already installed at the stadium. Correct, there is a ledge over the Tor but it doesn't look strong enough to support a substantial structure. I do know what it's for but, respecting confidentiality, you won't find out until show time. Sorry!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

I think the barges are actually holding several generators, there's an enormous amount of temporary power already installed at the stadium. Correct, there is a ledge over the Tor but it doesn't look strong enough to support a substantial structure. I do know what it's for but, respecting confidentiality, you won't find out until show time. Sorry!

Judging by the size of the ledge and it's prominence position, I think it is to be used for someone performing something on it. Should be strong enough to support a person, no?

I still strongly believe the tor HAS got to be used for some other purpose. That tree and the tor is not placed there without any practical function. We know the tree will be lifted up at some point, but what comes under or what replaces it is still up in the air. At this stage I will bet all my chips on the cauldron being lit on this tor/ mound/ stage.

Strong arguments against the Tor as location of the cauldron is that it would block the view of the jumbotron (OK, they only installed the right one at that end of the stadium so far, but what should they build a jumbotron for if they don't want to use it?) and in this seating plan you can see that the blocks where the Tor stage is right now have numbers (it's around block 150 to the left) and therefore are/were obviously available for athletics ticket sales.

OlympicStadium-001-0011.jpg

And by the way, didn't Adrian already say that the Tor is not the cauldron's location?

Another thing: It will be interesting how they want to provide the audience members at the southern end close-ups of the ceremonial performers if the jumbotron at the northern end is blocked by the Tor.

The same could apply to the jumbotron at the southern end because the huge bell could be in the way.

Another thing: It will be interesting how they want to provide the audience members at the southern end close-ups of the ceremonial performers if the jumbotron at the northern end is blocked by the Tor.

The same could apply to the jumbotron at the southern end because the huge bell could be in the way.

The jumbotrons are still in place (or are being erected at the moment); additional jumbotron-type screens will be suspended above the northern seats.

I'm being careful not to reveal anything that can't be classed as common knowledge!

The jumbotrons are still in place (or are being erected at the moment); additional jumbotron-type screens will be suspended above the northern seats.

I'm being careful not to reveal anything that can't be classed as common knowledge!

Oh Jeesuz, no one's going to know. Those Confidentiality Agmts are so silly. I mean Boyle is already revealing so much. How come only they CAN reveal things? Basic rule in life: agmts are made to be broken. They're getting free sweat from you. U're entitled to exercise your freedom of speech! C'mon, spill one for the Gipper! ;)

And by the way, didn't Adrian already say that the Tor is not the cauldron's location?

I think the lighting ceremony will happen on the Tor, but where the lit cauldron will move to next is anyone's game. Obviously the Tor and bell stage at either end will be dismantled by the time athletics starts.

Thanks for the information! But what will the spectators on the northern side do? Or will the jumbotron on the southern side not be blocked by the bell?

Oh Jeesuz, no one's going to know. Those Confidentiality Agmts are so silly. I mean Boyle is already revealing so much. How come only they CAN reveal things? Basic rule in life: agmts are made to be broken. They're getting free sweat from you. U're entitled to exercise your freedom of speech! C'mon, spill one for the Gipper! ;)

Okay. There are Teletubbies living under the stage!

Thanks for the information! But what will the spectators on the northern side do? Or will the jumbotron on the southern side not be blocked by the bell?

The stadium's still in a state of flux so there could well be other screens that appear; the bell itself doesn't hugely obscure the jumbotrons at the bell end. As for the lighting, there's going to be some theatre leading up to it which I think Adrian's already alluded to, but I don't yet see how it's going to link in to the lighting of the cauldron.

Not much help, I know!

SwissO, wasn't that circle area on the other side of the canal your original suspect spot when you started this thread on 3 April?

Yes it was !

From the Virtual Tour posted by Rob in the olympic park thread:

http://www.jasonhawk...irtualtour.html

Anyone noticed that quaint little arch bridge linking the colour mosaic bridge across the river to the green landscape to the east of the stadium? There's two little rectangle white patches on the grass. Firstly, what is that little arch bridge for? It looks so disproportionate and odd, linking to that patch of landscape that really is a dead end with no special interest. Could it be the bridge is special access only and the rectangle patches are where the cauldron is?

Pictures taken at the beginning of April 2012

dscf0886z.jpg

what proof do you have to let us know you really are in the ceremony

Sigh, no proof that I'll share here but I do know enough not to go posting confidential pictures of the stadium - whoever took those was going against the spirit of being involved in the ceremonies and also against their contract (not that they show anything new). Don't you guys think it's more fun to keep guessing what will be in the show and we can say if you're heading in the right or wrong direction?

I'm sure that Adrian would be able to confirm anything that I've said.

And there are no Teletubbies - as far as I know.

It goes to show just how dramatic the transformation of the area has been, that the green bridge is one of the few remaining parts of the old site.

719249732_2eff39895a.jpg

Carpenters Lock / Bridge over City Mill River by captainzep, on Flickr

I'm liking SwissO's theory about the white plate on the island. It's on a direct line from the bell, through the Tor, and satellite imagery from a couple of years ago shows that the plate was in place as the stadium was being fitted out (this image is from June 2010):

heatherwicksarc.jpg

There's one other confidential reason why I'm pretty confident about this location for the cauldron, which I can't reveal here. So I'm writing it on this piece of imaginary paper, and putting the paper in this imaginary envelope, which I'll open on July 28th to prove the sceptics that I'm not mad!

• Like 1

It goes to show just how dramatic the transformation of the area has been, that the green bridge is one of the few remaining parts of the old site.

