London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Addendum: Oh, did you (or the one who originally uploaded the picture) surround the plate with a white line? That's why it looks so different. So I don't think we can read anything into that. We'll still have to wait...

Very possibly, it's being hidden under the larger bridge. But they're going to have to cross-over that little bridge in order to get to the 'so-called' point X??? And if indeed it were that 'lower' site, there's very little solid footing there for workers to assemble it--not unless it'll all be done by cranes on the higher footing? But where are the cranes?

That tight, narrrow space is very problematic to assemble a huge tower. Not saying it can't be done, but they will have to have many OSHA (Occupational, Hazard) overseers there to see that the workers don't hurt themselves. That antique, quaint little bridge will probably get banged up putting the damn thing together.

Nope, I just don't see that spot as being the cauldron location.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Careful with jokes like that. I know you are kidding, but remember TowerGuy/YellowVest and what happended to him.

I'm not a fan of the Orbit either, but I take some comfort it will NOT be the site of the cauldron, just a monument to mayoral ego.

Well, let me say right here and now...this was a joke. I will NOT be in London. I will NOT be carrying the Olympic torch. And I really don't wish the Orbit to be burned down, although I do think it is ugly and does not suit the Olympic Park. If it did in fact hold the Olympic Flame, I'd be the first one to choke. But since it would then look like the world's largest hookah, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

Well, let me say right here and now...this was a joke. I will NOT be in London.

Phew - you don't want M15 sending 007 to crash into your living room!

But since it would then look like the world's largest hookah, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

It's their tribute to Athens. First the joint, and now the bong.

i think that there is a representation of the cauldron on the closing ceremony tickets that i received today - it's bizarre!

Picture?

Someone posted on Twitter. Isnt this similar to the opening ticket design? The trumpet/ stalk design

AwgJNlZCQAEsi00.jpg5Ne5Kd5Mb3k53I13p3c6j9e76f640da361fc2.jpg

Edited by kevzz

I think this design definitely is a clue to some elements of the ceremony. Almost certain it is the cauldron design. So in opening ticket the stems are sparsely arranged and in closing they are bunched together. Is this another 'puzzle' that Boyle mentioned? I have a feeling the cauldron will be made up of multiple elements and assembled together

• Like 1

I think this design definitely is a clue to some elements of the ceremony. Almost certain it is the cauldron design. So in opening ticket the stems are sparsely arranged and in closing they are bunched together. Is this another 'puzzle' that Boyle mentioned? I have a feeling the cauldron will be made up of multiple elements and assembled together

Kev - your guess is as good as mine - they are keeping schtum on this one - even asked my Stage Manager and said she said she knew but hadn't even told her mother! it's there somewhere staring at us. i can't see evidence of a cauldron in the stadium or even where it would go - so must be outside!

i think the design on the closing ceremony ticket is very Heatherwick - so maybe a clue?

Looking at the ticket design; how about many 'spindles' which are lit by dozens of torch bearers all converging on the structure at the same time. Then, once they're all lit, the 'spindles' mechanically all merge into one cauldron as the final torch bearers back away from it. The cauldron structure itself seems to be alive and taking the flames from all the torch bearers and creating one cauldron once it has been "fed".

That's my mad guess anyway. Like a giant set of rain chimes, but with lots more spindles....perhaps the torch bearers could fly in above it, lighting each 'spindle' before they mechanically converge forming one flame....

C034504B-45D1-48EF-8DDE-5E697B8303F8.jpg

Edited by RobH
  • Like 4

I have a feeling with many spindles the lighting ceremony will include many 'lighters' as well. Perhaps many pre-selected athletes, or involves most of the athletes on parade, or involves the public. Let's see. It's safe to say there will be many smaller flames that form a big flame.

Maybe it's that "rain cloud"? Might it burst into a "fire cloud"? We should reassess everything by the 25th. Surely more clues will surface by then.

It'll be at most 3 lighters. Several is already too many. Harder to keep a secret.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

That matches what I was thinking but lacked skills to reproduce. I was thinking that it might also have the benefit of sharing the Olympic legacy around the UK with major cities being given one of the spindles to display

We had that discussion about the opening ceremony tickets before, and someone asked back then why they should give the look of the cauldron away in such a fashion. I ask the same question now. It doesn't make sense that they make such a big secret out of the cauldron's look and then publish it (or even only give hints) on their tickets.

IThe tickets are so abstract we don't know if they're giving anything away or not. And we won't know till after it's seen - it could just be a trumpet fanfare in the artwork. So I don't think those hints - if indeed that's what they are - can be called spoilers in any way because we won't KNOW they're spoilers till after the cauldron lighting!

I'm really liking the ideas for the cauldron that have been discussed here, and I'm liking the fact that none of us know, even those who've spent time in the stadium.

The opening and closing ceremony tickets seem to be evolutions of a theme - I don't remember anyone pointing out the para opening ticket design (right, below).

ticket_designs2_0.jpg

/\/\ Those are acrylic tooth veneer samples.

And the friggin' self-appointed photographers/spies around Olympic Stadium aren't doing a good enough job of supplying us with fresh clue-filled fotos every day! It's really their fault that we can't figure it out yet!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

What about the space where the Tor is? Once all that greenery goes flying off to where ever it is going and we hit dark, industrial London, that lush green and pleasant hill is going to look out of place. Plus it is already takes up a lot of real estate. Maybe there is a spiky sea urchin of a cauldron hiding beneath its green ripples?