719249732_2eff39895a.jpg

Carpenters Lock / Bridge over City Mill River by captainzep, on Flickr

I'm liking SwissO's theory about the white plate on the island. It's on a direct line from the bell, through the Tor, and satellite imagery from a couple of years ago shows that the plate was in place as the stadium was being fitted out (this image is from June 2010):

heatherwicksarc.jpg

There's one other confidential reason why I'm pretty confident about this location for the cauldron, which I can't reveal here. So I'm writing it on this piece of imaginary paper, and putting the paper in this imaginary envelope, which I'll open on July 28th to prove the sceptics that I'm not mad!

Thanks kinetic that picture with the red line really hits the white plate at the exact north south axis! Now this is getting more interesting, and it had been there so early in construction. That old relic bridge seems to be placed there for a reason. Why would they want to link and make people go to that little landscape bank which is cut off from the rest of the stadium concourse?? I think we are onto something here... at last?

If they wanted to have lots of people cross the water there to see a cauldron, they would have a considerably bigger bridge. Not a small narrow one.

Maybe it is not their plan to have the public get up close to the cauldron, and the cauldron structure is not meant to be viewed from such close proximity. If it is a tall tower, it would be best appreciated from a certain distance and I think across the river is the minimum distance to appreciate the design and see the flame on top. Also the small bridge will only be used for special access only eg. maintenance, VIP.

BTW that iron bridge had uncanny resemblance to Heatherwicks rolling bridge. Pure coincidence or part of the scheme?

Edited by kevzz

If they wanted to have lots of people cross the water there to see a cauldron, they would have a considerably bigger bridge. Not a small narrow one.

Good point if the cauldron were small and/or low. However the original planning permission gave the scope for a very tall cauldron, much taller than the stadium roof, and the view of it will be good from many points in the park including bridges C and D between which the white square is located.

If I could work out the height of the stadium canopy, then I'd be ready to make a bet on the height of the cauldron.

The bridge design is coincidence. It's been there for years and years as pointed out above.

And is there a close-up aerial pic up of this "plate" area? I sound like a broken record in this thread by continuing to bring this up, but such a tall cauldron would require a sizable foundation to support it. Is there any evidence of a foundation in this "plate" area?

With pretty much a month to go until rehearsals... I'm getting ready to completely 100% throw out the possibility of a tall cauldron tower... There just ins't anymore time left to build one...

Judging by the size of the ledge and it's prominence position, I think it is to be used for someone performing something on it. Should be strong enough to support a person, no?

I too am guessing the that the ledge might play a role in the Cauldron lighting sequence and I'm still leaning heavily to the Cauldron itself being outside the Stadium.

Adeyb, I'm guessing that the tree being lifted up is probably part of the theatrics of an OC sene changing segment or it may be part of the extended theatrics during the Cauldron lighting segment itself.

However, I don't think that the Cauldron itself can be anywhere in that Tree area as that is amongst the published athletics spectator seating area. Also to transfer a Cauldron up to a location on the stadium roof would seem highly unlikely given the that the translucent temporary roof does not appear capable of supporting the weight of a Cauldron of any significant size.

The roof however does appear to support the dispersed weight of performing ledges, stagehands, theatrical, lighting and pyrotechnics equipment. After both Games, the Stadium top tier and its temporary roof will be dismantled as part of the Stadium's legacy plans.

Okay. There are Teletubbies living under the stage!

Lol !!

Good point if the cauldron were small and/or low. However the original planning permission gave the scope for a very tall cauldron, much taller than the stadium roof, and the view of it will be good from many points in the park including bridges C and D between which the white square is located.

If I could work out the height of the stadium canopy, then I'd be ready to make a bet on the height of the cauldron.

With pretty much a month to go until rehearsals... I'm getting ready to completely 100% throw out the possibility of a tall cauldron tower... There just ins't anymore time left to build one...

Its true there isn't time to build a new one but, don't worry, I think that the tall cauldron structure is already built.

London's Cauldron will be blazing high and seen for miles - I'll bet my crown jewels on that.

Edited by AustralianFan

That white/greyish square was one of my first guesses (didn't SwissO originally guess that the cauldron will be located in that small garden on the other side of the canal north/northwest of the stadium?).

But here's what speaks against it in my opinion:

1) It's actually much too small to be a solid foundation for a huge cauldron tower. And that tower would have to be huge indeed, because it's located on that lower concourse below the stadium's ground level. It would have to be at least about 70 metres in size, I estimate. It would only (possibly) work if the cauldron was a very slim needle -- as opposed to a slender, but solid tower as Torino had it.

2) That square is not really on the north-south axis of the stadium, but slightly to the east of it. The red line Kinetic drew on that satellite picture of the stadium would have to go through the middle of the northern tunnel leading onto the stadium's infield -- which it doesn't.

3) That square not the only white/greyish square near the canal. Look at this picture in full size -- you will see a similar square right beside the same canal east of the stadium, just below the Orbit. Furthermore, there are other (albeit smaller) white/greyish squares on the concourse near that colourful mosaic and near the bridge north of the stadium. To me, they appear to be gullies.

708994843787ec2b7aefo.jpg

I forgot a fourth reason against that square (besides the word "is" at the beginning of point 3 ("That square is..." ;)):

It's surrounded pretty closely by those young trees. Pretty dangerous, if you ask me, to let a flame "hover" above those trees...

the cauldron is already built and has been for some time now, it's just hidden or located off site where it was built and is ready to be placed just before the games begin! The best way to build something secretly is to build it somewhere else!

• Like 1